X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Ouch!!!

This month is a killer, I can't understand why some months lack 5 good titles, and some months are crammed with them...I have 13 titles on my wish list for this month:
    Magnificent 7
    Traffic
    Close Encounters of 3rd kind
    Shadow of the Vampire
    Hell is for Heros
    Superman
    Quills
    City slickers
    Tora,Tora,Tora SE
    the Sand Pebbles
    12 O'clock High
    Von Ryan's Express
    Catch 22

I have 4 of them so far...what about you?
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

City Slickers?

;D

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Yes, most of your titles are on my "must have" list, particularly

Close Encounters of 3rd kind
      Shadow of the Vampire
      Superman
      Quills
      Tora,Tora,Tora SE
      the Sand Pebbles
      12 O'clock High
      Von Ryan's Express
      Catch 22

and then there's some guilty pleasures and girl friend accomodations, like "What Women Want" that have already been picked up (the last at Albertsons Groceries, price unmarked, talked the checker into matching my typical CostCo price!).

Along those guilty pleasures line, how about

Big Trouble in Little China
      Dungeons and Dragons
      Sex in the City (second season)
      House of Mirth

It's an addiction, as Siligoose and others like us well know. Picked up two other titles last week at Target because they were cheap, "An American President", and the other I can't recollect at the moment, but I know it was one I wanted.

I'm beginning to sound like the women in the article on ABCNEWS.COM about implusive purchasing. Another type of obsessive/compulsive behavior.

Hey, I can stop anytime. Really. I just don't want to.

-Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

My list for this month:
        Magnificent 7
        Traffic
        Hell Is For Heroes
        Superman
        Tora Tora Tora
        Semi-Tough
        Candy
        Marilyn Monroe Box Set ( yummy)
        Vertical Limit
        Dungeons and Dragons ( this may be a mistake after what I've read about this title)
        Kenny-
        We do have similar tastes. The last 4 titles on your list I already own on laserdisc,though I am considering whether or not to replace them with dvd versions.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Made a mistake. I don't have 12 O'Clock High on LD. It's on VHS. Yukk. I'll be buying the dvd.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
            Office Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Will be buying:
            Miss Congeniality - Bought
            What Women Want - Bought
            X-Files Season 3 - Bought
            City Slickers - Bought
            Dungens & Dragons
            12 Monkeys/The Jackal
            Sex and the City; Season 2
            Once Upon a Time in China 2

Would like to buy:
            Big Trouble in Little China
            Canadian Bacon
            Shadow of the Vampire
            Traffic
            Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, SE

DVD's that jump off the shelf and into my cart:
            Marilyn Monroe Box Set
            Magnificent 7

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
            Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• KennyG
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Sep 2000

My sweetie's picks this month are Miss Congeniality, and What Women Want...If you enjoy Sandra Bullock, you'll enjoy this...I did.

What do you guys think of TV series on DVD? The one series I want to buy is Babylon 5...However, the Sopranos, or Sex in the City are very tempting.

I'll give you a run down from the eye and ear standpoint on those last four titles...if they're anything like Kelly's Heros, Deliverance, or Cool Hand Luke they'll be worth it.

Comment

• P-Dub
                Office Moderator
                • Aug 2000

What would you like to know re TV series on DVD?

I've got Sorpranos, Sex and the City, and X-Files Season 1, 2 and now 3. Also have the Best of Friends.

The quality of each set is very good. The best value is really X-Files, I'm paying just over $5/episode and that's including tax and in cdn$! I've gone through prett much all of Friends, and not having to speed through commercials is great. Same with X-Files, the very nature of the show is frustrating with commercial breaks, now you can go through without interuptions, and multi part shows, no problem.

Paul

Paul

Comment

• KennyG
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2000

The thing I'm really wondering about is just how often I'll watch a TV series...B5 is a must for me, and I enjoy Sex in the City and the Sopranos...I'm just not sure I'd get my monies worth out of them.

George...you have GOT to take a look at Quills, and Shadow of the Vampire, these are two of the best movies I've seen in the last year...I can also say that D&D was a big let down, Jeremy Irons was the only good thing about that movie, Thora Burch was absolutely terrible, I'd urge you to rent it before you buy...and this comes from a sci-fi/ fantasy lover!!! I collect Dragons as kind of a hobby, so I was jazzed when I heard this movie was coming out, needless to say I payed 4.50 for a matinee, it was worth about 2.50 so I lost 2 bucks in the deal.

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Well, X-Files is a must for me as well. Even though I've only watched about 2 episodes out of the whole set. I even have the shrinkwrap on Season 2 and 3. I figure if I'm not watching it right away, might as well leave it on. Sex and the City is for my wife, she really likes the show, I watch it occasionally. Sopranos, well we saw the first season during the olympics and was hooked. Now we've only watched the first episode, but I know we're going to watch the whole series again.

Well you'll have to make the ultimate value judgement. In fact last night I was thinking about the cost of my future DVD purchases. How do I figure out what is worth spending my money on? Is is viewability, collectibility, or selection? Most title fall under viewability, how many times can I watch this before I get sick of it. I'd say all my titles I can watch several times. Then there are some that are really for my collection. Titles that I've always wanted to watch or own, but may not have multiple viewing as the top priority. Then the selection part, like man that's cheap, I might as well buy it instead of rent it. That way if someone looks through my collection they can say, oh I never saw that, is it really that bad? I can say, well lets find out.

And I'm sad to hear another fantasy fan let down by D&D. I missed this in the theaters, and the cost of the dvd is low enough for me to consider a purchase. Maybe I'll let my friend buy it and I'll borrow it from him.
                    Paul

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

I hear you,Kenny, regarding D&D.
                      As far as Quills and Shadow Of The Vampire, I was planning on renting these first to see if I'd want to own, but after what you've just said, I'll be purchasing both.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"