X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

I will not buy another DVD!

Every time I buy a new release the studio announces an enhanced special edition to be released in a few short months. Of course, I end up with two copies of the same damn film!!!

I've decided to wait 6 months after each new release to see if a "special edition" comes out. If not, I'll buy the original release. Few films will be void of my new policy (SW:Ep1 among them).

Anyone else have similar frustrations?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

I have doubles of several DVDs now, but for the most part I've been able to keep up with this rerelease stuff, the one that caught me off gaurd was "the Princess Bride", other than that, most of the quick SE remasters I have caught, it's the one's that are about a year to a year-and-a-half that are getting me...so I get one to two viewings of the original, then turn around a buy the SE, not much of a return on that first buy...Kenny

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

If the title I buy has a good transfer, I usually pass on any future releases of so called special editions. For me, the movie comes first. Hell, I've got tons of DVDs with extras I've never taken the time to view.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

In one way, some of the studios make it easy for me. I didn't buy "The Rock" or "X Files: Fight the Future" until recently, (same with several other titles) because only the recent "Enhanced Widescreen" versions have been Anamorphic. Since all my displays since 98 have suppoted Anamorphic, I'm a bit of a stickler on that (except for some really old classic films, particularly foreign). Given there are *so* many DVD's available that I would like, it's easy to justify just buying the ones (mostly) that look the best- all other factors being roughly equal.

But even I have some "dual" disks, both 16X9, such as adding "Leon: The Professional" for the European/Director's cut, the second edition of "Twister", etc, though I *don't* have the special T2 release- am I missing anything with that one?

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Sep 2000

Criterion's new transfer of "the Rock" is outstanding, and has a great DTS soundtrack.
          As far as the SE of T2 goes, no, your probably not missing a thing, both transfers are awesome...wait, you are missing something, about 12 extra minutes of footage that was put back in for the SE, and a very good DTS soundtrack...so I change my stance, yes, you are missing something...Kenny

Comment

• Lexman
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2000

I feel your pain Sili. This is a vexing problem for the enthusiast. Faced with passing the "day's favorite" film, saying, ahh, check it in 6 months. Yeah right. If it s a film I want, I know I will grab it regardless. But I really need to slow down myself anyway, not enough hours in a day to keep buying and buying. So, I need to be more selective, whether the first release or not.

Lex

Comment

• Markj
              • Aug 2000

There are several stores in my area that will take used DVD for store credit. So if I want to repurchase a movie to get the SE version that is what I do. I least I get something for my old DVDs. I live close to Ken Crans and it is very difficult to slow down the impulse buying.

Comment

• KennyG
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2000

Hey Goose...have you been living up to this thread???

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

Yup!

It's been tough but I have yet to pre-order Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Traffic, or Close Encounters because I am very certain "special editions" of these discs will be released. The listed features of these forthcoming discs is really devoid of anything all that special.

Not sure how much longer I can hold out!!

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"