X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

MGM's recent batch of Westerns

The titles I'm referring to are The Big Country, Vera Cruz, The Hallelujah Trail, etc. The latter was the first one I played and much to my dismay, it turned out to be nonanamorphic. Yukkk. Good ol' MGM inconsistency.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

I've also read another post that says Big Country is not presented in it's OAR, and the picture is way to dark...MGM STINKS!!!! That said, I must buy it anyway.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I have Big Country, but haven't watched it as yet. I did watch Vera Cruz last night and the anamorphic transfer was pretty good, but dirty. MGM is not interested in producing a quality product, that's for sure.Too bad, because they still have a lot of great titles in their vaults that should be released on dvd.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2000

This is driving me nuts, I can't find Big Country anywhere!
        Like many other titles, I suppose it's going to take a couple weeks for the stores around here to catch up.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Hey,Kenny-
          I'm usually cursing to myself after reading posts about titles you guys in the south seem to get before we northerners. Every one of those MGM westerns were released at the same time here in Canada.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

I have seen Vera Cruz here, but I gotta be careful of which discs I buy right now, with my recent video display upgrades (and now again moving up) I promised my better half I'd slow down on the disc purchases.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Of course, with the upgrade, you're going to want all the newer anamorphic releases, because they are getting better and better at transfers, aren't they.Oh, where does it all end ?

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2000

That is becoming a big problem, the first thing I look for when buying a disc is "enhanced", without it I just put it down. The NEC shows sub standard transfers in a terrible light! Once am upgrade is complete it'll be even worse.
                It never ends...I'm even replacing any un-enhanced discs I have...that is whenever they are remastered.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I've also been replacing unenhanced disks.One thing is certain.Kenny. The better quality the display device is, the less forgiving it is for stuff like vhs, analog broadcast and laser discs.My Sony VPL400 LCD projector is very unforgiving, even to the point where I have had to replace many laser discs.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"