X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

A new standard!

If you want to show off the video portion of your system, check out Arnold's new movie "the 6th Day"!!!
    The video transfer may be the best to date! It is absolutely stunning from beginning to end, this is how all new movies should look.
    The movie is actually pretty good too. Much better than that "End of Days" dribble he did before this one.
    The movie is about man's right to play god...cloning, and while it doesn't dive deep into the real meat of that issue it does touch on many of the complications of the issue. However, make no mistake, this is an Arnold action movie, not as good as the Terminator series, Predator, or Total Recall, but better than his others.
  • P-Dub
    Office Moderator
    • Aug 2000

But how's it sound? Missed this in the theaters. Was planning just to rent, but now, I don't know. Might just have to buy it.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.
    Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

As with most of the new releases, the sound is 5.1 and very good...if you like Arnold's movies you may want to buy it, if your "on the fence" (so to speak) with his stuff you may want to rent it first...Kenny

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I have this one ordered. Looking forward to it. BTW, my computer was out of commission for a couple of weeks so I am just now trying to play catch up.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Hi Kenny,

I picked this one up on the way home, based on your recommendation- some reviewers had been so-so about it, but hey, I'm a sucker for a recommendation on video quality!

I did pop in the new ATI drivers first, 7093 the current rev, and the update on the ATI DVD player, which exposes the video panel, including gamma setting. After a little bit of tweaking with known disks, popped in the new "Anuld".

Transfer *is* excellent, easily on a par with "Fifth Element", though not given to such overblown effects. Very nicely done, and an entertaining story, too. Definitely a keeper.

BTW, I'm in that minority of people who actually liked the darker story of "End of Days" and the at times ambigious character Arnold played. What I *didn't* like was people bringing their sub ten year old kids into the movie at the theater, thinking it was going to be something on a part with some of his lighter "R" rated fair; this was a lot heaveir flick, and not suited for the kids at all.

BTW, if any of you haven't looked at the "Final Fantasy" movie trailer on this disk, do so immediately! It's the most amazing computer animation you've ever seen! I've heard about this before, but hadn't seen it. Pixar, watch out- there's a new kid on the block!

Have a good Friday, and a great weekend, everyone!

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

What! a Final Fantasy trailer??? I completely missed it! I've seen some pictures of this movie in magazines, and I'll be going to the theater to check it out!

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

So Kenny, did you go back and watch that trailer? Isn't it the cat's meow?

And on the subject of "The Sixth Day", did anyone besides me notice that the music was done by Trevor Rabin, former Yes Guitarist? (played in several reformulated version of yes, including "90125", and with Steve Howe in "Union"?

Yeah, probably not many Yes triva fanatics out there in HT Guide land.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KennyG
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2000

Watched the trailer tonight, I thought the human cgi was going to be smoother than that, but hey I'll go in looking at it as animation.
                I didn't even catch Rabin, but I do know who he is...Yes, Moody Blues, original Genesis, Hawkwind, I go back to that time also...but, my musical leanings are more in the present right now.

Comment

• P-Dub
                  Office Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

Bought it, and finally watched it last night. Simply put, I liked the movie. Wish I saw it in the theaters. And it was a beautiful transfer, damn, Vancouver never looked better! Great sound too.

Paul

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"