X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KennyG
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2000

Battlefield Earth

Well it's certainly not the book, but if you enjoy sci-fi, it is entertaining.
    If you've ever read the book, then you know this could have been a sci-fi epic...but we don't get the correct set up. There needs to be about 15 minutes in front of this movie to setup the village politics, bring in the village cripple that's a part of the book's story, and show us why Johnny had to go on this quest.
    The story's made to feel like it's told over a couple month period, when in reality it's a two year period. More time was need with the Psyhlo's home planet and their effect on the universe.
    Lastly I wish the "watchers in the sky" would have been presented, this alone would have added a half hour to the movie...all in all it needed to be about one hour longer. I will say this, Travolta got the mood and feel of the book dead-on!
    The transfer is excellent, most of this movie takes place in Psyhlo atmosphere, so the red gun on my projector is at very low output...alot of greens and blues, still very clear.
    The soundtrack is very clean, and very loud. At times you'll think the walls are fallin' in around you!
    It's fun, just don't expect 2001 or Alien.
    Kenny
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I never did read the book so I didn't have too much of a problem with the movie.I certainly found the storyline entertaining, and the picture and sound were right up with the best. Glad I bought this.
    George

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

Hi George!
      It's very different watching this at home, as I walked out of the theater I was disappointed in this one...but since I've gotten it on disc I've seen it twice, and enjoyed it more each time!...very stange, I have never watched the same movie twice in two weeks.
      I'll probably watch this again in the next week or two...very stange.

Comment

• Ken McDaniel
        • Aug 2000

Nope, nada. I gotta differ. How the hell would a flight of Harriers work after 1000 years in the hanger. Not to mention the power supply for the Harrier trainer. Wait, how the hell did the AV-8B Harrier, a Marine jet, end up at Ft. Hood, Texas. I WAS STATIONED THERE. THERE AREN'T ANY NUKES AT FT. HOOD!

Ken
        Ken

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I just saw this earlier this evening. Not as bad as many have said IMO. Not as good as others. It's okay. I think there were a few things that could have been better but, entertaining none the less. I think I will buy it.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• KennyG
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2000

Yeah Ken, that is the one thing I didn't mention on this post about it (I did mention it at HTT)
            In the book they stoled phsylo aircraft, much more believable, I believe I'm exact words were..."where the hell did those Harriers come from, and how'd they get fuel for them?"
            Yeah, that was the one real stinker.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"