X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Sunosub II needs a little help.

Okay, Sunosub II is operational, but I find that it's a bit "tubby" sounding mainly while I'm playing music, for HT, it's fine.

Just to rundown of its characteristics:

1 Tempest driver wired up as a 4 ohm load (DVC) in a downfiring position
    10ft^3 enclosure volume
    3 ports 4" wide 36" long (unflared) in a downfiring position
    Tuned to 16Hz.
    Lined with batting on the sides
    1" of MDF endcap layer inside the sonotube
    0.5" of MDF endcap layer outside the sonotube
    Using 1 amp channel from Peavey CS800X

I'm entertaining stuffing it with polyfil (how much should I stuff it with?)

Any other ideas?

Maybe scrap it and re-port it from the top with wider port(s)?

PatCave; HT Pix;Gear;DIY Projects;DVDs; LDs
  • Patrick Sun
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Well, I did something that really helped: I rotated the sub 180 degrees and then used my receiver's EQ to lower by 2dB at 125Hz. This smoothed out the sub's performance.

What happened is that I have my port side facing me, instead of having the driver side facing in my direction.

Much happier with Sunosub II.

I also hooked up Sunosub III and compared both of them individual (though I was too lazy to keep swapping them in my usual spot next to the TV's right hand side, so I just put Sunosub III on the left hand side of the TV).

I couldn't really discern that much difference while either sub was in operation while I was playing music, and when I had both subs in operation, it was still pleasing to the ear, and a little more bass all around. And The Matrix DVD sounded pretty nice during the helicopter crash and the shootout in the lobby scenes.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Pat

Sorry for the delay in responding. My ISP has been playing games.

Wouldn't expect the larger sub to be boomy. It should have more output. Probably exciting more room modes. Given the similarity between the 2 subs, I'd expect the differences to be most noticible with the lowest bass on DVD's. Something like "Titan-AE", or "The Haunting" should show the most obvious differences.

Placement can create major issues. This is what I'd suggest experimenting with if possible.

If you want to experiment with damping, try the following. Add damping a couple pounds or so at a time, then listen. There will be a point where the added amount doesn't tighten the bass, but instead only decreases the efficiency. Back off to the previous amount

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Patrick Sun
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2000

Thanks Thomas, I'll be listening to be more stuff tonight (hard to do while also trying to watch the Orange Bowl Game). I was really amazed at how much better Sunosub II soundeded when I rotated it so the driver was closer towards my direction with no porting in between the sub and I. Not sure if I'll stuff it for now (it's a real pain to flip over the sub and unscrew/screw in the driver).

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

ah I had a reply all typed out then lost it Anyway I'm surprised you're finding that sub bomy since its virtually the same as the one I own. As you've found out placemnt is usually the problem with boomy subs so keep trying out different options and I'm sure you'll find something that works

Comment

• Patrick Sun
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

My problem is that I have very limited space to put my sub, and not have a cabling nightmare in my living room. (y'all have seen my HT, it's just not conducive to trying the sub in different locations.

I did pull my front speakers out just a tad more outwards, and toed in more as well, and it helped in yielding a more open front stage.

If I get my cable modem back in action, I'll try to post some pix later.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"