X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BWLover
    • Jan 2009

Apartments with B&W

Does anybody here live in a concrete apartment high rise. I currently live in a low rise (wood structure) and the sound isolation is just horrid. I have heard from a few people that apartments made of concrete (usually high rises) are much more sound proof then wood. Anybody have some experience in concrete towers. If so please do tell how it was in terms of isolation. Thank you.
    Bowers & Wilkins 683 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Pioneer PDP-5070HD 50" Plasma
    Playstation 3
    Shaw HD PVR
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

I live in a high-rise (18 floor) condo building that has concrete between all units (including walls and ceiling/floor). I moved here from a house, and sold my sub (B&W ASW850) in anticipation of having less room and closer neighbors. After being here a little while, I ended up getting a smaller sub (Velodyne 8" MiniVee), which still sounds good but takes up much less space.

I try not to play my system TOO loud, but I do like to crank it up a bit for music and movies every now and again. The neighbor on the wall next to where my system resides never had any complaints, and when I asked them, they claimed they didn't hear it at all. It's actually pretty amazing how little we hear as well, but every once in a while you do pick up some noises, such as shoes on the hardwood floor above. But I've never heard anyone's tv or stereo.

We've been here two years now, and still no complaints.

Now, my in-laws live in another condo not too far away, and they pick up the beat from the neighbor's Sub pretty much every day. One more reason I'm glad we picked the building we did.
    Brad

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2006

I have been in a reinforced concrete apartment for almost 20 years now. I have had only 2 complaints, both from the same woman, and they were justified as the levels, at those times, were earsplitting. Other neighbors notice but comment favorably and some have asked to hear the system.

The system, at the moment consists of 3x802D, 2x804S and a jl f113. I have not had any complaints with this system but I use it exclusively for music, not home theater.
      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• JustinGN
        • May 2009

I gotta say, I'm curious about this as well. I'll finally be moving out soon and be able to expand my setup space-wise for better sound. I've heard (and believed) that a properly calibrated system won't anger the neighbors too much, and that uncalibrated HTiB setups tend to be the bulk of complaints, though the subwoofer comes in a close second. Of course, playing your system loud after 10pm doesn't help matters either.

For what its worth, here at the condo my parents are renting, units are separated by wood and insulation. My neighbor had his infants' room share a wall with mine, and even though I'd crank my system at all hours when the family was gone, he never complained or admitted I was waking up his child. I think it all depends on the construction quality: a rush or cheap job will have a negative effect on your maximum listening volume to neighbor anger ratio.

Comment

• Industrial
          • Mar 2009

My apartment is actually great for sound. I cAn put my rotel up loud enough you have to shout over it and from the hallway you can barely hear it. I have everything on spikes so that probably helps with my downstairs neighbours who would complain if they heard anything. It's pretty nice. When I get a house I may actually have to turn down the volume

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

Naw, in a house you can really shake the entire structure...

My favorite experience was when I was watching House of Flying Daggers so loud, when the guy pulled the sword out of it's sheath in one scene, the metallic/shrill sound was so loud it set off the glass breakage detector in my home security system! Imagine explaining that to the security service when they call moments later. ops:
            Brad

Comment

• jyj
              • Dec 2008

For several years, I have lived in a low rise Loft with 12' concrete ceilings, concrete subfloors, but covered with bamboo (Top Floor). Good separation between the neighbors and very open. I got a pair of 802Ds a few months ago and I haven't had any complaints. Also, I don't hear my neighbors either, so it's a good thing thus far. However, I did have to really pay attention and experiment a lot with calibration, but it is defintely worth the effort.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"