X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • John22614
    • Feb 2010

New to Forum

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello. I have been wanting to own B&W speakers for years and finally bought some new 804s mains and a HTM4s center a few weeks ago. Got them for a great price, and I may have gotten the last pair of new 804's left in Sacramento.

Anyway, I love them. Was considering the 805s but after doing a side by side comparison I thought the 804's had a much richer and deeper tone. I was previously running Polk reference LSI speakers and noticed a big improvement with the B&W's. The vocals are distinctly more natural and life like, the sound stage is more realistic and instruments are better spaced and silky smooth.

Sometime soon I will post pics of my new set up. In the meantime, my best to all. I have been reading your posts for many months and enjoying your comments and discussions.
    B&W 804s Mains
    B&W HTM4 Center
    Monitor Radius 180 Surrounds

Sony 46 HX929 TV
    Marantz AV 7005 processor
    Anthem MCA 30 Amp
    Panasonic 3D BluRay player
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to have new members. What surround processor do you have? I don't see one mentioned in your list of gear.

Eric

Comment

• John22614
      • Feb 2010

Hi Eric,

I'm running an Outlaw 990 processor. Thanks for asking. I added it to my signature. Its a very nice processor for the money.....less than a grand. No hdmi but I don't mind since I have plenty of audio inputs and I don't use it to process video.
      B&W 804s Mains
      B&W HTM4 Center

Sony 46 HX929 TV
      Anthem MCA 30 Amp

Comment

• Relentless
        • Jul 2007

Welcome I used an Outlaw 950 then a 990 processor for a while. Except for the bass management issues with 2ch bypass in the 990 early on before a few firmware updates the units preformed flawlessly. I still use one of there older American made amps for my surrounds.

It is a good time to get into B&W speakers with the upgrade to the D line. I am keeping a close eye on the used 803D's popping up and the more that pop up forces people to drop there price to compete(ahhhh Agon :T) I bet(or hope) they are going to drop to around $4500, then I will get some "D" surrounds.
        I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
        Lou

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Hi John22614,

Welcome to the forum. Great to have you on board. Congrats on your new 804S's & HTM4S. Wishing you many hours of audio bliss.

Comment

• John22614
            • Feb 2010

I agree Lou, this is a great time for 800s series pricing assuming you can find what your looking for.....my retailer will be notifying me when the new diamonds arrive so I can go give them a listen. I don't plan on buying anything new though, ......very happy with my recent upgrade.
            B&W 804s Mains
            B&W HTM4 Center

Sony 46 HX929 TV
            Anthem MCA 30 Amp

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Welcome to the forum! I expect you will find it quite informative here.

You certainly have put together a very nice system. Enjoy it.

Comment

• Grasynoll
                • Mar 2006

John, welcome. This forum is the devil sitting on your shoulder whispering "upgrade...upgrade"

Comment

• John22614
                  • Feb 2010

Thank you all for your welcoming me. I check into the forum daily and very much enjoy the discussions. Its great for me to finally have speakers of this caliber. they're very special to me and are perfect for my living room. These are my first ever B&W's. Of course, I enjoy them for SACD. DVD Audio, good quality CD's and Digital Surround movies and sports, etc., but I am also very pleasantly surprised with the improvement in Itunes MP3 performance compared to my previous speakers. They really do take listening to a higher level of realism. I especially love how natural the vocals sound and how music so often sounds like its just floating in air.
                  Last edited by John22614; 26 February 2010, 11:08 Friday.
                  B&W 804s Mains
                  B&W HTM4 Center

Sony 46 HX929 TV
                  Anthem MCA 30 Amp

Comment

• garak
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by John22614
                    I don't plan on buying anything new though, ......very happy with my recent upgrade.
                    Congrats and welcome. However, if you don't want to find yourself wanting to upgrade in 6 months, I suggest you permanently block this website. :B

This place has a nasty side effect of feeding everyone's upgraditis.

Comment

• MikeFL52
                      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by garak
                      Congrats and welcome. However, if you don't want to find yourself wanting to upgrade in 6 months, I suggest you permanently block this website. :B

This place has a nasty side effect of feeding everyone's upgraditis.
                      100% agree - this and avsforum!!!

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

Originally posted by MikeFL52
                        100% agree - this and avsforum!!!
                        YES but that is the fun of it we always want more
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"