Why 805 is better than other full range speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Tang
    • Feb 2008

Why 805 is better than other full range speakers?

Hi all,

Maybe it is a dumb question. The 805 is the top of the line 800 series, but it is not a full range speaker where there is no woofer. So, how does the sound quality compare to, say, the lower level 703? I expect it will be lacking the bass, right? And if it is true, what is the application of 805 as main? And in general, what are the advantages that the 800 series over the 700 series?
  • Gianluca
    • Oct 2008

Not dumb question but, 805 is the smallest speaker of the 800 series. 800D is top of the line.
    Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• Space
      • Aug 2009

Seems like the question is, the 805 is a member of the top-of-the-line 800 series, but how does it compare to larger models in the 700's? I'll throw out an opinion that up to a certain point, the big stuff counts more than the small stuff. Therefore I would choose a larger 3-way speaker from a less elite lineup over a top-of-the-line 2-way bookshelf. That would certainly hold for a two-channel system, with a possible exception where space is too limited.

Here's why: the 805 may do everything right within its size class, but it's limited by the laws of physics. There's no way it can compete with the bass output or authority of a 3-way tower. Some people might choose ultimate refinement even without true full-bandwidth output, but probably only if they preferred a certain type of music, like mostly acoustic smaller-scale recordings. The 805 might excel for that but embarrass itself trying to play Tool.

Comment

• Alex Tang
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Space
        Seems like the question is, the 805 is a member of the top-of-the-line 800 series, but how does it compare to larger models in the 700's? I'll throw out an opinion that up to a certain point, the big stuff counts more than the small stuff. Therefore I would choose a larger 3-way speaker from a less elite lineup over a top-of-the-line 2-way bookshelf. That would certainly hold for a two-channel system, with a possible exception where space is too limited.

Here's why: the 805 may do everything right within its size class, but it's limited by the laws of physics. There's no way it can compete with the bass output or authority of a 3-way tower. Some people might choose ultimate refinement even without true full-bandwidth output, but probably only if they preferred a certain type of music, like mostly acoustic smaller-scale recordings. The 805 might excel for that but embarrass itself trying to play Tool.
        Yes, I am thinking on the same line. No matter how good the mids and highs are, it will be lacking the bass.

I started about this thinking because I am considering to upgrade my speakers, and see what is the most sensible upgrade. I currently owns a pair of CDM9NT. It seems if I want to upgrade, I should go for something like N804, N803, N802 .. along that line. Some people thinks the N804 is better than CDM9NT, but I am not sure if the difference is significant enough to justify the price. (BTW, any opinion?) So, it seems at a minimum I should either go for N803 or N802, otherwise, just stick with my CDM9NT.
        The dimond series is way out of my budget, so, I didn't even think about it.

I really like the look of the N802. :T Besides the sound quality which I am sure it is good, it has its own unique looking. It will definitely draw attention when someone saw it. Yes, I am quite shallow.

Comment

• JargonGR
          • Feb 2009

Enter the term subwoofer!

I will be experimenting heavily into this in the coming months and will try to see how my 800Ds compare to playing crossed over or full range. I will be using two subwoofers with two 15" drivers each. However, I need to check how fast those drivers are compared to the 10" ones my 800Ds have.

Will report back when I have all my equipment and some first impression.

Comment

• emig5m
            • Aug 2008

I'm actually toying with the idea of dropping to bookshelf speakers. In my smaller room, using a bookshelf speaker and crossing over to a sub is so much easier to deal with room modes in the bass. My main problem with doing this is my experience with the 685 vs the 683 is that the FST mid was noticeably more open and detailed than the 685's conventional and dual purpose mid/bass driver which was a more in-the-box in sound. I tried fully plugging the ports and everything and nothing could get the openness of the FST mid in the 683. Someone, actually a couple people on AVS mentioned that the 800 series bookshelf doesn't exhibit the trait that I experienced in the 600 series of the more boxed in mids compared to their bigger FST midded brothers.

If that's true, which I'm never fully convinced until I experience it for myself first-hand, and I have never heard the 805S yet, then it probably would of been the perfect speaker for me and my room and I could of got all five channels of identical 800 series for the price of my front three. In the 600 series I would of been perfectly happy with the 685s crossing over to a sub, but it was the openness of the midrange that made me stick with the 683. There's also something I just freakin' love with a system that doesn't look like all that (small bookshelf speakers) but will catch people off guard when they hear them and the jaw drops, and the drool flows. My father heard my 685s when I was playing around with them as front mains, and I just about had to pick his jaw off the floor....they definitely took him by surprise (and honestly, took me by surprise too!) He commented on how clean the mids where... not as clean as the 683 to me, but there's just something so satisfying when something performs well beyond your expectations like the 685 did.... If the 805S really does retain that "openness" and detail in the mids like the bigger FST midded towers, then I'd be willing to sell my 804S/HTM3S and go with five 805S's all the way around! And some of these people commenting on the 805S not losing anything in the mids has owned the bigger FST midded 800s (one person had the 802D I think and also compared the 805S directly to the 683 and said the 805S won hands down!)

Comment

• emig5m
              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Alex Tang
              Yes, I am thinking on the same line. No matter how good the mids and highs are, it will be lacking the bass.
              Yea but that's 20 years ago thinking when everyone had only a 2-channel stereo system with two large more full range towers where you had to rely on those towers for the bottom octaves. Almost everyone these days has a high powered subwoofer in their system that can easily be utilized to fill in the bottom end of a bookshelf speaker, and also will probably do a better job then most of their towers they'll own down low anyway...

Comment

• wgriel
                • May 2006

Originally posted by emig5m
                Yea but that's 20 years ago thinking when everyone had only a 2-channel stereo system with two large more full range towers where you had to rely on those towers for the bottom octaves. Almost everyone these days has a high powered subwoofer in their system that can easily be utilized to fill in the bottom end of a bookshelf speaker, and also will probably do a better job then most of their towers they'll own down low anyway...
                There's no question that a sub will do a better job than almost any floorstander in terms of low level output. Smooth integration with the mids sometimes not quite so good (that really depends on the system and the room).

Having said that, there are reasons other than bass extension that may make floorstanders a better choice: particularly if there is a large room to fill. The additional headroom and output capability of big speakers can make a difference in these situations.

And believe it or not, some of us don't want to use subs in our 2 channel systems. I fall into that category, and this topic is pretty pertinent to me. When I bought my last speakers (703s) I could get 805s for about the same price: there's no question that the 805 is a "better" speaker in most regards, but I have a big room to fill, and in that space, the bass reproduction and overall balance of the 703s was a better compromise than the refinement of the 805.

If I had a smaller room, There's a good chance I would have opted for the 805s.

Comment

• Glenee
                  • Aug 2006

I have used the 805S with a JL F112 Sub, Not Bad at All. I tried them with larger Subs, I didn't like it as well. So match the Sub to the size and output of the speaker. I THINK !

Comment

• Space
                    • Aug 2009

There's no reason not to choose a 3-way floorstander just because you plan to use a subwoofer to cover the deep bass below 80 Hz or below 50 Hz. A 3-way main speaker will do a better job in the mid-bass region above the sub and up to 250 Hz - 500 Hz or so. That's where you get visceral impact from drums and fullness for most types of music. You certainly can get a 7" mid-woofer to extend down to 80 Hz but it's nice to hand off that range to a pair of 7's, or a pair of 8's, etc.

Comment

• wettou
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by wgriel
                      There's no question that a sub will do a better job than almost any floorstander in terms of low level output. Smooth integration with the mids sometimes not quite so good (that really depends on the system and the room). Having said that, there are reasons other than bass extension that may make floorstanders a better choice: particularly if there is a large room to fill. The additional headroom and output capability of big speakers can make a difference in these situations. And believe it or not, some of us don't want to use subs in our 2 channel systems. I fall into that category, and this topic is pretty pertinent to me. When I bought my last speakers (703s) I could get 805s for about the same price: there's no question that the 805 is a "better" speaker in most regards, but I have a big room to fill, and in that space, the bass reproduction and overall balance of the 703s was a better compromise than the refinement of the 805.

If I had a smaller room, There's a good chance I would have opted for the 805s.
                      Yes it is room size dependent. In addition my experience with five 802s, three 802Ds in the front and two 802N in the back, is that by setting the crossover at 40 and adding the sub.

I get really nice bass, I have twelve woofers working in addition of the JLAudio sub. So it is very good in action movies, the volume of my room is 4000 Cubic Feet = 113.27 m3
                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• alebonau
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Space

not just that it lacks extension of larger speakers. It also lacks the dedicated midrange of the larger 800 series, also ofcourse apart from extension it also lacks the driver compliment of other 800 series so it will also lack the clout of not only sub bass, bass but also mid bass of larger 800 series.

all that said for the money the 805s for instance has still been worth it for many as I suspect the 805D will similarly continue to be.

ps one thing to keep in mind re the 805D remember to also factor in a good quality stand which does push its price out further if want to compare to a floorstander
                        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• theblue
                          • Dec 2009

I also feel that B&W 3 way speakers with the FST are more open and pleasant sounding than even the 800 series 2 way. Call me crazy if you want, but I'll take my 683s over everything in the B&W line up until the 804. I just don't see the value in spending the extra money until the 804 even though there are characteristics of the in-between speakers that I like better. If I wasn't for the FST, I doubt I would have purchased B&W again. (my previous fronts are my current DM601 rears)
                          Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
                          rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
                          B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
                          a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

Hi,
                            I have listen the NEW 805D & 804D (at the B&W Switzerland):

totall 30min. fully pleasure!!!

the 805D are very Amazing!!! in HF ok the Diamant make a great job, but in LF
                            vs. my 805S (in my room) is whitout history!!!!!
                            I have always thinked thath the 805S is / was a super speaker but vs. the new D model is really 8O 8O . Believe if yuo can listen this speaker the 683 whit all the respect are at the 15% from the new 805D in performance...!!

a pair or 805D can be a very grreat main speaker.
                            the 804D is with more bass but not a complety bass a mistake in the midrange make this new stand basis model at the level from my 803D 8old model or very similar.

Say if the difference between the price for 804-5D vs. the "old" model is warranted is a personal choice. -> what do you will have / need?!?

We must admit that B&W has done a great job :T these 2 basic models will sell like hot cakes!

from what I heard the 804D are better than the 805D but here the difference in price towards the 805D is not very justified ..
                            (all was with ClassseAudio electronics - --of course!)

Style
                            I just don't see the value in spending the extra money until the 804 even though there are characteristics of the in-between speakers that I like better

Comment

• emig5m
                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by style
                              from what I heard the 804D are better than the 805D but here the difference in price towards the 805D is not very justified ..
                              Can you comment on 804D vs 804S? Worth the price over the 804S? (probably not.) Noticeable difference in sound quality? (slightly?)

Originally posted by theblue
                              I also feel that B&W 3 way speakers with the FST are more open and pleasant sounding than even the 800 series 2 way. Call me crazy if you want, but I'll take my 683s over everything in the B&W line up until the 804. I just don't see the value in spending the extra money until the 804 even though there are characteristics of the in-between speakers that I like better. If I wasn't for the FST, I doubt I would have purchased B&W again. (my previous fronts are my current DM601 rears)
                              This has been my same exact thinking, but two people on AVS in the B&W owners thread assured me that the 800 series 2-way was just as open in the mids as their bigger FST midded brothers and didn't exhibit the same characteristics of the lower series 2-way bookshelves do like I experienced when comparing my 683 back to back with my 685. One of them even came from owning the 802D and also the 683 and directly compared the 805S to the 683 and said the 805S won hands down so that says something. Of course, I'm always skeptical of anyones experiences until I experience it for myself. Have you had a chance to directly compare the 683 and 805S?

I haven't even had the chance to even hear the 805S yet but at some point I do plan on replacing my 685s in the rear with the 805S since I have the 804S/HTM3S up front. So at some point I'll be able to give my opinion of it as the first thing I plan on doing with them is have some fun comparing them as front mains with my 804S and also the 685 (too bad my 683s aren't still around for when I make this fun comparison as I sold them for funds towards my 804S).

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

Can you comment at on 804D vs 804S? Worth the price over the 804S? (probably not.) Noticeable difference in sound quality? (slightly?)
                                Hi emig5m,

I do you have a "just" the 804S at home: the 804s is a good speaker but really the 2 littlle New diamont Models are very good.
                                the 804D is very equilibtated, the sound from the tweeter and midrange is very amazing (like in the 805D) and the woofer they make a great job.
                                -> is not a LF that come "harder" inside the song but is really harmonious. its entry into the song does not bother me. Is very thin but when called to the work he does very well!

My perosnal taste is very positiv the this 2 speakers (805 and 804D) :T :T :T

Style

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                  • Aug 2008

Can you comment on 804D vs 804S? Worth the price over the 804S? (probably not.) Noticeable difference in sound quality? (slightly?)

This has been my same exact thinking, but two people on AVS in the B&W owners thread assured me that the 800 series 2-way was just as open in the mids as their bigger FST midded brothers and didn't exhibit the same characteristics of the lower series 2-way bookshelves do like I experienced when comparing my 683 back to back with my 685. One of them even came from owning the 802D and also the 683 and directly compared the 805S to the 683 and said the 805S won hands down so that says something. Of course, I'm always skeptical of anyones experiences until I experience it for myself. Have you had a chance to directly compare the 683 and 805S?

I haven't even had the chance to hear the 805S yet but at some point I do plan on replacing my 685s in the rear with the 805S since I have the 804S/HTM3S up front so at some point I'll be able to give my opinion of it as the first thing I plan on doing with them is have some fun comparing them as front mains with my 804S and also the 685 (too bad the 683 isn't still around for when I make this fun comparison).
                                  While I don't have direct experience with the 805S or 805D vs the B&W models with an FST midrange, I have heard the Signature Diamond, the current 803D and the current 802D. The Signature uses a single mid/bass Kevlar driver (similar to the 805) and I would take it over anything below the 802D without hesitation. Yes, the Signature Diamond costs $18K a pair 8O, but I believe that price is due more to the exclusivity of that particular model, not because the mid/bass driver in it is vastly superior to the one in the 805.

On a technical side note, typically a speaker with a dedicated midrange driver will outperform one with a mid/bass driver in the midrange because of the reduction in intermodulation distortion. In a 2 way or 2.5 way the bass frequencies played through the mid/bass driver modulates the mid frequencies. As a result the dedicated midrange will typically sound cleaner at all playback levels and less congested at higher playback levels. However, a mid/bass driver of exceptional design can close the gap considerably, often to the point that the two are indistinguishable to most people.

I've owned many speakers over the years, and each one has to be taken on its own merit. Some of the 3 ways sounded better than the 2 and 2.5 ways, and vice versa.

BTW - you are a man after my own heart (no I'm not hitting on you :lol: ). I read your comment above about the Wow factor that is only possible with a high-quality set of small, unassuming speakers (plus sub). I started off in this hobby as a sub/sat guy, but about a year ago I got on this big-ass speaker kick, only to return to standmounts + sub. If you tuck the sub away, there is something that much more impressive about what looks like a small set of speakers that will make the walls flex. And, I find that the smaller speakers more consistently "disappear" better than the big boys.

Comment

• emig5m
                                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                    If you tuck the sub away, there is something that much more impressive about what looks like a small set of speakers that will make the walls flex. And, I find that the smaller speakers more consistently "disappear" better than the big boys.
                                    My same exact thoughts. Well you've been through a lot of high end speakers and if I remember correctly, you where going for the new 805D? I can't wait to read your views of them once you get them! :T

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                      • Aug 2008

My same exact thoughts. Well you've been through a lot of high end speakers and if I remember correctly, you where going for the new 805D? I can't wait to read your views of them once you get them! :T
                                      Yup, I've got a pair of 805Di on order, which, if everything goes as planned (it probably won't with my luck lately) I should have a week after launch. 3rd week in March?

I'm buying them blind, so this should be interesting at the very least. And kinda exciting.

Comment

• wettou
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • May 2006

Yup, I've got a pair of 805Di on order, which, if everything goes as planned (it probably won't with my luck lately) I should have a week after launch. 3rd week in March?

I'm buying them blind, so this should be interesting at the very least. And kinda exciting.
                                        Whoa blind Hey You are a risk taker at that price I don't think I would venture.

The ultimate surround sound 9.2
                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• wgriel
                                          • May 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                          Whoa blind Hey You are a risk taker at that price I don't think I would venture.
                                          Heh, you should see the list of speakers Tim has had in his home!

Many were considerably more expensive than the 805 Diamond, so I'm not sure this is such a huge risk for him. Plus, he has heard the Signature Diamond; The 805 Diamond should at least have a similar character.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                            • Aug 2008

It's a calculated risk, buying the 805Di's blind, and if for some reason they don't work out, I'm sure that someone on Audiogon will snatch them up.

I've "lost" a lot of money, switching things out and trying new things, but that is part of the cost of the hobby for me.

With that said, I don't plan to repeat what I did last year. If I feel the need for a change in the future, my budget will be more reasonable (in audiophile terms).

Comment

• style
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Feb 2006

Hallo Tim,

I'm sure that you will be very happy whit the 805Di.

I have buied a lot of "gears" in closed box.

I don't can say nothing over the WB but the Classe CA51 / SSP800 4x 805Di in your room is a fantastic setup.
                                              be quite, you willbe Very Happy :T

Style

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

It's a calculated risk, buying the 805Di's blind, and if for some reason they don't work out, I'm sure that someone on Audiogon will snatch them up.

I've "lost" a lot of money, switching things out and trying new things, but that is part of the cost of the hobby for me.

With that said, I don't plan to repeat what I did last year. If I feel the need for a change in the future, my budget will be more reasonable (in audiophile terms).
                                                Of course so you are getting 7 805Di 8O

That should make for a killer system at $35,000 K plus stands and amps !!

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                  • Aug 2008

Of course so you are getting 7 805Di 8O

That should make for a killer system at $35,000 K plus stands and amps !!
                                                  Just four 805Di's and an HTM4Di center. No room for 7 channels for me. :cry:

Comment

• wettou
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • May 2006

Just four 805Di's and an HTM4Di center. No room for 7 channels for me. :cry:
                                                    So only $25K Hum or a pair of new 800Di!!

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                      • Mar 2008

I have to say kudos to you for going out and trying to find the "best" speaker for you! You really took the maxim of having to "demo speakers in your own home" to heart. :T As someone that loves to hear different speakers myself, I have to say it was awesome seeing the photos of all the different speakers you had in your room, and great to see someone just "go for it"! It must have been rewarding to find out how all these different models sounded with different music, etc.

I do remember someone giving you some grief in another forum about you changing your speakers all the time, which I thought was ironic since that poster had started a thread about finding his "perfect" speakers. Seems like pure hypocrisy and probably jealousy to me. Anyway, can't wait to hear opinions on the 805Di, especially yours, since you've had so many pairs in the past few years.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                        I have to say kudos to you for going out and trying to find the "best" speaker for you! You really took the maxim of having to "demo speakers in your own home" to heart. :T As someone that loves to hear different speakers myself, I have to say it was awesome seeing the photos of all the different speakers you had in your room, and great to see someone just "go for it"! It must have been rewarding to find out how all these different models sounded with different music, etc.

I do remember someone giving you some grief in another forum about you changing your speakers all the time, which I thought was ironic since that poster had started a thread about finding his "perfect" speakers. Seems like pure hypocrisy and probably jealousy to me. Anyway, can't wait to hear opinions on the 805Di, especially yours, since you've had so many pairs in the past few years.
                                                        I learned a lot during all of those speaker and equipment changes. I'm glad at least one person other than myself could see that there was a "method to my madness".

I was shocked by the reaction from some of the guys in that perfect speaker thread. I think they thought I was going through all of those speakers for the publicity, which only added insult to injury at the time.

My only reason for posting each change was to show how easy it is to be enamored with a new purchase only to find out days or weeks later that I had made a mistake. I really had to put my pride to the side when admitting that. I had hoped that others would see that the moral of the story was not to rush in. The truth is that I would have been tickled if my first choice was my last, but it was surprising at how colored some of those very expensive speakers were once I had settled into their sound.

It will be interesting to see how the 805Di's fair, and you guys will be the first to know.

Comment

• Aiden
                                                          • Feb 2010

So only $25K Hum or a pair of new 800Di!!

Wouldn't it be more like 12.5k for the speakers, or am I missing something?

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                                                            • Apr 2006

I posted a few days ago about our 805SD and said they were powered by a Rotel 15 series amp. I was wrong. We still have the CA2200 on the 805SDs from the SSP800. Just wanted to clear that up.

They sound mucho bettero after being broken in!

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                              • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
                                                              I posted a few days ago about our 805SD and said they were powered by a Rotel 15 series amp. I was wrong. We still have the CA2200 on the 805SDs from the SSP800. Just wanted to clear that up.

They sound mucho bettero after being broken in!
                                                              Thanks for the follow-up. What sort of changes did they go through after being run-in for a while?

Comment

• wgriel
                                                                • May 2006

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                                                                I found that pretty cool, too!

I do remember someone giving you some grief in another forum about you changing your speakers all the time, which I thought was ironic since that poster had started a thread about finding his "perfect" speakers. Seems like pure hypocrisy and probably jealousy to me.
                                                                There was some of that I'm sure - that poster wasn't the only one to ridicule Tim over this. I think there's a bit of insecurity involved, too: Tim found fault with and actually rejected someone's dream speakers! How dare he!

Comment

• wettou
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • May 2006

....My only reason for posting each change was to show how easy it is to be enamored with a new purchase only to find out days or weeks later that I had made a mistake. I really had to put my pride to the side when admitting that. I had hoped that others would see that the moral of the story was not to rush in. The truth is that I would have been tickled if my first choice was my last, but it was surprising at how colored some of those very expensive speakers were once I had settled into their sound.

It will be interesting to see how the 805Di's fair, and you guys will be the first to know.
                                                                  Tim at least you have the guts to admit your mistakes:T I believe that many speakers are good they are just not for everyone.

I wish I could be a reviewer and try new gear all the time this would avoid to have to pull the wallet out 99% of the time :B

Ever tried Focal Utopia?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wgriel
                                                                    I found that pretty cool, too!

There was some of that I'm sure - that poster wasn't the only one to ridicule Tim over this. I think there's a bit of insecurity involved, too: Tim found fault with and actually rejected someone's dream speakers! How dare he!

I think I have to be careful here. What if I reject the 805Di's? I sure hope it doesn't go that way, for the sake of my own sanity, but given my track record ..... :W

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2008

Tim at least you have the guts to admit your mistakes:T I believe that many speakers are good they are just not for everyone.

I wish I could be a reviewer and try new gear all the time this would avoid to have to pull the wallet out 99% of the time :B

Ever tried Focal Utopia?
                                                                      I have. I listened to the 1st generation with the Be tweeter, and I thought they sounded phenominal, which made it even more puzzling that I disliked the Electra 1037Bes so much.

But, my exposure to the Utopia Be's was several years ago at a dealer with unfamiliar music and a tubed front end. Looking back at that, and knowing what I know now, I think that there is a good chance that I would have had a different opinion of the Utopia with familiar music and a solid state front end.

Comment

• wgriel
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • May 2006

I think I have to be careful here. What if I reject the 805Di's? I sure hope it doesn't go that way, for the sake of my own sanity, but given my track record ..... :W
                                                                        Heh, no problem as far as I'm concerned. You like what you like, and there's no shame in that.

However, you definitely are more "selective" (OCD? ) about this stuff than I am! I'll probably do a bit more minor upgrading in amplification, but I've been spending all my money on music over the last couple of years and I don't see that pattern changing.

Comment

• style
                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2006
                                                                          • 1562

Hi guys,

Enjoy!!!

and with "standart with every new Diamant:

but is really fantastic

:T :T

Style

Comment

• weijst
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2004
                                                                            • 282

Wow style, those 805D's look fantastic! Please do share your opinion on them!

I have liked the 805 models ever since the Matrix 805 and currently have a 805S/HTM4S/SCMS setup. As room size and the WAF limits my choice in speakers (no floorstanders for me) I wouldn't be surprised to find a couple of 805D in my room in a year or so from now

Enjoy your new purchase!
                                                                            Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2008
                                                                              • 268

#39
                                                                              Originally posted by style
                                                                              Hi guys,

Enjoy!!!

:T :T

Style
                                                                              Are these your speakers? If so, congrats! Would love to hear a comparison between the 805Di and the 805S! :T

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • May 2006
                                                                                • 3389

#40
                                                                                If it were not for the silver rings you would never know!!

But then the music comes on and hopefully they sound awesome

Comment

• sskim
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2007
                                                                                  • 52

#41
                                                                                  I don't have much opinion on new silver ring, one way or the other, but I sure do like them silver bullets.

Comment

• scanido
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2006
                                                                                    • 548

#42
                                                                                    You can already see the inherent issues of the Piano black finish. Notice the swirl marks! I could only imagine how much more they are apparent against sunlight. I love the new finish though!

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2008
                                                                                      • 568

#43
                                                                                      Those are not user "Style's" speakers, they are from a report on the debut of the Diamonds on a french audio forum.

Courtesy of "Style" and GoogleTranslate, I pass it on to you all ....

There is a review of the 805Di in post #2. It's hard to make sense of much of Google's translation from French to English, but the jist I get from it is that the 805Di has better treble detail and "air" (expected), its bass is better balanced (which could be interpreted as less than the 805S), and that the 805Di is more transparent.

BTW - when reading the translated text, "pregnant" = enclosure.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                      😀
                                                                                      😂
                                                                                      🥰
                                                                                      😘
                                                                                      🤢
                                                                                      😎
                                                                                      😞
                                                                                      😡
                                                                                      👍
                                                                                      👎
                                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                      Search Result for "|||"