X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • windshear
    • Dec 2004

HTM1D and 802D's purchase advice

I can get a set of these speakers, used from the agents at a fairly good price. However im a little concerned as they both have a disclosed history of damage. Both the 802D's tweeter were replaced, apparently blown, due to abuse by the owners children. The same happened to the HTM1D but it burnt out a resister in the crossover. Is there anything else i should be worried about, or should i just walk away from this opportunity ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated from the B&W experts we find here. I am a little reluctant to miss the opportunity of the HTM1D as they are no longer manufactured and i can get it at half the price of a supposed new one. The 802D's would be at 60% price of new. Is this a hit or miss opportunity ?
  • Relentless
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by windshear
    I can get a set of these speakers, used from the agents at a fairly good price. However im a little concerned as they both have a disclosed history of damage. Both the 802D's tweeter were replaced, apparently blown, due to abuse by the owners children. The same happened to the HTM1D but it burnt out a resister in the crossover. Is there anything else i should be worried about, or should i just walk away from this opportunity ?

Any suggestions would be appreciated from the B&W experts we find here. I am a little reluctant to miss the opportunity of the HTM1D as they are no longer manufactured and i can get it at half the price of a supposed new one. The 802D's would be at 60% price of new. Is this a hit or miss opportunity ?
    If it is a great deal I would go for it and not think twice about the damage if it was taken care of and tested by B&W.
    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
    Lou

Comment

• dmccombs
      • Sep 2006

I picked up a HTM1D demo unit recently. It came with a Guarantee. If you are buying from a dealer, you should get was guarantee even on used speakers. If yours comes with a guarantee, that would cover the risk of the crossover having problems.

I wouldn't even worry about the tweeters. They are easy to damage (by kids), and they are a breeze to replace. They should be fine once they were replaced.

Comment

• windshear
        • Dec 2004

The problem is, the agents arent selling them , they are facilitating the sale for a customer who did an upgrade. I havent confirmed if there may or may not be a guarantee, however i suspect there wont be one. What i am concerned about is what hidden damage is lurking below the surface. Namely thermal damage to the voice coils of the drivers, given that i have never heard of a burnt resistor on a crossover, wouldnt you expect the delicate voice coil to maybe go first ?

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Personally I would walk away. Seriously, when you're burning out crossovers and blowing out tweeters that's obviously just too much abuse.... I definitely would not buy without inspecting and listening to them first. But I would still pass on something you know up front has been through major abuse.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I wouldnt worry too much.
            B&W's are nothing special.

You have a wood cabinet, some drivers, crossovers with caps, resistors and inductors and some wire. Nothing that cant be taken care of if need be, nothing that cant be inspected if need be.

If the physical shape is good, I would go for it, THAT is the expensive part of B&W 800 series.
            B&W

Comment

• schwegs99
              • Feb 2010

60% off. I think that is a steal. Anything else that would go wrong is easily covered from the savings you got.

Just make sure the wood cabinets are in good shape. just about everything else is available to fix.
              B&W. 1st HT system.

Comment

• Antus
                • Apr 2008

make sure u give them a good visual check and play some music before buying them.

say u get 50% off on center, which is $4500, and 60% off on 802D, which is $8400. total of $13000.

some dealers give discount on new model. (for instant, my dealer offered me 20% off on 8 series) if you can get similier deal, the brand new Diamond series will cost you $15000 + $5000 (Htm2 Diamond), with 20% discount, you will pay $16000.

the difference is $3000. for me, i will get the new series. OR get a better deal on the old one. i'd knock another 2K off for those. If they are out of warranty, another 1K off to $10K even for both.

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

Hy,

I dont know what happen in Usa whit B&W but a "old" 802D with 60% discount is a amazing price!!!!
                  in switzerland the old 802D is, for the last piece available, always the same price. have a 20% over the old serie is a very good price!!!

with the new serie B&W dont go make more as 6-10%!!!!

if in USA you can have a new 802Di with Htm2Di with 20% discount is very 8O 8O ?!?! I dont know strange, cconffused!!! -> I come to life in Usa....

--------

@schwegs99: have a 802D in your setup is a good upgrade :T (old or new line) - the Htm1D i dont will buy so one center!
                  802D (Di) Htm1D - 804s? as rear is good but a Htm2d is more as enough.

and what for power ampli you go connect? new $$$, the drive this speaker set you need a exrta 15k. $$$

make a more "linear" setup: 802D, htm2d and bring your 804s as rear. buy a go power ampli (Classe or what you like more)

Style

Comment

• windshear
                    • Dec 2004

Well this not in the USA, but South Africa. Our prices are much higher than the states. They were both used speakers. For interest sake the HTM1D list price here was 9500USD . The 802D's listed here for 15 000USD. As you can see we were paying a premium. If you were lucky you could get 3-4% discount from a dealer, but only with a lot of effort and wheeling and dealing.

I caved in and bought them at just over half the price of a new pair, which one cannot buy anymore, so the point is moot. Plus they have agreed to a short warranty on the speakers, so that solves all the worry aspects.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jan 2006

Hey windshear ... welcome!!! Great to meet another from ZA. :T

Congrats on your purchase. I feel that you did the right thing. The 802D's are indeed excellent speakers and the HTM1D is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity. I concur with what most folk have said in support of the acquisition. B&W also do keep stocks of spares, drivers, etc for some years even after products are discontinued ... so consider yourself sorted. Best wishes & enjoy.

Comment

• windshear
                        • Dec 2004

Thanks ShadowZA. I currently have an all B&W speaker set up. M801 SIII, HTM1, DM603SIII and DM640i in my Home theatre. Hence the move to the Diamonds was a natural progression. My biggest concern is the reduction in bass i will have as i have become quite the bass junky once i get rid of the 801's. Nothing my Rel and SVS subs cant sort out i hope

Comment

• htsteve
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

windshear,

Congrats. You will like these. Good news on the warranty. You might be surprised at the bass output of the 802D's. I recently upgraded my stereo amp to a McIntosh MC402 to drive my 802D's. The bass output is stellar (I had the MC252 before and bass was quite excellent, just not as good as the 402). I find on some material, I can run in pure 2 channel mode (no sub) without it being much different than running with my sub (the exceptional JL Audio F112).

I notive you have a Rotel 1090. That is quite a powerful beast. The 802D's will like that quite a bit.

You are going to have one incredible front wall of sound.

Looking forward to your impressions. When will they show up?
                          Last edited by htsteve; 24 February 2010, 15:04 Wednesday.

Comment

• windshear
                            • Dec 2004

They should be delivered either tomorrow or friday.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

Nice you will truly lift your listening experience :T
                              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Freddie40
                                • Jun 2009

Nice,

Don't worry about the abuse. Over the past 20 years I have MAJORLY abused my Matrix 802s. New tweeters, midranges and woofers They still sound great. When I get my new 802Diamonds it will be a different story. Better equipment and I am hopefully more mature.

Dave
                                Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                  • May 2008

Congrats! You are going to luv that setup!
                                  Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Relentless
                                    • Jul 2007

Good for you :T ........... I hope you have some serious electronics to drive this stuff. The HTM1D is amazing and deserves the same quality amplification the mains are getting. It is just a consideration that needs to be included when purchasing that center.
                                    Lou

Comment

• windshear
                                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Relentless
                                      Good for you :T ........... I hope you have some serious electronics to drive this stuff. The HTM1D is amazing and deserves the same quality amplification the mains are getting. It is just a consideration that needs to be included when purchasing that center.
                                      For now i will be using the Rotel RB1090 for the mains and a RMB 1095 for the HTM1D. My funds have only managed to go so far.

Comment

• windshear
                                        • Dec 2004

Guess what just arrived and has been unpacked. ;x(

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Jan 2006

Fantastic!!!

Take time to set them up to your liking. Eagerly awaiting your first impressions on the sound. Some pics would be great too ... when you find the time.

Enjoy! :T

Comment

• windshear
                                            • Dec 2004

So here are the first 2 pics.
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jan 2006

Very elegant setup.
                                              Superb! :T

Comment

• htsteve
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

Sweet!!

Comment

• Relentless
                                                  • Jul 2007

Nice :T ......have you considered using the spikes to tilt the HTM1D up a little?
                                                  Lou

Comment

• Relentless
                                                    • Jul 2007

So here are the first 2 pics.
                                                    are those sound anchor stands on the 801's?
                                                    Lou

Comment

• windshear
                                                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Relentless
                                                      are those sound anchor stands on the 801's?
                                                      No they are not, however i based them on their design. I must say the stands made a huge difference to the old speakers as elevating them brought everything closer to ear height and tightened up the bass.

I will have all the speakers on the spikes once i have sold the 801's. I need to move the 802D's as my speaker cable runs via conduits in the floor and i just have enough length to the speaker position and can only do final placement once a potential buyer has tried the 801's and they are sold.

Comment

Working...
                                                      😀
                                                      😂
                                                      🥰
                                                      😘
                                                      🤢
                                                      😎
                                                      😞
                                                      😡
                                                      👍
                                                      👎
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"