X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omar7631
    • Sep 2009

800 series owners

Well today I had some extra time to mess around with my system and it got me wondering, What is the loudest you guys have heard your system. I always have the grills on and today I decided to take them off and see how loud they would get without distorting.
    My processor starts at -80 lowest to +20 loudest and at-25 they are very very loud :B , and I am afraid to go any further because I might blow something. I have two amps the xpa-2 and the xpa-5,but I listen to them in direct mode so only the xpa-2 is in use and I am afraid its to much amp for them.
    Do you guys think its just my nerves because the speakers are so expensive?
    I would like to know how loud you guys have heard your speakers and how you were powering them?
    B&W 804s
    B&W htm3s
    B&W dm601 s3
    Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
    Denon 2808ci
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Emotiva XPA-2
    Sony PS3
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

I have a Rotel RSX-1057 and the volume ranges from 0 - 100. Reference volume for movies is set to 85 and i cannot go more than 75 on bluray concerts as it is just loud. I'm sure this is 90-100db! My MC205 doesn't break a sweat and the needles hover in the 2.0 - 20w range.

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

LOUD.

You can't hear your own voice. 8O Powered by an Emotiva XPA-5. I have no idea where my SPL meter is currently to measure the B&Ws, but the loudest I've done in home that I've measured was 125dB with a pair of Cerwin Vega VS-150s at around 7 to 8 feet away, lol. It's tuff to handle more than 10 seconds of that, lol. What's crazy is I see people playing their B&W speakers on Youtube and sometimes their woofers look like they're on the ragged edge of blowing apart (there was two videos I recall but don't have the link right now but one was with the 683 and the other with the 685s) and they don't really seem to be playing THAT loud, but my woofers just don't seem to be overdriven as easily as theirs. Does a stronger amp control the woofers better or something? I can pound on my 804S and they just never seem overly stressed.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by emig5m
        LOUD. You can't hear your own voice. 8O Powered by an Emotiva XPA-5. I have no idea where my SPL meter is currently to measure the B&Ws, but the loudest I've done in home that I've measured was 125dB with a pair of Cerwin Vega VS-150s at around 7 to 8 feet away, lol. It's tuff to handle more than 10 seconds of that, lol. What's crazy is I see people playing their B&W speakers on Youtube and sometimes their woofers look like they're on the ragged edge of blowing apart
        Well you know, Today, research has shown that even hearing losses of only a few decibels can cause significant hearing problems. As a result, many hearing health care professionals have fine-tuned this scale to better reflect this reality.

Dangerous Decibels focuses on noise-induced hearing loss.

Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL)

Of the roughly 40 million Americans suffering from hearing loss, 10 million can be attributed to noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). NIHL can be caused by a one-time exposure to loud sound as well as by repeated exposure to sounds at various loudness levels over an extended period of time. Damage happens to the microscopic hair cells found inside the cochlea. These cells respond to mechanical sound vibrations by sending an electrical signal to the auditory nerve. Different groups of hair cells are responsible for different frequencies (rate of vibrations). The healthy human ear can hear frequencies ranging from 20Hz to 20,000 Hz. Over time, the hair cell's hair-like stereocilia may get damaged or broken. If enough of them are damaged, hearing loss results. The high frequency area of the cochlea is often damaged by loud sound.

Sound pressure is measured in decibels (dB). Like a temperature scale, the decibel scale goes below zero. The average person can hear sounds down to about 0 dB, the level of rustling leaves. Some people with very good hearing can hear sounds down to -15 dB. If a sound reaches 85 dB or stronger, it can cause permanent damage to your hearing. The amount of time you listen to a sound affects how much damage it will cause. The quieter the sound, the longer you can listen to it safely. If the sound is very quiet, it will not cause damage even if you listen to it for a very long time; however, exposure to some common sounds can cause permanent damage. With extended exposure, noises that reach a decibel level of 85 can cause permanent damage to the hair cells in the inner ear, leading to hearing loss. Many common sounds may be louder than you think…
        • A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB - not loud enough to cause damage.
        • A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
        • When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
        • A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.
        Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB Permissible Exposure Time
        85 db 8 hours
        88 dB 4 hours
        91 db 2 hours
        94 db 1 hour
        97 db 30 minutes
        100 db 15 minutes
        103 db 7.5 minutes
        106 dB 3.75 min (< 4min)
        109 dB 1.875 min (< 2min)
        112 dB .9375 min (~1 min)
        115 dB .46875 min (~30 sec)
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by wettou
          Well you know, Today, research has shown that even hearing losses of only a few decibels can cause significant hearing problems. As a result, many hearing health care professionals have fine-tuned this scale to better reflect this reality.

Dangerous Decibels focuses on noise-induced hearing loss.

Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL)

Of the roughly 40 million Americans suffering from hearing loss, 10 million can be attributed to noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). NIHL can be caused by a one-time exposure to loud sound as well as by repeated exposure to sounds at various loudness levels over an extended period of time. Damage happens to the microscopic hair cells found inside the cochlea. These cells respond to mechanical sound vibrations by sending an electrical signal to the auditory nerve. Different groups of hair cells are responsible for different frequencies (rate of vibrations). The healthy human ear can hear frequencies ranging from 20Hz to 20,000 Hz. Over time, the hair cell's hair-like stereocilia may get damaged or broken. If enough of them are damaged, hearing loss results. The high frequency area of the cochlea is often damaged by loud sound.

Sound pressure is measured in decibels (dB). Like a temperature scale, the decibel scale goes below zero. The average person can hear sounds down to about 0 dB, the level of rustling leaves. Some people with very good hearing can hear sounds down to -15 dB. If a sound reaches 85 dB or stronger, it can cause permanent damage to your hearing. The amount of time you listen to a sound affects how much damage it will cause. The quieter the sound, the longer you can listen to it safely. If the sound is very quiet, it will not cause damage even if you listen to it for a very long time; however, exposure to some common sounds can cause permanent damage. With extended exposure, noises that reach a decibel level of 85 can cause permanent damage to the hair cells in the inner ear, leading to hearing loss. Many common sounds may be louder than you think…
          • A typical conversation occurs at 60 dB - not loud enough to cause damage.
          • A bulldozer that is idling (note that this is idling, not actively bulldozing) is loud enough at 85 dB that it can cause permanent damage after only 1 work day (8 hours).
          • When listening to music on earphones at a standard volume level 5, the sound generated reaches a level of 100 dB, loud enough to cause permanent damage after just 15 minutes per day!
          • A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.
          Decibel Exposure Time Guidelines

Accepted standards for recommended permissible exposure time for continuous time weighted average noise, according to NIOSH and CDC, 2002. For every 3 dBs over 85dB, the permissible exposure time before possible damage can occur is cut in half.

Continuous dB Permissible Exposure Time
          85 db 8 hours
          88 dB 4 hours
          91 db 2 hours
          94 db 1 hour
          97 db 30 minutes
          100 db 15 minutes
          103 db 7.5 minutes
          106 dB 3.75 min (< 4min)
          109 dB 1.875 min (< 2min)
          112 dB .9375 min (~1 min)
          115 dB .46875 min (~30 sec)
          Hey, I said I've played that loud. I didn't say it was all the time and constantly. Like I said with the Vegas, it was only for 10 seconds. I know all about hearing loss, my job requires hearing protection (equipment OP). I just like to let it loose from time to time (and also for not a long period of time) just for the pure fun-factor of seeing what the system can do. :T It's definitely not how I listen to my system normally.

Comment

• style
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2006

Hi,
            every dvd or bluray is differnte but:
            movie 70db. and too 62 db. much explosion, action,...
            ok for 75 db little time, specially parts of movie....

music jazz: 65db. more as enough for long time, :T

hardcore 75 db. 5 min. :B

Style

Comment

• Relentless
              • Jul 2007

My car hit at 141db and I just could not listen at a normal level. I love music so it had to be cranked. I have measured my room at 125db with 800D's without the subs so I am sure I can hit higher because I am in a small room. I had to take the competition system out of my car because as I got older I would get headaches from jamming and just could not turn it down. A good metal concert will hit at 125db if they are willing to break the rules of the noise codes.
              I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
              Lou

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

Originally posted by Relentless
                My car hit at 141db and I just could not listen at a normal level. I love music so it had to be cranked. I have measured my room at 125db with 800D's without the subs so I am sure I can hit higher because I am in a small room. I had to take the competition system out of my car because as I got older I would get headaches from jamming and just could not turn it down. A good metal concert will hit at 125db if they are willing to break the rules of the noise codes.
                Whoa not for me thank you, I would rather enjoy listening for a long long time, plus i can't stand metal music give me a symphony :B
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Relentless
                  • Jul 2007

Whoa not for me thank you, I would rather enjoy listening for a long long time, plus i can't stand metal music give me a symphony :B
                  I listen to all types of music but I prefer aggressive music to get me going, especially while driving the M5. Surprising enough I had my hearing checked and all is well.
                  Lou

Comment

• wettou
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • May 2006

Originally posted by Relentless
                    I listen to all types of music but I prefer aggressive music to get me going, especially while driving the M5. Surprising enough I had my hearing checked and all is well.
                    Well I would rather the concert hall of my Lexus LS 460L :B

Comment

• Relentless
                      • Jul 2007

Actually the stock system in my car is pretty good but my car is a completely different hobby. The only music I critically listen to in there is the exhaust note. At home is the least place I listen to aggressive music but B&W can do it well and loud if there is enough power. Problem is there are few hard rock albums that are recorded well.
                      Lou

Comment

• Briz vegas
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

My problem is the system sounds best late at night. Even 80 Db is a bit rude in a suburban location if you do it alot late at night. I now close the windows but it is hot here in Australia so not so nice without air.

My old car has a clapped out stereo (all my cash went on the home system)
                        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• boarder1995
                          • Sep 2009

I was just listening to my 803D with a Sunfire the other night very loud (for me) and had to leave the room. I wanted to hear when the system started straining and I think I gave up before it did. I've also got some demo bass heavy stuff I've tried and have seen my bass drivers move a good amount, but still easily within their normal range of allowable motion. Cool to see though.

Relentless,
                          I prefer the music of my V10 to get me going in my M5! hehe. What model M5 do you have? E39, E60? Good to meet another M owner on here. Looks like you're the same relentless on m5board.com too with an E60?

Comment

• Top Cat
                            • Jan 2010

Well I listen to music fairly loud and I was in a band for a few years so I am sure I have some hearing loss but I really am afraid to crank up my system as the speakers I have are vintage 801 series 80's and if I hurt one it would be a pain to get fixed. The protection circuit is not operational so being pretty old I don't think they would take too much of a beating.

Comment

• wettou
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • May 2006

I was listening to Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture etc. / Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops (Multichannel Hybrid SACD)

and I amost blew-up my speakers the Canon are very loud, I never saw the drivers move that much that was unreal 8O

BUY IT AND BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR SPEAKERS!!!

Listen to samples

Comment

• emig5m
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Briz vegas

My old car has a clapped out stereo (all my cash went on the home system)
                                I like having a crappy car system. It detunes your ears so that your nice home system always sounds like brand new and never gets old.... :T

I was listening to Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture etc. / Kunzel, Cincinnati Pops (Multichannel Hybrid SACD)

and I amost blew-up my speakers the Canon are very loud, I never saw the drivers move that much that was unreal 8O

BUY IT AND BE CAREFUL WITH YOUR SPEAKERS!!!

Listen to samples

Hah... although not not my cup of tea (1812 overture) I do own it for a reference recording and it is the only thing to ever make my old 400 watt 15" Cerwin Vegas bottom out, lol. Not even the 5Hz T-Rex thingy or any of the "car bass" cd's ever made them bottom....but the 1812 overture I think is purposely made to toast woofers, lol. Be careful with that. :rofl:

Comment

• wettou
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by emig5m
                                  Hah... although not not my cup of tea (1812 overture) I do own it for a reference recording and it is the only thing to ever make my old 400 watt 15" Cerwin Vegas bottom out, lol. Not even the 5Hz T-Rex thingy or any of the "car bass" cd's ever made them bottom....but the 1812 overture U think is purposely made to toast woofers, lol. Be careful with that.
                                  Yes they wanted you to upgrade your speakers, don't try it at home :W

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"