X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sleddogg
    • Mar 2008

Basement HT

I am being forced to speed up the basement finishing project sooner than I would like based on funds. My wife says she has waited long enough and has hired her brother to frame it in and some other relatives to rough in the plumbing and electric.

LOML doesn't comprehend the details of properly setting up for in wall wiring runs and soundproofing and the costs that can go along with them. The drywall will be on in less than ten days so on limited funds I am going to install some basic wall speaker plates. I will also place 2 inch inside diameter pvc pipes across the ceiling and down the walls that will house the surround speakers. I have purchased 200' of Monster XP Compact High Performance Speaker Cable. :T I know I will one day want to do better so hopefully the pvc will allow better cable runs at a later time. The rack will set into a utility area at about eye level and the speaker wire will run accross a 12'6" ceiling as well as the left channel spanning an additional 10'-12' over inside the utility room. I will run speaker wall plates both high and low on the surround wall to cover varying placement needs. (wall mount/stand mount) Each surround wall plate will have it's own wire run to it.

The speaker cable packaging features "patented magnetic flux tube" which looks to be just a single silver colored conductor wrapped inside traditional copper braided conductors. It also touts "LPE Dielectric" insulation around the conductors which reduces signal loss for greater clarity. The wire doesn't appear to be more than 16 gauge. How does this sound so far as a temporary set up? All on BW 600 series speakers.
    B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610
    Rotel RSP985/Rotel RMB1095/Rotel RCD1072
  • sleddogg
    • Mar 2008

I can post a microsoft paint image drawing of the room setup if someone tells me how. I have several questions and could use some sound advice.

Mostly wondering if I did much better than standard 14 gauge speaker wire, if the 2" pvc is adequate for future proof and if basic wall plate speaker connectors purchased at Menard's (like a home depot) will be sufficient. The wall plate hardware is under the brand "on-Q". Also says "legrand" on the label. Not much documentation but they appear to have gold plating and are seemingly good quality connectors with both compression screws and banana plugs. Also should I solder the banana plugs on or just use the set screw inside the shaft?

Thanks
    Lance

edit; If I should really be choosing better materials now, I'd like some advice on which brands to go with as far as wall plate hardware goes and speaker connect goes. I figure by placing wire in a pvc pipe I can make wire and hardware changes easily enough at a later time.
    B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

sleddogg,

You will love a dedicated basement HT. I did mine almost two years ago.

As for rear speaker wire, I believe mine is 14 guage, so that should work fine for that. I like the PVC idea. I didn't do that and that would have been a good idea.

As for wall plates, the rear speaker wire is coming right out of the wall. I do not like breaking the signal chain, so the wall plate simply have a hole in it (plus a grommet) for the wire to come out. Looks very clean.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 17 February 2010, 09:23 Wednesday.

Comment

• sleddogg
        • Mar 2008

Thanks Steve, I'm also wondering about a sub interconnect, I have Audioquest Diamondbacks for my components but at $150.00 per meter per pair I don't think I can go quite that far for a six or more foot run to my sub.
        B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610

Comment

• MikeFL52
          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by sleddogg
          Thanks Steve, I'm also wondering about a sub interconnect, I have Audioquest Diamondbacks for my components but at $150.00 per meter per pair I don't think I can go quite that far for a six or more foot run to my sub.
          Cabling is very contraversial, but have a look at (no outside cable links please) use their balanced XLR termination cables for my subwoofers. You might be surprised.
          Last edited by RobP; 20 February 2010, 16:29 Saturday. Reason: Removing Cable Manf Link

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by MikeFL52
            Cabling is very contraversial, but have a look at (no outside cable links please) I use their balanced XLR termination cables for my subwoofers. You might be surprised.
            CAT cables is the owner of this thread so please :W
            Last edited by RobP; 20 February 2010, 16:30 Saturday.
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• sleddogg
              • Mar 2008

Oooouhhh,
              Sorry about that, I thought I read on here some time ago that they were no longer selling cables. I checked the website and seems that is no longer the case. Can anyone verify, I might be interested in some of those Cat tails. Chime in if you have them.
              B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610

Comment

• sleddogg
                • Mar 2008

OK, Just ordered CoolCat subwoofer cable, can't wait to see how I like it, I'm sure I will. I'm embarassed to even admit what I had before. It was way ghetto. I should send it in for use for comparisons.
                B&W 683/685/HTM61/ASW610

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

sleddogg,

Good choice. Cat cables are very nice performers. Well built, clean sounding. The sub cable will be good.

Comment

• worldys
                    • Dec 2005

i used PVC to go through a small section of wall and allow future upgrades and was very glad i did, it is a good idea, especially if you are going to have insulation or sound proofing behind the drywall, my rears require 70 ft of cable each, so i used 12 gauge cable, thought i was buying 10 but it was actually 12 gauge, i would not use the 16 gauge cable if i were you, i think it would be bettter to get something generic at lower gauge than the 16 gauge monster, sometimes it is easier to find the lower gauge cable in long lengths marketed for car audio

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"