X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wywong
    • Jan 2005

804S/HTM3S - amp

Hi, I recently upgrade my surround processor from Rotel RSP 1068 to Classe SSP-300, and I still use the Rotel RMB1075 to drive the B&W 804S (Front) and HTM3S (center). The sound improvement is great especially listening to 2 channel CD music. I am now thinking about upgrading the multichannel amp to either the Classe CA5100 or the Anthem A5. The Anthem has 180Wx5 where as the Classe 5100 is 100wx5 and cost $2000 more. Would like to know if anyone has experience with the Classe 5100 or the Anthem A5 amp driving B&W. Is it worth to pay an extra $2000 for the Classe. Unfortunately, my dealer do not have a Classe 5100 or Anthem A5 side by side for me to compare. The dealer said even though the Anthem A5 have a higher output wattage, it is not the same as the Classe. Your comments?
  • SoundEngine355
    • Feb 2008

I've listened to the Anthems before. For me, they are not in the same league as Classe, Mcintosh, Mark Levinson, Krell, Bryston just to name a few.

5100 is a great amplifier, however why not the 3200 for the LCR. What rears do you have?
    SoundEngine355

-------------------
    [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

Hi wywong,

The Anthem is a good ampli: the Classe CA5100 is too a very good ampli...

BUt if you have a SSP300 go with the anthem is not a good choice.
      if in place from the SSP300 was a Anthem processor go with the same brand power ampli......

pre/pro and ampli from the same brand give you more satisfaction.

mix these brands does not always lead to good results....

with the source is another story but the pre/pro & power ampli from the same brand is a good point.

Style

Comment

• wywong
        • Jan 2005

Hi,
        I only have average surround speaker made by Mirage. is the Classe CA5100 enough power to drive the 804S and HTM3s in a 20x12 room. It is rated at 100Wx5 where as the Anthem A5 is 180Wx5. I am looking for substantial sound improvement than the Rotel RMB1075 for the money I spent.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

I would go for the CA-5200 for the added headroom. In either case you should hear a difference with a dedicated amp. How much of that difference is all up to how much you want to spend.

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

* double post. :B

Comment

• Hammie
              • Oct 2005

Deja Vu...

Does your dealer have both as demo units you can try out in your home side by side?

I would go that route and see which you like better. Only your ears can tell you which is better.
              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Relentless
                • Jul 2007

Better speakers are a sure way of improving the reproduction of the music, the only issue is that to move up to the Diamonds it is going to cost plenty.
                Last edited by Relentless; 16 February 2010, 08:14 Tuesday.
                I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                Lou

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"