X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Bi-Amping or Mono Blocks

I was wondering if any of you proud 800 series owners have compared the following:

Bi-Amping the 802D with 200W for the tweeter and mid plus 200W for the bass using CA-5200

vs

Single amp like Monoblock CA-M400 or Emotiva XPA1?

I am currently using the CA-5200 and sometime feel that the sound is anemic! I have to crank up the volume fairely high on the SSP-800 to feel the music :B

Any experienced comments would be greatly appreciated, Muchas Gracias :T
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

I have not, but i am on the verge of getting a second set of CAM400 to bi-amp the 800D's. I need some moral support to pull the trigger. I wont have a chance to get a loaner pair of CAM400 and try it at home, so it will be a hit or miss type of an action. any of you tried the CAM400 bi amping 800d ( Abby road studios anyone? :W )
    Eliav
    :T Socrat

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
      • Oct 2009

A good friend has Polk's Lsi15's that are pretty power hungry. He switched from an Outlaw 200watt amplifier to the Emotiva XPA-1's and there was a marked difference in the low end control and strength. I have bi-amped before and the cost does not seem worth the gain to me. I vote get the XPA-1's and bet you will be happier for less money/less cables/less rack space.
      "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
      -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek
        A good friend has Polk's Lsi15's that are pretty power hungry. He switched from an Outlaw 200watt amplifier to the Emotiva XPA-1's and there was a marked difference in the low end control and strength. I have bi-amped before and the cost does not seem worth the gain to me. I vote get the XPA-1's and bet you will be happier for less money/less cables/less rack space.
        You see the problem with mono is space I need five or at least three. But I can get an other CA-3200 and use my CA-5200 to biamp my front channels. Or may be I could just bridge the amps
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ninja12
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by wettou
          You see the problem with mono is space I need five or at least three. But I can get an other CA-3200 and use my CA-5200 to biamp my front channels. Or may be I could just bridge the amps
          Not if you get the Anthem P5. It's a 5 channel amp and each channel runs separate from the other. It's 325w into 8 ohms, 500 into 4 ohms, and 675 into 2 ohms. It does call for a dedicated 30 amp line; however, I have heard some people say that they run it on a 15 and 20 amp line without any problems. I installed a dedicated 30 amp line for it. I have the Anthem P2 also which I use to drive my 802Ds. I use the P5 to drive my HTM1D, CCM 817s, and my SCMS. It might be worth you taking a look at.

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by ninja12
            Not if you get the Anthem P5. It's a 5 channel amp and each channel runs separate from the other. It's 325w into 8 ohms, 500 into 4 ohms, and 675 into 2 ohms. It does call for a dedicated 30 amp line; however, I have heard some people say that they run it on a 15 and 20 amp line without any problems. I installed a dedicated 30 amp line for it. I have the Anthem P2 also which I use to drive my 802Ds. I use the P5 to drive my HTM1D, CCM 817s, and my SCMS. It might be worth you taking a look at.
            Anthem! I like Classé a great deal

I read about the review on the P5 and I am definitely going to try to listen to it! How much power can a 15 amp or 20 amp breaker support?

check this out

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Here is an interesting read

It sounds like that unless one has active crossover forget Bi-Amping

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"