X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omar7631
    • Sep 2009

Replace denon 2808ci

Hello,
    I have the B&W 804s, htm3s, and a pair of dm601 s3 as surrounds, for amps I have a emotiva xpa-5 and xpa-2 and I wanted to replace denon 2808ci. What would you guys recommend, I feel the denon is holding back my speakers. I need something with more dynamics. I bought a emotiva mmc-1 and it sounded about the same as the denon, and the denon having the edge because of the dolby true-hd.
    B&W 804s
    B&W htm3s
    B&W dm601 s3
    Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
    Denon 2808ci
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Emotiva XPA-2
    Sony PS3
  • omar7631
    • Sep 2009

possible candidates:
    pioneer sc-25 and sc-27
    marantz av8003 pre amp
    rotel rsp -1570
    B&W 804s
    B&W htm3s
    B&W dm601 s3
    Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
    Denon 2808ci
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Emotiva XPA-2
    Sony PS3

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

I would see what you can get to demo in home.

Other options could be:

Anthem
      Integra
      Onkyo Pro (I know its pretty much the same as the Integra)

Other options could include tubes.

What is your budget?
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30
      Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
      Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
      Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
      B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
      Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
      My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
      Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• omar7631
        • Sep 2009

I say no more than 2000 dollars. I like how the denon sounds in direct mode as two channel but when I am watching a movie I am left wanting more.
        B&W 804s
        B&W htm3s
        B&W dm601 s3
        Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
        Denon 2808ci
        Emotiva XPA-5
        Emotiva XPA-2
        Sony PS3

Comment

• SoundEngine355
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by omar7631
          Hello,
          I have the B&W 804s, htm3s, and a pair of dm601 s3 as surrounds, for amps I have a emotiva xpa-5 and xpa-2 and I wanted to replace denon 2808ci. What would you guys recommend, I feel the denon is holding back my speakers. I need something with more dynamics. I bought a emotiva mmc-1 and it sounded about the same as the denon, and the denon having the edge because of the dolby true-hd.
          More dynamic in what? Surround sound? Two channel?
          SoundEngine355

-------------------
          [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• omar7631
            • Sep 2009

I want a more dynamic surround sound effect, I feel the denon holds the speakers back. I know b&w is a bit on the warm side but I want some that will make them jump.
            B&W 804s
            B&W htm3s
            B&W dm601 s3
            Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
            Denon 2808ci
            Emotiva XPA-5
            Emotiva XPA-2
            Sony PS3

Comment

• SoundEngine355
              • Feb 2008

I find my Denon 3808a does really well in surround sound with my Oppo BDP-83 and I've had it running with the B&W 800Ds!

I would look at another Blu-ray player, I owned the Sony S550 before and thought the sound was terriable, Oppo is top notch and have not heard or seen another player yet that beats it.

Does you 2808 have audyssey?
              SoundEngine355

-------------------
              [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• omar7631
                • Sep 2009

Do you think it might be the ps3 that might sound bad, and yes the denon has audessy.
                B&W 804s
                B&W htm3s
                B&W dm601 s3
                Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
                Denon 2808ci
                Emotiva XPA-5
                Emotiva XPA-2
                Sony PS3

Comment

• KyaDawn
                  • Mar 2008

I use the Denon 4308 as my AVR for surround processing and I find it very "dynamic". Particularly with Audyssey, it really helped address some of the shortcomings of my room. I've adjusted its EQ settings slightly to my tastes, but it makes a huge difference when I switch it between on and off. When it's off, everything sounds "dull" and less "alive". When it's on, the music or soundtrack seems to "jump" out at me almost. The separation of the instruments or voices is more distinct as well, giving more space to the soundstage, whereas when the Audyssey is off, the soundstage flattens out and seem much more two dimensional.

I believe 2808ci has Audyssey. Have you tried using it?

Comment

• emig5m
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by omar7631
                    Hello,
                    Somehow I'm not surprised the Denon and Emo sounding pretty much the same. I don't have much hope that the XMC-1 will sound any better than my Yamaha. I'm at the point where I believe everything is pretty much tit-for-tat these days with components. But I want to try it out first hand anyway just out of curiosity, you never know. I'd love to get my hands on a no holds barred top of the line high end unit from say Classe or McIntosh. Something that will definitely show a difference if there is actually a difference between the low and high end components and have it in my own room to demo just to hear it for myself. But the prices of those things...ain't happening in my lifetime, lol. So I'm in the same boat as you, in the $2000 limit and wanting to believe that a true separate is going to magically be better than a ordinary every day receiver (well it most certainly will look cooler).

Since I basically have the same gear as you, and the same basic budget constraints, I'll be highly interesting in your findings. But I think the ugly truth is your baseline sound comes from speakers and room and how you set it up....the rest is just about as pointless as pulling random hairs off your arms... :lol: Think about it, what's going to add the most distortion to your end result, a hundred components measuring the same ruler flat response with zero audible distortion or speakers and room that can alter and distort the end result in the biggest ways - just moving speaker and listening position around can dramatically change the sound. What can you really expect to change in sound with a hundred different components measuring just about exactly the same? I'm just a stubborn and skeptical person. I wont believe in something until I experience it first hand. Someone have a SSP-800 to loan me for a week? :lol: :rofl:

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

Originally posted by KyaDawn
                      I use the Denon 4308 as my AVR for surround processing and I find it very "dynamic". Particularly with Audyssey, it really helped address some of the shortcomings of my room. I've adjusted its EQ settings slightly to my tastes, but it makes a huge difference when I switch it between on and off. When it's off, everything sounds "dull" and less "alive". When it's on, the music or soundtrack seems to "jump" out at me almost. The separation of the instruments or voices is more distinct as well, giving more space to the soundstage, whereas when the Audyssey is off, the soundstage flattens out and seem much more two dimensional.

My same thoughts. I also like to use the auto setup on my Yamaha as the baseline starting point and then adjust to "preference". I think that the auto setups are the future in taking it to the next level and it will get even better as the tech matures.

Comment

• omar7631
                        • Sep 2009

I will try audessy one more time, I had tried out before but was not impressed with it but maybe now that I have the emotiva xpa-5 and xpa-2 there will be a noticeable difference.
                        B&W 804s
                        B&W htm3s
                        B&W dm601 s3
                        Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
                        Denon 2808ci
                        Emotiva XPA-5
                        Emotiva XPA-2
                        Sony PS3

Comment

• omar7631
                          • Sep 2009

Do you think there is a difference between the denon 2808ci and the 4308ci as a pre amp.
                          B&W 804s
                          B&W htm3s
                          B&W dm601 s3
                          Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
                          Denon 2808ci
                          Emotiva XPA-5
                          Emotiva XPA-2
                          Sony PS3

Comment

• KyaDawn
                            • Mar 2008

I don't know what the difference in the two models are when it comes to processing, but I do know the 4308 has some more features and also amp power. Since you are using separate amps, like me, the amp power doesn't make a difference.

You should really give the Audyssey another try. I know they allow for a lot of listener positions to be programmed, but I just set it to the sweet spot as that's mostly where I sit. Also, the Audyssey mic needs to be more than a feet away from the back wall or else it will provide some inaccurate readings. Overall, it's made a huge improvement to the sound in my system as I can easily compare when I go from one of the Audyssey settings to it being off.

What's more, if your 2808 is similar to my 4308, in the "Manual" setting, you can copy the Audyssey curve to use it as a starting base, and then adjust it to your liking. The Audyssey curve in my set-up had put the two lower frequencies around -5db, which really killed the bass in my set-up. That was the only dissatisfaction, so I increased those frequencies and now it's just about perfect for my tastes.

I read your thread in another forum where you actually considered buying a whole other 5.1 set-up to add to your 804S and HTM3 for multi-channel, and I think if you use the Audyssey, that will save you a lot of $$$. Especially since your current B&W set-up is miles better than the 5.1 speaker set you were considering.

Comment

• omar7631
                              • Sep 2009

I don't know what the difference in the two models are when it comes to processing, but I do know the 4308 has some more features and also amp power. Since you are using separate amps, like me, the amp power doesn't make a difference.

You should really give the Audyssey another try. I know they allow for a lot of listener positions to be programmed, but I just set it to the sweet spot as that's mostly where I sit. Also, the Audyssey mic needs to be more than a feet away from the back wall or else it will provide some inaccurate readings. Overall, it's made a huge improvement to the sound in my system as I can easily compare when I go from one of the Audyssey settings to it being off.

What's more, if your 2808 is similar to my 4308, in the "Manual" setting, you can copy the Audyssey curve to use it as a starting base, and then adjust it to your liking. The Audyssey curve in my set-up had put the two lower frequencies around -5db, which really killed the bass in my set-up. That was the only dissatisfaction, so I increased those frequencies and now it's just about perfect for my tastes.

I read your thread in another forum where you actually considered buying a whole other 5.1 set-up to add to your 804S and HTM3 for multi-channel, and I think if you use the Audyssey, that will save you a lot of $$$. Especially since your current B&W set-up is miles better than the 5.1 speaker set you were considering.
                              Thank you very much.
                              I was considering buying a new setup, selling the htm3s and keeping the 804s for another room, but someone mentioned that I should play with the electronics before I change out the speakers. Thats what led me here to ask other people for opinions on replacing the denon. I will try the audessy one more time and see what happens.
                              I might also just wait for the new emotiva processor and see if that makes a difference. The old MMC-1 I had didnt have hdmi audio, so the denon beat it easily. Heres hoping that I can find a solution to the problem because I really like the sound with music on the 804s and LOVE the look.
                              B&W 804s
                              B&W htm3s
                              B&W dm601 s3
                              Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
                              Denon 2808ci
                              Emotiva XPA-5
                              Emotiva XPA-2
                              Sony PS3

Comment

• wildpanda86
                                • Jul 2009

That's pretty much the same setup my friend has... He's running the CPA-5 with 804s and matching center with the 804s biamped on the XPA-5.

He has an older Denon that only does dolby digital & DTS that he is using as a preamp and and powering his surrounds... (as a temporary solution... I think he is planning on doing the full Emotiva setup).

I think his setup sounds very nice... the 804's are just such a nice sounding speaker... and the Emotiva has provides more than enough power especially for the mids and highs.

Also, in my case I have a pair of 683's and the matching center powered off of a Rotel rsx-1550... this combo sounded much better than when I had it powered off of a Denon 2805... then I played around with the toe in and out of the speakers and got it to the point where it makes a very nice soundstage... this setup also blends very nicely with my Hsu subwoofer...

Comment

• omar7631
                                  • Sep 2009

Well I re-calibrated my system and it sounds awesome, I tried the audessy setup five times until I got it the way I wanted. The funny thing is, it left my subwoofers at -10.5 db's and during the movie scenes I never felt I needed bass. Before I had the bass up to 5db and it sounded good but not was not happy. Thank you all for all your help!!
                                  B&W 804s
                                  B&W htm3s
                                  B&W dm601 s3
                                  Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
                                  Denon 2808ci
                                  Emotiva XPA-5
                                  Emotiva XPA-2
                                  Sony PS3

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                    • Mar 2008

Hey omar7631, I'm glad it worked out! That's interesting about how it set your subs, sounds like they were overpowering before which may have been partly why your center had sounded muddled. It's interesting how everything all ties in together in ways that we may not expect.

Anyway, that's awesome your system is sound great now. 804Ss with HTM3 center is an amazing front three, congrats again!

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"