X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Tang
    • Feb 2008

rubber turns white on the woofer

Hi,

I have a pair of CDM9NT, and the rubber on the woofer turns white (or grey), is it something to worry about? Is it due to aging of the rubber, and how should I take care of it? Like, should I wipe it with a cloth, or is there any special cleaner or lubricant, or just leave it alone?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Alex Tang; 12 February 2010, 16:37 Friday.
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Alex Tang
    Hi,

I have a pair of CDM9NT, and the rubber on the woofer turns white (or grey), is it something to worry about? Is it due to aging of the rubber, and how should I take care of it? Like, should I wipe it with a cloth, or is there any special cleaner or lubricant, or just leave it alone?

Thanks.
    You got me worried Alex because I've got a pair of CDM9NTs too. I've just checked them and I don't have any white/grey rubber.

Do you leave the grills on or off? Mine are on all the time.

Nigel.

PS You're not listening to smooth jazz on them are you? It's very corrosive music you know...

Comment

• audioqueso
      Super Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

Is your room excessively dry?
      I don't know if what you're describing is aging or not. I heard someone talk about this not too long ago. So recently when I was talking to a guy I know that makes rubber (like, his job is actually finding rubber solutions at a shipyard), I asked him if he knew about anything regarding the rubber used on speaker cones. He comments were that all types of rubber need water. And most consumer products use the same type of rubber that only really require the moisture from the air at room temperature.

I didn't ask about excessively dry rooms, but I'm just mentioning this piece of information and wondering if your room is excessively dry.
      B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Alex Tang
        • Feb 2008

Well ... I live in Vancouver. So, we have the heat turn on half a year. It is dryer than places in south east asia (like HK), but I don't think it is excessively dry. And I have the grill on all the time. Let me try to take some picture later.

I try to use the blower and brush used on camera lens, but can't remove them. But when I gently wipe it with a dry microfiber cloth, it comes off. So .. not really sure what is that. It is not mold, but it feels like it is mold that sort of sticks on to the service. But you don't have it? So, this is not normal? ... hmm .. that worries me.

Comment

• Alex Tang
          • Feb 2008

Well .. I think those are just a very thin layer of dust. I wipe it with a damp microfiber cloth, and it cleans up. So, I think it is fine. But the colour of the rubber is matt, not shiny. Do I need to do anything to keep the speaker cone in good shape, especially to prevent the aging of the rubber rim? I did some research, and people said I don't need to do anything. Also, I research on aging of rubber, and people suggest to apply silicone based lubricant will help prevent aging. Anyone has tried that?

Comment

• scanido
            • Apr 2006

You can clean the cones with a very soft bristle paint brush. This is what i do and was told directly by B&W.

As far as the woofer rubber surrounds, I only wipe clean with a damp microfiber every other month or so.

The tweeter i never touch and only dust it with compressed air about a foot away.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"