X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

801 series 80 vs 803D

I´m stuck in the mud between these two speakers, I have 801 series 80 and I´m thinking of upgrading to 803D, I have tested them but find it hard to hear a real difference between the two. I can´t afford 802D, 803D is pushing the boat out but possible. I would love to hear from others who know these speakers. I have it in my mind that Diamond business is just a sales trick to make it sound better???

Cheers :T
  • Freddie40
    • Jun 2009

I have Matrix 802 Series 2 speakers. A few months ago I went out and listened to the 803S and 803D speakers. I thought my Matrix 802s were better than the 803S, but it was a toss-up when compared to the 803D. To be honest the 803D had better highs (because of the Diamond Tweeters), but the mid-range and bass were about the same (due to the midrange and woofers sharing the same cabinet most likely). So, I decided to stick with the Matrix 802 versus any 803. You will probably have the same luck.

I did like the 802Ds better though. Jump ahead to this year and when the new 802 Diamonds were released I ordered a pair. I hope to have them within a month.

Dave
    Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• Antus
      • Apr 2008

803D is an overall better speaker if you take everything into account. the pinpoint accuracy and transparancy is far surperior to M801 generation. i'd think tweeter is the weakest link in the Matrix series.

the 803D has cleaner bass, but M801 has stronger impact bass. The M801 bass sound muddy in a way but are very strong.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"