X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swayback
    • Feb 2010

803s vs 803d

Folks,

I'm going to take a leap into the world of Hi-Fi and have recently placed an order for the 803s. There are only 3 pairs left coming to the US per my dealer and they are discontinued with the new line coming out. That being said, I wonder if there is that great of a difference between the 803s and 803d? I understand that if I order the 803d it will be the newer model with potentially better upgrades. Yet, is it worth the extra $5000 difference?

I'd appreciate anyone's help with this. My dealer tells me the only appreciable difference will be with high end frequencies above 25kHz. Again, does it justify the 5k difference. Also, I know that this is conjecture because nobody owns a new 803d. But if anyone can tell me a justification to buy the "old" 803d over the 803s it would be appreciated!

Also opine regarding amp, cables for these speakers.

Thank you!
  • audiofiel10
    • Nov 2009

Hi and welcome...

Nobody will be able to tell if the new 803d is better and how much better than the 803s until auditioned. One might assume the newer series would sound better due to upgraded filters, etc, but until you have actually compared both, you can't really say anything about the extend to which it would be better and if that's worth it to you pricewise is a complete different personal matter..

reg

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

swayback,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

B&W 800 series is very nice. They also really need good electronics. More on that in a bit.

You ask a very good question. I do believe all areas would improve with the 803D, whether old or new version. The most noticable area will be the be the upper end, as your dealer mentioned (although I disagree that they say the difference is only at 25k Hz and above. The diamond tweeters are truly spectacular in all of the high frequency end).

Did you get a chance to listen to the old 803D? Is it worth the $5k difference? To really answer that question, you need to hear the 803D. If your dealer plans to get some in, then you can listen and judge for yourself. Will your dealer allow you to switch to the 803D's if you like them (i.e. an upgrade program within a certain time).

The 800 series B&W's really love current. I would not try to drive either model with just a receiver. This level of speaker really requires an outboard amp. A 200 watt amp would be a very good place to start. Rotel makes some very nice amps in that category.

For now, if you have a receiver, you can use that as a pre-amp and add an outboard amp. If you have the budget, consider going a full pre-amp and amp set-up.

What are your listening plans, 2 channel, HT? Which is more? Also, how big is your room. Do you have a sub? Is the space dedicated or is it multi use (i.e. a family room with a stereo set-up). All these factor into the performance of the system, particularly the main speakers.

At the end of the day, I would generally recommmend to go with the 803S,
      save the $5k and get some excellent electronics, cabling (see Cat Cables) and room treatments. Then you would have a very well rounded and excellent sounding system.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• swayback
        • Feb 2010

Reg,

Thank you for replying. Yes, it is hypothetical to compare an 803s to the new 803d. I guess what I was trying to communicate was the current 803s vs the current 803d. Has anyone done this and decided one way or the other?

Swayback

Comment

• pazu
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by htsteve
          swayback,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

B&W 800 series is very nice. They also really need good electronics. More on that in a bit.

You ask a very good question. I do believe all areas would improve with the 803D, whether old or new version. The most noticable area will be the be the upper end, as your dealer mentioned (although I disagree that they say the difference is only at 25k Hz and above. The diamond tweeters are truly spectacular in all of the high frequency end).

Did you get a chance to listen to the old 803D? Is it worth the $5k difference? To really answer that question, you need to hear the 803D. If your dealer plans to get some in, then you can listen and judge for yourself. Will your dealer allow you to switch to the 803D's if you like them (i.e. an upgrade program within a certain time).

The 800 series B&W's really love current. I would not try to drive either model with just a receiver. This level of speaker really requires an outboard amp. A 200 watt amp would be a very good place to start. Rotel makes some very nice amps in that category.

For now, if you have a receiver, you can use that as a pre-amp and add an outboard amp. If you have the budget, consider going a full pre-amp and amp set-up.

What are your listening plans, 2 channel, HT? Which is more? Also, how big is your room. Do you have a sub? Is the space dedicated or is it multi use (i.e. a family room with a stereo set-up). All these factor into the performance of the system, particularly the main speakers.

At the end of the day, I would generally recommmend to go with the 803S,
          save the $5k and get some excellent electronics, cabling (see Cat Cables) and room treatments. Then you would have a very well rounded and excellent sounding system.

Hope this helps.

I'm agree with your consideration, Steve! 5000 $ are 5000 $!

On other hand, I've a pair of 803S and I think this loudspeakers are fantastic, although they haven't the diamond tweeter.

Comment

• swayback
            • Feb 2010

HTsteve,

Thank you as well for all of the information!

Unfortunately, I have only listened to the S and not the D, and therefore can't do a side by side comparison. The local dealer does not have any diamond tweeters in the showroom.

My plan is to have HT. Yet, I am more of a 2 channel guy 80% of the time and 20% for HT. Thus, I wanted to put most of my money into the loadspeakers and the remainder into the front and subwoofer. I currently have B & W M1's that I will use as my rear speakers when I finally install.

You bring me to another question. I was planning on dumping the majority of my budget into the 2 channel loadspeakers and downgrade to the CM line for the center channel and subwoofer. Your thoughts?

My dilemma, if that is what this is called, is I want the best speakers and do this purchase right the first time without regrets. I would like to listen to the 803d's before I buy them but this is not available to me.

In so far as the amps go...
            My dealer is selling an Integra DTR 9.9 for a good price. He tells me it will power the speakers and perform the video functions I want. However, a common theme throughout the web forums is that if you want really good 2 channel and really good HT they need to be separate. In that vein, I've read that B &W speakers do well with Rotel amps and pre-amp's. It's those products that "change" more often with technology and therefore my greater investment in speakers as I can update the preamps throughout time.

I appreciate any and all opinions. This is very helpful!

Swayback

Comment

• RedRock
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by swayback
              You bring me to another question. I was planning on dumping the majority of my budget into the 2 channel loadspeakers and downgrade to the CM line for the center channel and subwoofer. Your thoughts?
              Swayback
              Swayback,

Keep in mind, it's always important to timbre-match your fronts and center to create a unified sound field. Basically, get the same series of speaker for your center as your mains.

IMO, if you want to do this right the first time, you should definitely select a center channel within the 800 series line. If that means buying the 800S and using the extra cash for the center, go for it. I'm upgraded to the 800 series myself, so I've listened to both B&W centers recently. The HTM3S is by far a better center speaker than the CM Centre 2.
              B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
              B&W HTM4Di (center)
              B&W SCMs (surround)
              Arcam AVR-600
              Arcam DV-137
              Arcam irDock
              Velodyne Optimum-10
              Furman Elite 15 PF

Comment

• htsteve
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

swayback,

The foundation of an excellent HT, is an excellent 2 channel system. They can definitely coexist. I have a dedicated HT room. I also have a stereo amp for my main speakers. My pre-amp also has a separate, excellent stereo section. So your plan to build up the 2 channel performance first makes alot of sense. Especially since you are 2 channel 80% of the time. Most people do not have the space or funds to have one system for each.

For building up the 2 channel, I both agree and disagree with your dealer. I agree that the Integra will definitely handle the video side of things pretty nicely. There are some nice features in that unit. However, I disagree that it will drive the 803S's very well. They will drive them, and the 803's will be a HUGE improvement over the M1's, just by it's capabilities. But I'm quite concerned that the receiver is only 145 watts per channel. And it's power supply will need to drive the center and rear speakers, sharing the power. Underpowering speakers is the worst thing for speaker performance and longevity.

The DTR 9.9 appears to be about $2500. For that money, I would get a $1200 receiver with good power for the center and rears, good video processing and the HD audio formats (for Blu Ray). It would spend about $1300 (+/- a couple of hundred $$'s) on a good two channel amp. Rotel has a couple of very nice units in this price range. The RB-1572 is a 250 watt X 2 amp (class D). The RB-1582 is a 200 wpc X 2 amp (Class A/B). Both are priced in this range and would be a definite improvement over the receivers amps. The 803S's would then be performing as they were built to. The reciever would then not need to use it's power supply to drive these. It will make that unit last longer as well.

I agree that B&W and Rotel go well together. I had that combo for many years.

Now onto the HT side. Using the M1's for rears for now is prudent. This allows more money up front. The items to do the HT would be the center channel and the sub. For the center channel, ideally, you would get the HTM3S to match the 803S's (as RedRock noted). The issue with this is that they are not made any more with the release of the new 800 Diamond series. So to get those you would go the used route. The CM line is an interesting thought. For the center channel, I would suggest the CM 2 Center channel. Is has the FST midrange that would more closely mathc the FST midrange in the 803S.

As for sub's, there are ALOT of choices in the mid to high end sub market. I like B&W subs. I also think there are others that offer a bit more bang for the buck. Do searches here on the forum. Velodyne, SVS are a couple that come to mind. There is also JL Audio, a definite high-end, reference sub (I am biased, as I have the Fathom F112).

If you are willing to share the budgets you have for the electronics, center channel and sub, this will help in making recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Antus
                  • Apr 2008

a more fair comparison is between 803S and the upcoming 804 Diamond. both have 2 woofers. The 803D or Diamond has 3 woofers and a big size up from 803S and 804S,D, Diamond.

if i am buying now, either i can get an excellent deal on "OLD" 803D or i will get the upcoming 804 Diamond. I think Diamond tweeter is a major improvement in audio technology. i think it's a good idea to get a piece of it.

Comment

• ak77
                    • Jun 2008

Hi Swayback.

The right speaker for your room would be based on how much space you have and money to spend. Although most people here would tend to believe that 803D is generally better than 803S, but I would disagree. They are both meant for different environments (room size) and matching electronics (wattage).

I personally don't think 5K over 803s cost is justifiable for 803d. Also don't forget that you would need more expensive and sophisticated electronics for 803D to get the best out of them.

You have made the right choice mate...enjoy :T

Thanks
                    Andy
                    System 1: B&W: 803S; Classe CAP-2100, CDP-102, Chord: Anthem 2 interconnect, Epic super twin cables

System 2: B&W: 685, Rotel: RA-05; Denon 3910; Denon DAB 1800 tuner; Merlin Choppin & Atlas Equator MKII interconnects.

Comment

• swayback
                      • Feb 2010

Thank you all for your informative comments. They are truly helpful!

The more I think about it, I may purchase 804D and supplement with good sub woofer versus 803d alone. It would then provide the needed bass so often criticized in the 804's.

Thoughts?

Comment

• RedRock
                        • Jan 2010

Swayback,

IMO you'd be making a very good decision going with the new 804 Diamonds - if you can afford to spend the additional $$$. As I mentioned previously, I'm waiting for the 804 Diamonds also. The more I thought about it, I just knew if I went with "S" version I'd probably regret not jumping up to the "D." Granted, they're expensive and the 804 price increase (i.e., $3,000) is substantial. However, I'm going into this knowing that I will not likely have any reason to upgrade the 804's for at least 5 years, most likely much longer than that. At that point, the "D" series should maintain a reasonable resale value.

One other recommendation - if you need surround speakers, try and find a pair of used/demo B&W SCMs for your surrounds. I just purchased a demo set last week from my dealer and they're working out very well. They seem to be a more compact version of the 805S and sounded extremely good on their own. I wasn't as concerned with matching tweeters in the surrounds with the fronts. I was more concerned with getting an 800 series that I could hang on the rear wall (the included wall brackets are first class).
                        B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
                        B&W HTM4Di (center)
                        B&W SCMs (surround)
                        Arcam AVR-600
                        Arcam DV-137
                        Arcam irDock
                        Velodyne Optimum-10
                        Furman Elite 15 PF

Comment

• brunsje
                          • Jan 2009

Used 803D

I would recommend considering used 803D's. They would be substantially less expensive than a new 804D and more capable. And you'd save money in the long run. Appears you could find a < 2 year old pair or 803D for about $5500.

Best of Luck. JohnnyB

Comment

• boarder1995
                            • Sep 2009

I spent much time considering the 803D, 803S and 804S, side-by-side with various electronics. I ended up getting a swinging deal on an open box set of 803D and haven't looked back. The 803S was awesome and was that much smoother and more defined down low than the 804S. Up top, going to the 803D made them that much more listenable and less fatiguing. But, there was a large retail price increase that kept me from pulling the trigger. I was torn to be honest...the D was SOOO sweet, but I couldn't justify the increase as I also enjoyed the 803S and even 804S. That was, until the sweet deal on the 803D came along and now they're literally music to my ears. Waiting on the 804D would be good to get the "latest" design, with magnet grills and full diamond series, but there's a large premium on the new line as well. If you don't have an aversion to used, there are some great deals on 803D (they're big towers - bigger footprint than 804D/S units) around the net. With their lowered used price, there won't be much more depreciation on the units either if you want to turn them over in a few years.

Electronics are a big deal as others have said, BUT, my amp is currently in the shop and I'm actually using a Pioneer Elite receiver (gasp!) to power my 803D and they still sound great. I do take care to keep the volume levels lower to protect the speakers form amp clipping, but I still enjoy much music in the evenings. I actually lost our dog (she passed away) one week ago and the music has been my evening therapy for many hours on end. Even off the receiver, the 803D are still music to my ears! R.I.P. Pearl.

Comment

• specialized
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by swayback
                              Thank you all for your informative comments. They are truly helpful!

The more I think about it, I may purchase 804D and supplement with good sub woofer versus 803d alone. It would then provide the needed bass so often criticized in the 804's.

Thoughts?

I have same dilema two years ago.. I was thinking between 805s/804s/803s/803d.

I had a chance to listen next to each other 805s/804s/803s and from those three 803s Sound the best, then 805s and i didnt like 804s. They had something that i dont like it.. Not having big sound like 803s and also not having the great imaging and focus like 805s. In same time i have 703s and 683s. I like a lot 703s as well (better then 804s i guess), and i dont like 683s at all (boomy bass and not sofisticated sound).

Before ordering 803s i have a lot of listening hours with 803D at my dealer place. I didnt notice that big difference like everyone on the net was explaining. Then we have few listening session at my friend place who have 803D with HTm3S and 805s. We agreed on SACD multichannel cd that we cant notice some big difference between S and D tweeter. Also at my dealers place when we talked about that, seem that D tweeter is longer lasting when high volume level is achived, and S tweeter is easy to be broken (When high volume is reached on some distortion music for example). And between lines even them agreed that they can't notice some big difference in sound. Anyway, im sure u wont have that kind of volume levels. Maybe to have all the benefits of 803D we didnt have proper electronics (i have listen them in different setups, one with MC501 x 2, other Rotel RB-1080 x 2 (biamped and one amp per speaker). Also try to get the speakers based on u'r room size, becouse 802D at my friend place is worst sounding speakers from my 803S in my room, the 803D at other friend and his 802D (too much boomy bass, and not clear sound). Its funny that in his room (which is pretty big), 685 are more musical becouse there is not that muddy tuby sound (802D are awesome speakers, just not suited in his room and his electronics maybe).

If im at u'r place i'll be torn between 803S and 803D, based not on tweeter, more on room size. 804D i expect to sound like 804S and something was missing when i had them at my place (i have chance to listen them for 10-15 days when i was testing).

To repeat i like 805S more then 804S (i was trying to implement Subwoofer with 805s, but never succeed properly, so thats why i picked 803s (i dont need SUb with 803S).
                              All speakers that i count in this post i have a chance to have them at my place even few of them in same time to be able to compare (thanks to my dealer).

Biggest Tweeter improvement i had when i tried MC501 at my place. So if i'm at u'r place, i'll get 803s (if room is not too big for them, then there is no question 803D). If i get 803s, i'll spend extra money planed for 803D for better preamp or amp. I suggest Rotels as cheap alternative, or Classe or McIntosh (both are good i guess, based of personal taste which one to go).

My 802D friend have Krell, and i dont like how it sound (i have the same feeling about other krell setups i heard).

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• scanido
                                • Apr 2006

I have owned 804S for over a year and have too extensively demoed the 803S and 803D speakers. The 803S is no question an improvement over the 804S, offering bigger sound and better bass. The 803D to be honest is another step up but from my listening sessions i have noticed more bass than the better highs from the diamond tweeter. I could not justify the difference in price and used that difference for better electronics and a better balanced system all around.

If i was in your position, I would seriously wait for the new line and if you are at all into HT than I would opt for the 803Di and HTM2Di as fronts and 805Di for surrounds since they are about to be released. Of course you would need capable electronics to match this caliber speakers.

If you do not see yourself "investing" in this much coin down the road than you are better off trying to find the 803S or 803D speakers matched with the corresponding center and surrounds, which offer much better value!

Comment

• emig5m
                                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by specialized
                                  I have same dilema two years ago.. I was thinking between 805s/804s/803s/803d.

I had a chance to listen next to each other 805s/804s/803s and from those three 803s Sound the best, then 805s and i didnt like 804s. They had something that i dont like it.. Not having big sound like 803s and also not having the great imaging and focus like 805s. In same time i have 703s and 683s. I like a lot 703s as well (better then 804s i guess), and i dont like 683s at all (boomy bass and not sofisticated sound).

Before ordering 803s i have a lot of listening hours with 803D at my dealer place. I didnt notice that big difference like everyone on the net was explaining. Then we have few listening session at my friend place who have 803D with HTm3S and 805s. We agreed on SACD multichannel cd that we cant notice some big difference between S and D tweeter. Also at my dealers place when we talked about that, seem that D tweeter is longer lasting when high volume level is achived, and S tweeter is easy to be broken (When high volume is reached on some distortion music for example). And between lines even them agreed that they can't notice some big difference in sound. Anyway, im sure u wont have that kind of volume levels. Maybe to have all the benefits of 803D we didnt have proper electronics (i have listen them in different setups, one with MC501 x 2, other Rotel RB-1080 x 2 (biamped and one amp per speaker). Also try to get the speakers based on u'r room size, becouse 802D at my friend place is worst sounding speakers from my 803S in my room, the 803D at other friend and his 802D (too much boomy bass, and not clear sound). Its funny that in his room (which is pretty big), 685 are more musical becouse there is not that muddy tuby sound (802D are awesome speakers, just not suited in his room and his electronics maybe).

If im at u'r place i'll be torn between 803S and 803D, based not on tweeter, more on room size. 804D i expect to sound like 804S and something was missing when i had them at my place (i have chance to listen them for 10-15 days when i was testing).

To repeat i like 805S more then 804S (i was trying to implement Subwoofer with 805s, but never succeed properly, so thats why i picked 803s (i dont need SUb with 803S).
                                  All speakers that i count in this post i have a chance to have them at my place even few of them in same time to be able to compare (thanks to my dealer).

Biggest Tweeter improvement i had when i tried MC501 at my place. So if i'm at u'r place, i'll get 803s (if room is not too big for them, then there is no question 803D). If i get 803s, i'll spend extra money planed for 803D for better preamp or amp. I suggest Rotels as cheap alternative, or Classe or McIntosh (both are good i guess, based of personal taste which one to go).

My 802D friend have Krell, and i dont like how it sound (i have the same feeling about other krell setups i heard).

Greetings

Darko
                                  Interesting. When I first heard the 804S at one of my local B&W dealers I thought they had a very solid bottom end. Their room was well treated and it was running on the latest Conrad Johnson gear. I've been experimenting the past few days with my processors auto room eq and I've honestly been listening to the 804S without the sub for 2-channel music the past few days. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it this way, but my processors auto setup did set them to "large/full range" and I like experimenting and learning. With experimentation I found out that my slight bass null at 50Hz was actually a phasing issue between the sub and mains. I now have that fixed with a little phase knob adjustment. Also with a sine wave sweep I'm getting solid flat response down to 31Hz with the 804S. I have the 804S doing so good as low as 31Hz I can barely tell the difference between the sub and the 804S with a simple sine wave and turning the sub on/off (setting the speakers from large/small). I can even hear the 25Hz test tone out of them, but it is rolling off good at that point and then the sub has a much more powerfull feel at that point. But needless to say the bandwidth is wide enough to not need the sub active for the majority of music listening I do. Even rap and hip hop hits pretty damned good. And even more surprising is that those little woofers don't seemed stressed or overdriven at all. Even at volumes I can't hear my own voice. They definitely underrate their power handling I think, heh, because they can take everything my Emotiva XPA-5 can throw at them and not visibly or audibly seem stressed. Well I have a small room that's not too hard to fill with bass. But the B&W dealers room was three times the size and they still had a nice full bottom end to them even in the bigger room.

It's weird how you read some posts and one person preferred the 804S over the 803 (was it Kal that mentioned something about the 804S imaging better with the narrower cabinet?), the next person preferred the 805S over the floor standers, and then the next person trashed both them and says the diamond is the way to go, then you have a couple people that say they can't even hear a difference with the diamond tweeter, heh. You kind of have to take everyones opinions and experiences with a grain of salt because once that gear is in your room, it could sound totally different at your listening position. And everyones personal tastes and preferences are different. And even the quality of your recorded music might be brick-walling you from maybe hearing what those diamond tweeters are capable of (crap in crap out). And not every dealer I've been to can actually setup a system for good sound - I've heard some awful things from some very high end equipment. Then you go to some dealers and the sound is flawless (but these seem to be few and far in between). I'll give credit to the B&W dealers I've been to in my area....they've shown they normally have the best sounding systems and setup more properly in their dedicated rooms (well the Dynaudio guy can give them a run for their money).

Now I have always liked big sounding speakers, but the 803D was definitely way too big for my room. And honestly, I don't want speakers that big period anymore regardless of the room. Maybe 803S? I do like the idea instead of buying the 805S for my rears to replace my 685s, I'm thinking about getting a pair of 803S for front mains and moving my 804S to rear duty. But when say, I watch Transformers BluRay the sound IS big, real big with the 804S up front...even when running them full range (well the sub still does the dedicated LFE channel).

Now the footprint of the 803S (I've never seen them in person), is it as big as the 803D? Like the depth of the cabinet? I know the 803D was definitely too big for me, heh. I know the 803S isn't as tall, but what about the depth? Actually I just downloaded the spec sheets and the 803S is 17" deep compared to the 18" deep 803D and the 804S is 13.8 (I actually measured just under 13 1/2" with the grill off) so I think the 803S would still be too big for my current room. The 804S is just my speaker I suppose....heh. My Cerwin Vegas where around 17 to 19" deep, but I'm just not into the big footprints anymore, heh. The 803S at 17" is still a very big speaker IMO.
                                  Last edited by emig5m; 09 February 2010, 09:19 Tuesday.

Comment

• ak77
                                    • Jun 2008

emig5m and Specialized have the said it spot on. the importance of room dimensions, location of speakers and matching electronics. Swayback, dont be influenced with anybody's preferences which affect their choices. Some people like more bass and prefer 803D where as some people think that 803D has too much bass and prefer 803S (like me). Some might even think 804S has perfect imaging and combined with a good sub, beats them all hands down.

So as mentioned before, take this information with a huge pinch of salt and go demo all the speakers within your budget with a very open mind. there is no absolute speaker for everyone !

Andy
                                    System 1: B&W: 803S; Classe CAP-2100, CDP-102, Chord: Anthem 2 interconnect, Epic super twin cables

System 2: B&W: 685, Rotel: RA-05; Denon 3910; Denon DAB 1800 tuner; Merlin Choppin & Atlas Equator MKII interconnects.

Comment

• armandopavia
                                      • Jul 2007

Hi Htsteve,

well you say that 803d need a lot of "power" but i run my 803d with a jeff rowland 112 (150 power) with a hovland 100 hp pre. and it sound terrific!!

cheers

Armando

Comment

• htsteve
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by armandopavia
                                        Hi Htsteve,

well you say that 803d need a lot of "power" but i run my 803d with a jeff rowland 112 (150 power) with a hovland 100 hp pre. and it sound terrific!!

cheers

Armando

Armando,

That must be a sweet set-up. Your amp will have the power to deliver good current. That is what the 800 series love. Generally, 'bigger' amps are built to deliver this current. Not always, but generally.

Comment

• swayback
                                          • Feb 2010

Everyone,

I must thank all of you individually. Each person's input is definitely helpful. I will be going out of town in a couple of weeks and the store I plan to visit has a pair of used 803d's. You never know, I may end up purchasing them instead of the new 803d's.

thanks again!

Comment

• BlueSander
                                            • Apr 2008

Hi,
                                            I'm not going to start a huge debate over here but I listen to the Nautilus 802 and the new 802D less than a month ago. Same CD, the 802D was hooked up to Classe set up in a small room (they was in the process of moving things around) vs the Nautilus 802 was driven by McIntosh tubes. Without knowing the fact the 802D is newer + many up here said 802D is a huge step up from Nautilus 802, I would take the Nautilus 802 right on the spot. I came home a little confused and think that it's probably beause of the two sets were driven by different equipment and the 802D could not have been in its sweet spot, But one thing I know for sure, those diamond tweeters doesn't worth the difference in price. Many will not agree but whatever, everything I said is what I experienced with my very own ears, hence I'm in the market for a used set of N802 now.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                              • Feb 2008

The 803D has an extra woofer and the diamond tweeter, you will get more "air" and better bass response.
                                              SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                              [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• canamer94
                                                • Feb 2010

803S are a great speaker, but the 803D has another 7" Rohacell bass driver, and of course, the diamond tweeter. The 803D crossover also uses higher performance Mundorf capacitors. While the low frequency cut-off spec is the same on paper, the 803D has a higher SPL capability and lower distortion from the diamond tweeter. There is a big difference in price however.

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by canamer94
                                                  803S are a great speaker, but the 803D has another 7" Rohacell bass driver, and of course, the diamond tweeter. The 803D crossover also uses higher performance Mundorf capacitors. While the low frequency cut-off spec is the same on paper, the 803D has a higher SPL capability and lower distortion from the diamond tweeter. There is a big difference in price however.
                                                  No comparison, 803D are much better, that was a real upgrade not like the new release where they put some chrome rings to show that it's different :cry:
                                                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• scanido
                                                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                                                    No comparison, 803D are much better, that was a real upgrade not like the new release where they put some chrome rings to show that it's different :cry:
                                                    THe change with the new 803 Diamond is not just limited to the chrome rings. All the drivers have been upgraded, including the x-overs. There is no doubt it will be for the better. By how much nobody knows.

803S to an 803D is far from an upgrade as you make it seem.

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by scanido
                                                      THe change with the new 803 Diamond is not just limited to the chrome rings. All the drivers have been upgraded, including the x-overs. There is no doubt it will be for the better. By how much nobody knows. 803S to an 803D is far from an upgrade as you make it seem.
                                                      I owned both and sorry in MHO there are a lot of differences but then again it is just my opinion. Just listen for yourself and you will see :B
                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
                                                      😀
                                                      😂
                                                      🥰
                                                      😘
                                                      🤢
                                                      😎
                                                      😞
                                                      😡
                                                      👍
                                                      👎
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"