Arcam FMJ Electronics for new 800 Series?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedRock
    • Jan 2010

Arcam FMJ Electronics for new 800 Series?

Anyone have experience driving the B&W 804s or 803s with Arcam electronics? I'm about to purchase either a pair of 804s or 803s. I'm very interested to get some insights from members on the performance of this combination.

I currently have an earlier model AVR by Arcam. I will be upgrading my electronics to drive the new B&Ws and would like to stay with Arcam. My choices are either: Buy the new AVR600 (AV Receiver) for $4000 (20% discount off retail), or buy the discontinued P7 (Power Amp)/AV9 (Pre-Amp Processor), both for $3800.
    B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
    B&W HTM4Di (center)
    B&W SCMs (surround)
    Arcam AVR-600
    Arcam DV-137
    Arcam irDock
    Velodyne Optimum-10
    Furman Elite 15 PF
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

RedRock,

I have heard Arcam electronics, but have no extensive experience. However, between your choices, a pre-amp/amp combo is almost always better than just a receiver.

It is also cheaper in the long run. If a new audio format comes out, you simply replace the pre-amp. If you have a receiver, you have to replace the whole thing. Also, dedicated amps tend to deliver better current than receiver amps. This is important because the 800 series B&W's love current.

I would go with the P7/AV9 combo.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• emig5m
      • Aug 2008

I agree 100% with what htsteve just said.

Comment

• monkeyboy69
        • Oct 2004

Ive got AV8 and P7 which I run 802D on the front bi-amp, 805s on rear and a htm4 (yeah I know I want to replace this too) and love the sound.

Will look towards changing the av8 shortly or just using 5.1 analog out from a blu ray player to get the new codecs. ~Still feel the Av8 trounces many system on its stereo performance so why change it jsut to get the latest HR codecs

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

Who are you dealing with in Las Vegas on the Arcam gear?

EDIT:

REDROCK - I sent you an email. Give me a call when you have a chance. :T

Comment

• MikeFL52
            • Oct 2007

If you want to stay with Arcam, why not the AV888?

Comment

• RedRock
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MikeFL52
              If you want to stay with Arcam, why not the AV888?
              Unfortunately, the $6,900 price tag on the AV888 is not within my current budget. My thoughts were to initially go with the AV9/P7 combo and at some point in the future upgrade just the AV9. I believe it's safe to assume the P7 will continue to be a viable power amp in the outyears to support changeout of AV processors.
              B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
              B&W HTM4Di (center)
              B&W SCMs (surround)
              Arcam AVR-600
              Arcam DV-137
              Arcam irDock
              Velodyne Optimum-10
              Furman Elite 15 PF

Comment

• swayback
                • Feb 2010

Redrock,
                Thanks for your post on my question earlier regarding the s vs. d speakers.
                I see you're going to purchase an 804s or 803s. I was told there were no more 804s's in the states and that there were three 803s's left to ship to the USA. With the discontinuation of the 804s and aluminum tweeter in the 803s, why did you choose one or the other over the new 803d?
                thanks.
                Swayback

Comment

• RedRock
                  • Jan 2010

Swayback,

You're correct regarding availability of the 804S. I confirmed with my dealer they are no longer available. Based on my demo sessions with the 804S and 803S, I'm quite comfortable that the 804 will suit me very well in my (relatively small) HT room. Therefore, I'm going to order a pair of the new 804 diamonds and the HTM4 diamond center. The demo went so well, I'm positive the new model 804 (diamond) will only sound better. If the HTM4 center doesn't work out, I can always upgrade to the HTM2 diamond using my dealers 1 year upgrade policy. Initially, I thought the 804 would compromise too much of the low end, however, after extended listening sessions, I know they'll be just fine. I'm also running a Velodyne Optimum-10 subwoofer, so a nice deep low end will be no problem. The money I would have put into 803 diamonds is now going toward upgraded Arcam components to power the B&W setup. :T
                  B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
                  B&W HTM4Di (center)
                  B&W SCMs (surround)
                  Arcam AVR-600
                  Arcam DV-137
                  Arcam irDock
                  Velodyne Optimum-10
                  Furman Elite 15 PF

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

RedRock,

You have a very good plan. The diamond tweeters are quite excellent. You will enjoy that part of the new speakers.

You mention an HT room. It it a dedicated HT room? Also, how big is it? I have a relatively small dedicated HT room, 11' X 16". I have 802D's in it. They sounded quite excellent in there at the beginning (I built it about two years ago).
                    I also have since put in some acoustic treatments, which definitely improved the performance. Just something to ponder if you have that kind of opportunity.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                      • Feb 2008

Having owned the Arcam P7 and CD36, I found they are very good. They powered a pair of B&W 803D's with HTM2D and later a pair of Focal 1007Be bookshelfs with CC1000Be centre.

I must admit, for 2 channel music the Arcam P7 was not the pick of the bunch, I would go for a different amplifier. CD36 did a great job for music.
                      SoundEngine355

-------------------
                      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• scanido
                        • Apr 2006

I would take the newer AVR600 as it is newer and can process the new HD formats. Since the AV888 has had glowing reviews and is similar to the AVR600 minus the amps, i would definately opt for the receiver. Down the line we have more funds you can always add an external 2CH or multichannel amp.

It began when my oldest brother, 13 years my senior, returned from military service and told me about "hi-fi." Until then, all I'd known was our ancient tabletop radio-phonograph with its insatiable appetite for osmium styli. Back then, in the early 1950s, audio componentry was scrappy, still evolving from World War II military electronics and public-address systems. I began reading the electronics magazines and learned that, to get started, I needed a record player connected to an amplifier and a speaker.

Depending on the size room, I've ran my 804S and 803S from a Rotel RSX-1057 75w per channel receiver and it was adequate.

Comment

• style
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Feb 2006

sorry doppel post ops:

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

I agree with SoundEngine355:

the Arcam CD36 - CD37 are 2 player not expensive but very good: at the level from a player much more expensive!!!

for powerampli I dont' find Arcam a special ampli product...for preampli and cd player ok but the power ampli no thank's.

the AV888 can be a great surprise. (with a Rotel too!)

Style

Comment

• monkeyboy69
                              • Oct 2004

This is a debate many have discussed on another forum, do i go for the newer codec in av600 or stick with the cheaper av8/av9 which have more stable firmware.

Amplication wise I dont think its wise to buy a receiver and then buy another 2 channel amp on top further down the road. That just seem bizarre in my head.

So if you want arcam, which I personally like the sound of you have several option here
                              av600 - which is meant to sound amazing but currently suffers from firmware issues and handshaking HDMI
                              av888 - a pronounced step up from av600 but then you have to get an amp on top. P7 or P777 Both of which will run you over the budget of the av600
                              av8/av9 - Both of which sound fantastic and can be had at a fraction of the cost of the av888 these days. HD decoding can then be done by the blu ray player to ensure you get high def sound.
                              or possibly the new av500 - which to be honest i dont know much about.

Me im sticking with the av8 and will be combining that with a panasonic bd80 and using the analog out from that

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"