• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

B&W new Set Up

Hallo,

I have, at today a reat B&W803D, Htm2D, 805S with Classe Audio electronics..

in the last time the idea to have a very good 2 channel I have
    this Set up in my head:

802D (a new or a "old model") for a great 2 channel
    CMC2c as center
    CM7 or CM9 as surround.

i do: the Htm2D and 803D is a perfect match but theupgrade to te 802D can pay but can be too a mode to money wasted...

The CM serie is and sound great, very apprecied from the all the magazines in Europa and USA wit a ot of "best speaker.." and so like that...

with a couple of CAM400 in the future the 802D are very good "placed".
    for the surround the CM7 are enough! for a movie with exposion, ecc. are sure good!

A pair of opinion are apprecied!! :W

thx Style
  • pazu
    • Nov 2009

Hi, Style!

I think yours is a very good idea!

:T

Comment

• style
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2006

thank you pazu¨

you are a "audiofilo doc" and you understand what I will make.... :W

Style

Comment

• btf1980
        • Aug 2007

I personally would leave the HTM2D and 805s as is with the 802D. I like the CM series, hell I have a CM based system, but I don't see the point of this mismatched system you propose. It would be a step backwards imo.
        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Omar, this is what I considered when I made my decision regarding the 802D's and especially the centre speaker:

1. I love music more than movies and this became my driving force behind my decision to focus on the centre speaker.

2. Although music Blu-rays are quite scarce, I nurture a belief that more will become available as time passes. The few music Blu-rays that I own get played and enjoyed a lot ... as much as 2-channel.

3. The most critical and important multi-channel speaker to me has now become the centre speaker due to the fact that it is mainly responsible for delivering vocals - and vocals I do enjoy.

4. When it comes to 2-channel listening, the left & right front speakers become as critical to me as does the centre for multi-channel duty.

5. If I were financially constrained, I would most likely sacrifice the surround speakers & subwoofer and have ONLY the 3 front speakers ... and these 3 front speakers would most likely all be the same. I realize that this is very difficult to accomplish from a practical standpoint (space & height factors).

To summarize ... my focus is on which speakers I would consider to be critical and the reasons as to why I find them to be critical.

If we apply this to your awesome setup ... we see that you have a front end that is the best possible practical match (excluding the 802D's). If you were to move in the direction of the 802D's ... you could consider keeping your HTM2D? Unless multi-channel sound is not too critical to you .... but have you considered music on Blu-ray?

Omar, my intention is not to influence your plans but rather to provide a basis of comparison and give you insight regarding my reasons. If you find this helpful to you then great. It is most often quite difficult to make decisions in this hobby as there is always so much uncertainty. If we can minimize this uncertainty (we cannot get rid of it altogether as it will always be present) then we can better our plans and ultimately our decision-making.

Lots of good luck and please keep us posted.

Comment

• garak
            • Jul 2007

Hi Omar,

I think you should upgrade to 802Ds, keep your HTM2D, and move your 803Ds to surrounds. Remember, we're supposed to keep our systems the same. :T

Brian

Comment

• beden1
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2006

Omar,

I think you have too much time on your hands, and you are driving yourself crazy thinking about upgrading your system.

That being said, you did not mention what sub woofer or woofers you have. I have twin 15" subs that serve to fill-in my 803ds very nicely.

I think we already have a great matching speaker system with the 803Ds and HTM2D. If you moved up to the 802Ds, and as was already said, I think you would be happier with the HTM1D. That means you will have to upgrade your three front speakers to do it right.

Then of course, you will also have to upgrade your surround speakers to the new 805Ds or better, in order to balance with your new front speakers.

Better to enjoy listening to what you have, and just play with adding sub woofers. :T

Brooks

Comment

• beden1
                Super Senior Member
                • Oct 2006

Omar,

The other thing to consider, is to try upgrading your amps before upgrading your front speakers to the 802D and HTM1D.

My 803Ds really opened up and started to perform excellent when I hooked them up to the CAM 350s. You would probably upgrade your amps to the CAM 400s anyway if you went for the 802Ds. By first upgrading your amps, you may decide you don't need to upgrade your speakers afterall.

Just a thought to ponder.

And, if you decide to upgrade your center speaker amp as well down the road, maybe we could split a pair of used CAM 400s, as upgrading my center channel amp is next on my list.

Brooks

Comment

• style
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2006

Thank you very much for the feed back.

the music with bluray is a point not considered in the proper weight. Lucien're right. CD disc is dead? I do not think yet ...
                  have a front-end all the same is important. this I noticed this when I had the 803d for htm2D for concerts and even movie.... is not 3 x 802D but the 3 tweeter match is very good...
                  Brook with the arrival of SSP800 your 803D will have given much satisfaction. as never before. actually post the 803d is a good speaker that so many satisfactions.
                  Have before 2x cam400 and after evaluating new speaker is to be taken into consideration!
                  I have a sub B&W750: Velodyne with a lot of things can be solved without changing the 803D....
                  Brian have the 803D as rear in place of the 805 and the new 802D is a perferct solution: the more expensive but is sure very great.

We have not yet matched the new 805D-802D: The new 805D is certainly a temptation, we must first listen and with the new prices, finding the right solution is not easy. (If you look at the economic side too!)
                  new 803d-802D with htm2d (old) can give nasty surprises. I do not think that the new D series has a change of the series so different now but you never!

put on the scales 2 x CAM400, the 802D, the new sub, new cd player and having to choose between them is not easy.
                  my 803d and htm2D are practically new and can still give me much satisfaction before being replaced!

first thoughts on these with your feed back ... now we see how things turn, the ideas and then see what to do: I keep you informed.

thanks for your opinions always welcome ....

I give you the news and every news opinion / option is always welcome.

greetings Style

Comment

• garak
                    • Jul 2007

When I get my 802Di, I'll let you know how they match the with HTM2D. That may help your decision.

I'll call my dealer tomorrow to see if he has any information on when they may arrive.

However, were you also considering the previous 802Ds with a 30% discount? That may be your best solution.

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

Omar,

Although I think the 802D is a very good speaker, I'm not convinced that it is worth the money to upgrade from the 803Ds, if you are purely looking at them to improve your stereo listening. If I was going to spend more money over the 803Ds, personally, I would not be satisfied with the 802Ds as my main speakers. They just would not be much of a dynamic upgrade.

For stereo, I really think I would be most satisfied with the 800Ds, and these speakers would provide you with a noticeable improvement. But, they present problems for multi-channel, when you consider having to upgrade your center speaker and power amps, etc. And, since you would be faced with having to upgrade your center speaker as well, I think I would take time to listen to speakers from other manufacturers, particularly for the money, and possibly get something great that is also not as demanding of power (more efficient).

Sub woofers aside, you already have an excellent multi-channel setup. There is not much that the 802D will improve for multi-channel.

Comment

• wettou
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • May 2006

800Di all around in 7.4 configuration using 14 CT-M600 and 4 Gotham :T

That is the set-up one can dream of :B Of course you will need the room to go with it 20 m x 30 m :rofl:
                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• mjb
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Its best to stick with the same series all around. My suggestion:
                          1. Keep your HTM2D.
                          2. If money is no problem, move the 803D'to the back and sell the 805's.
                          Otherwise, keep the 805's, and sell the 803D's - 805's are enough for movie rears.
                          3. Add the 802D's.
                          4. Enjoy!
                          - Mike

Main System:
                          B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                          Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

Hallo,

at first is I go see the 803D I can say that is a very good speaker:
                            the big jump is sure from my old 803S to the 803D Diamont: here is very the big jump: more notable vs. 803D to 802D. the 802D is sure a udgrade from the 803D but the very big upgrade is from the 803S to 803D.!
                            the system 803D htm2dD and 805S in multichannel is a good combination: better vs. 802D and CM serie:that is sure abd you are with me correct?!?

My 803D are like new: the DIAMONT tweeter are be replaced from 2 month with a "intern accord" with my freind from Class`!! = 803D like new!
                            If I sld my acket 803D,htm2D and 805S I muss pay another 5k $$. to have the kit 802D and CM speakers! = too match !
                            I have received a offert for a pair of the last 801D fur CHF. 15000 !!(make the money change to $$ an you can yoursef see that is/was a very = minus expensive vs. the 802D and here is a big upgrade! but I dont will have a 801D or 800D : they are too big my ideal speaker is the 802D.
                            the old version from the 802D is sure much minis expensive from a "new 802D!" : the point is of is "onle the tweeter the uograde or the xover and &co. are be changed in the new serie!!
                            the 805D going with the stand from the 805S: money saved. with this changing fro the rear with a 805D or 804D is too a good solution: Brook you have the 703 as rear, I had the 703 too (as mains) and is a very great speaker) if you go change the 703 with the 805/804D "only" for color but the point is the tweetert Diamond !! -> you muss go with te piono black becouse the black ask in not available....

Yes Brian I can have sure a pair of 802D "old model" with a very good price.
                            and I can consider this point.
                            in multichannel with the bluray like say Lucian is a point more important as what I have thinked! and the Sacd give me sure more safisfaction with the actuall setup. not wit the 802d and CM serie....

wettou my room /salon is 10 meter long and 6 meter breight: the 800Di is a pint that I dont will have: the gotham are not available in Europa:
                            I'm not interessed.

Mike your solution is the what have more sense, but the 802D need a power ampli too.
                            if I go buy the 802D, a pair of CAM400 or 2x CA2200 in bi-amp. is "necessary" in the paquet = more expensive fom the 802D "without powerampli. The CA5200 is in my room and is a perfect combo with the SSP800. better is place the 803D as rear and place a pair 802D is
                            amaing you know? that true that the 805S as rear is enough for movie but is I most sell my 803D for €. 4800-5000 i'm not so happy... :W
                            Lucian have made like aou have wirte the 803D in the rear and the 802D as new front.:I find the Htm2D is more as enought:the Htm1D i dint like bette have 2 802D asfront end: the plasma got place to much highly for my taste...
                            a good beamer will be another extra...= 802D, 2x cam400, beamer6screen = not only the 802D ib the budget!!!

Brian if you go have new over the new 802DDi is very apprecied.

with this "hobby" is a "war" without end! always more, aalways a new piece!.

the first buyng can be the the 2x CAM400: the 803D will give me a very good nd big upgrade!. a CA2100 to make a 7.1 is too apprecied but I prefer go with a great 5.1 channel vs.the 7 "good" sytsem or others! channel...that's correct???
                            Brook a couple of sub liike a Velodyne DD10 is more in my taste vs. a single DD18.....

and have a separete combo with a cp500 or better the cp700 second hand (the cp500 will be no more produced...) with a CA2100 or play with the triggers from the SSP and inglobe this last solution in theactul system?

thanks Omar

Comment

• Antus
                              • Apr 2008

when i was upgrading my system from Matrix 801 S2, i tried 803D, 802D, and 801D. I end up getting 802D because it was the best match for my need.
                              Although 802D is a better overall speaker comparing to M801 S2, I like the bass impact of M801 over 802D. ON 802D, the low bass was "squeezed" from the port rather than from bass driver.

if you want to get rid of the "upgrading iche" get the NEW 800Diamond and sell 805S. You can use Classe 5200 to bi-amp the 800Diamond speaker. you'll only need to buy another 2 channel for surround speakers.

If you like deep bass impact, 801D is another great option. However, u will need to upgrade to a more powerful amp. i would think Krell 400W at least. for sure Classe 200W won't do the work. (i think Classe is on the lean side, while Krell is more full sound)

another cheap way to upgrade is to sell the 805S and get 805Diamond. in that case, u will spend only around $2K USD and can have a all diamond system. in the mean time, save up for the next major upgrade in 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"