X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • artv4
    • Jun 2007

b&w 805 problem

hi everyone!!!!!! i just purchased a pair of b&w 805 and having issues. i used to own b&w 603 s3. the 805's sound great. though, for some reason i know they could sound better. not sure what is going on. they are being powered by a rotel rb-991 and a rotel 1058 reciever. also using straightwire rhapsody ii speaker wire biwired. i have towed them in a bit, but, my imaging sounds different in a bad way compared to my 603s3. i feel like they sound kinda flat. so i started playing around with the crossover settings. first with 60hz (which the 603s3 were set at) and 80hz. at 60hz they sound quite clear yet lacking any bottom end. 80hz produces a bit more robust sound and kinda bloated. if you own a pair of 805's what do you have your settings at. i wondered if if was my rotel rb-991.......... just not sure :rofl: i listen to 2 channel about 30% and home theater 70%. 2 channel at the moment (using my mac mini in high res) sounds awkward some compared to my 603s3 setup. so, sometime this week i plan to hook my 805's to the rotel 1058 to see if it sounds better. i know i made a good purchase just having issues. ANY SUGGESTIONS???? :M
    GO Revel!!!!! (powered by ;x( Anthem)
  • artv4
    • Jun 2007

here is a pic of my setup
    Attached Files

Comment

• boarder1995
      • Sep 2009

It's all about synergy. Ok, I just wanted to say that to sound audiophile-ish. I've spent some good time with 805S and love the 800 series. The 805S I've heard in numerous settings have great volume capability and produces impressive bass. These were hooked up to Mac gear in one LARGE room and a Classe integrated in another small room. In each setting I have found them to be very placement dependant to get that airy tweeter yet maintain good robust bottom end. Even with my 803D, they can sound light or thin on the bottom when not positioned right. But go too far with moving them and they get good bass, but totally loose their very open imaging and objects start to sound as though they are eminating from the tweeters/mids rather than floating out in space.

Also, consider trying out some other, perhaps generic, speaker cable, not bi-wired. Just try to eliminate some of the possible variables. Also, turn off all crossovers and tone controls initially, and perhaps use a simple analog source or basic CD digital in. Keep repeating a familiar passage or song and move them a bit, then repeat. Keep in mind I find the 800 line to be more difficult and amp dependant to drive. I thought all amps sounded the same, until I got into the 800 line and now notice how different amps can either shine or really flop.

I've also noticed with the 805 versus the 600 series, that they aren't as bloated on the bottom. The 600 tend to be more bassy, but not as defined, perhaps a bit muddy. After listening to the 600 line a while, I returned to the 800 line and thought they were a bit light on the bottom, but so much more revealing in the bass.

This is just my recent personal take on things, but also remember you've moved up a fair bit in quality and cost and there may be some mental aspect you're trying to find too much improvement and if you don't always hear that great improvement, you start to look for reasons. Good luck and try to enjoy finding the holy grail of audio with your new 805S units. By the way, your setup looks great with those massive "hoses" coming out of the back of the speakers.

Comment

• artv4
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by boarder1995
        It's all about synergy. Ok, I just wanted to say that to sound audiophile-ish. I've spent some good time with 805S and love the 800 series. The 805S I've heard in numerous settings have great volume capability and produces impressive bass. These were hooked up to Mac gear in one LARGE room and a Classe integrated in another small room. In each setting I have found them to be very placement dependant to get that airy tweeter yet maintain good robust bottom end. Even with my 803D, they can sound light or thin on the bottom when not positioned right. But go too far with moving them and they get good bass, but totally loose their very open imaging and objects start to sound as though they are eminating from the tweeters/mids rather than floating out in space.

Also, consider trying out some other, perhaps generic, speaker cable, not bi-wired. Just try to eliminate some of the possible variables. Also, turn off all crossovers and tone controls initially, and perhaps use a simple analog source or basic CD digital in. Keep repeating a familiar passage or song and move them a bit, then repeat. Keep in mind I find the 800 line to be more difficult and amp dependant to drive. I thought all amps sounded the same, until I got into the 800 line and now notice how different amps can either shine or really flop.

I've also noticed with the 805 versus the 600 series, that they aren't as bloated on the bottom. The 600 tend to be more bassy, but not as defined, perhaps a bit muddy. After listening to the 600 line a while, I returned to the 800 line and thought they were a bit light on the bottom, but so much more revealing in the bass.

This is just my recent personal take on things, but also remember you've moved up a fair bit in quality and cost and there may be some mental aspect you're trying to find too much improvement and if you don't always hear that great improvement, you start to look for reasons. Good luck and try to enjoy finding the holy grail of audio with your new 805S units. By the way, your setup looks great with those massive "hoses" coming out of the back of the speakers.
        i think my mental aspect is trying to seek improvement vs cost. i just know something is quite incorrect. listening to 2 channel music has me so puzzled. home theater viewing seems great and totally better. thanks for the awesome insight. i will keep you informed

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
          • May 2008

I run my 805s in an actual bookshelf, toed in, with my REL 305 taking over at 60 hz...they are biwired with my Musical Fidelity KW500...they like lots of power. I think your Rotel will be ok for them, but like everything in this hobby, when you make a leap in one area, it usually points out the weakness in another. I have never heard the 603S3 to compare with, but am thrilled with the sound/soundstage and dynamics.
          Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• dknightd
            • Mar 2006

Did you change anything else besides the speakers? Do you still have your 603? If so, try putting them back in place of the 805 and see how they compare (again).

Comment

• weijst
              • Jun 2004

My pair of 805S is standmounted (FS stands), app. 2.5 m apart, 15 cm from the rear wall and toed in a bit. They're single wired (I believe that the money for bi-wiring is better spend on a higher quality single wire...)

While both the image and soundstage have alway been in a different league than those of my previous speakers (DM602(S1), DM602S3 and DM603S3) it is the bass that doesn't stop to amaze me! Even though I have owned the 805S for quit some time now in various listening areas I'm still often pleasantly surprised by the bass these little guys produce, both with my previous Rotel RSP1068/RMB1075 setup and (especially) with my current Classe SSP-300/CA-5100 combination.

Stereo listening for me has alway been and will probably always be without use of a sub. Offcourse for HT I'm using a sub, at which moment the crossover is set at 80 HZ.

Although both the DM602S3 and the DM603S3 went 'deeper', I experience the bass of the 805S to be more 'defined' and/or 'tighter' (using words to describe sound is always a challenge ), which for music I believe is a good thing.

Just keep try moving your 805S around to find their ideal position for you and your room, but don't expect the same low end as your DM603S3. Try not to focus on how low the bass goes at a certain position, but on how the bass sounds and how the overall image changes.

Good Luck and let us know how thing turn out!
              Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• artv4
                • Jun 2007

found out that my Rotel RB991's gain had to be increased on my Rotel RSX-1058. i used a radioshack SPL meter to diag. the problem. 100% better. man, anything i write here on my new b&w 805s would be an understatement. super happy on my purchase. thank you everyone for the advice!!!! go B&W!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• swayback
                  • Feb 2010

Are you using your subwoofer to supplement the bass in a 2.1 format when listening to music or 805's alone?

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                    • May 2008

Originally posted by swayback
                    Are you using your subwoofer to supplement the bass in a 2.1 format when listening to music or 805's alone?
                    I use a REL 305 to supplement them...I ran them previously without it and they do give more base than you might expect, but the sub certainly fills it in and gives the overall sound more presence.
                    Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• artv4
                      • Jun 2007

i use my velodyne hgs-12 with my 805's. it is a servo driven sub and extremely accurate. i agree with kahunacancuk that the sub fills in and gives an overall presence in sound. honestly, i would run them without the sub, though, my room does not permit me to take advantage of placement for the b&w's

Comment

• artv4
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by boarder1995

thanks for the "hoses" compliment!!!! :T
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"