X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KahunaCanuck
    • May 2008

HTM1D Vs. HTM2D

I have an opportunity to trade my HTM2D for the HTM1D...I hadn't really planned to do this for some time, but if I want to make this upgrade I either make this deal or wait and buy used later on, then sell mine. Being such a big brute, I am not sure I really want to do that.

So, my question is, for those that have either had or extensively listened to both, is it worth the money to upgrade? I listen to 60% Music 40% Movies, and of that 60% maybe 5 - 10% is multichannel music. I understand that the Marlan head will match the midrange of my 800Ds better, I guess the question is, how much better though? I would still have to get a custom rack down the road to get the tweeter higher and closer to the 800Ds, but my current rack isn't high enough either, and a third 800D is not an option...my screen is too low.

This is a older pic:

Thoughts?
    Kahuna's Theatre
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

It's a huge difference! I actually can't believe B&W will stop making the HTM1D. I understand from a financial perspecitve, but it's such a great match for the 800D or 802D. Go for it!

Here is my set up:

Comment

• taker
      • Aug 2005

I haven't herd that B&W will stop making the HTM1D where did you here that from

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by taker
        I haven't herd that B&W will stop making the HTM1D where did you here that from
        Its true.. No more HTM1D in the new lineup..
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• taker
          • Aug 2005

I'll have to call my dealer and ask him.

Comment

• ninja12
            • Mar 2007

I'll have to call my dealer and ask him.
            Yes, it's true. The HTM1D is now discontinued. The centers now are HTM2D and HTM4D. I'm glad I purchased my HTM1D when I did.

Comment

• ninja12
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
              I have an opportunity to trade my HTM2D for the HTM1D...I hadn't really planned to do this for some time, but if I want to make this upgrade I either make this deal or wait and buy used later on, then sell mine. Being such a big brute, I am not sure I really want to do that.

So, my question is, for those that have either had or extensively listened to both, is it worth the money to upgrade? I listen to 60% Music 40% Movies, and of that 60% maybe 5 - 10% is multichannel music. I understand that the Marlan head will match the midrange of my 800Ds better, I guess the question is, how much better though? I would still have to get a custom rack down the road to get the tweeter higher and closer to the 800Ds, but my current rack isn't high enough either, and a third 800D is not an option...my screen is too low.

This is a older pic:

Thoughts?
              The HTM2D is a good speaker. However, without a doubt, the HTM1D is definitely a better match for the 800Ds. I have 802Ds, and I owned the HTM2D for about 2 months. I could definitely tell when the sound would pan and hit the center channel. The sound was different. An opportunity was presented to me to get the HTM1D at a fantastic price, and I didn't hesitate. I jumped on it instantly, and I am glad that I did. Now when the sound pans, I don't notice a thing. Yes, the HTM1D is a monster. It weighs 205lbs unpacked. If you do decide to get it, I would suggest you build a platform to put it on so it's not sitting on the floor. The tech at B&W suggested putting it on a stand.

Anyway, good luck. You can't go wrong if you do decide to get it.

Comment

• Relentless
                • Jul 2007

I have the 800D's and had the HTM2D(still have it, just not using it) and was driving it with a different amp than the 800D's and if I was not at the volume I calibrated the system at the center would draw attention to itself slightly... so I thought. Then I found out that the HTM1D is fading into history and figured I would have to buy one now or gamble on a possible used one in the future. I decided if I was upgrading centers I should get the exact same amp across the front three. The amps got to me before the HTM1D did so I hooked up the front three and it was a world of difference before even getting the HTM1D. After the HTM1D got to me I have to say if you have 800D's you absolutely need the HTM1D! I did not know home theater could be that good. I never experienced seamless clarity like I do now with HTM1D the 800D's and the same three mono blocks. The money to upgrade the speaker was way worth it to me, but depending on what you are driving your center with you may need an amp upgrade also.

I know the same three speakers across the front argument is coming
                I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                Lou

Comment

• KyaDawn
                  • Mar 2008

I agree with everyone on this thread that the HTM1D is the way to go. With it being discontinued, there is probably a very limited time one can buy it new, so now is really the time! I also see the price of the HTM1D used retaining much of its value in the future or even appreciating due to the fact it's being discontinued.

I've heard the HTM2D, but not the HTM1D, but even so, I think the HTM2D barely matches the 802D. Don't get me wrong, it's a great center, but when you own 800Ds, which I've heard, I think the discrepancy is even larger.

If you have the means to upgrade to the HTM1D, definitely go for it!

Comment

• Oddiophile
                    • Jul 2008

This summer I upgraded from the HTM2D to the HTM1D. KyaDawn has it right when he says that the HTM2D was barely a match for my 802Ds. Since then I have upgraded to the 800Ds. For them the HTM1D is the only match if one has to use a dedicated center channel speaker. So, if you can get an HTM1D, go for it.

Jim

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                      • May 2008

Thanks for the comments guys...still tough to decide
                      Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• William
                        • Aug 2006

Thanks for the comments guys...still tough to decide
                        I have 802D's (803D's rear) and had a HTM2D and it never timbre matched. I upgraded to a HTM1D and it was a major improvement. If B&W offered me the new Diamond 802's and 803's with HTM2 I would say no because there is no way I'd give up my HTM1D for a HTM2. Once you hear how well a HTM1D matches your 800's there will be no going back.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jan 2006

KahunaCanuck, if I were in your shoes I'd go for the HTM1D. The decision that you have been presented with could be seen to be a rare opportunity given your awesome setup.

Towards the end of last year I found myself to be in a similar position ... to purchase an 802D centre (and sell my HTM2D - which I did) or run the risk of never again being able to get a "single" 802D due to the looming 800 series change. I took the decision and now feel glad that I did.

Good luck and please keep us posted. :T

Comment

• 1oldguy
                            • Dec 2008

I wonder if a 803D would be better than an HTM2D if the 802D are mains?
                            A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Relentless
                              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                              lets see..... the 803D would benefit from the extra 7"driver and larger cabinet, but cant be put on its side because the tweeter and FST would be off center. If height is not an issue than saving up for the 3rd 802D would be the way to go in that situation.
                              Lou

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                • Dec 2008

I was asking in theory only as I surely won't be buying any speakers.More of a shoot off between the Htm2D versus the 803D.Have any tried this I wonder?Thoughts, opinions?
                                A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• taker
                                  • Aug 2005

Anyone got any pictures of the HTM4D ?

Comment

• William
                                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                                    Yes my 803D's sounded quite a bit better than my HTM2D. Overall I was somewhat disappointed in the HTM2D. It just never timbre matched (even the 803D's). One thing to keep in mind is the 803D's are about 1" taller than the 802D's. If at all possible the best center by far would be another 802D. I wish I could have a 802D as my center but my screen precludes that.

Comment

• beden1
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by William
                                      Yes my 803D's sounded quite a bit better than my HTM2D. Overall I was somewhat disappointed in the HTM2D. It just never timbre matched (even the 803D's). One thing to keep in mind is the 803D's are about 1" taller than the 802D's. If at all possible the best center by far would be another 802D. I wish I could have a 802D as my center but my screen precludes that.
                                      I would have to beg to differ regarding the match between the 803Ds and the HTM2D. I have my front three speaker's diamond tweeters set up on a level plane. Even though I power my HTM2D with a different Classe amp that I compensate for by adding 3db, one would need a super trained ear to notice any difference whatsoever during any multi-channel performance.

I think the HTM2D is a natural mate in the middle of the 803Ds, just as the HTM1D is a natural mate between the 802Ds. The 800Ds could really use a larger center, but at the very least, an HTM1D is the best available speaker, IMO.

Comment

• RedRock
                                        • Jan 2010

Anyone got any pictures of the HTM4D ?
                                        Attached is a B&W photo of the new HTM4D.
                                        Attached Files
                                        B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
                                        B&W HTM4Di (center)
                                        B&W SCMs (surround)
                                        Arcam AVR-600
                                        Arcam DV-137
                                        Arcam irDock
                                        Velodyne Optimum-10
                                        Furman Elite 15 PF

Comment

• KyaDawn
                                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                                          The 800Ds could really use a larger center, but at the very least, an HTM1D is the best available speaker, IMO.
                                          That's a scary thought, but it's quite true. :T The HTM1D is actually closer to the 802D, though I understand it has better crossovers. Can you imagine a center speaker designed like a 800D on its side? It'd be a monster!

Comment

• dmccombs
                                            • Sep 2006

I have Cherry 802D up front,and just made the HTM2D upgrade to the HTM1D. My local dealer had a Demo unit he was selling that had light use.

The dealer hadn't used the Center channel for a couple of months, so I could hear it break back in a little over the first 60 minutes of listening.

The HTM1D is is huge, but it really makes a seamless soundstage across the front, and the voices sound more realistic. It is a noticeable upgrade.

The HTM2D is a terrific center channel, and goes very well with the 804S, 803S, 803D, and 802D. I will be selling my HTM2D now and a part of me will be sad to see it go.

If you have the extra room and extra $$$, the HTM1D is a great match for the 802D, 801D, and 800D speakers. The size and cost difference is considerable, and so are the sound improvements, if the rest of your system is resolving enough.

Good Luck in your choosing. The good news is you can't lose either way.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                              • May 2008

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys, I have taken the plunge, & will have the new speaker on Friday... :T
                                              Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Relentless
                                                • Jul 2007

Way to go, you will not be sorry :T
                                                Lou

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Thanks for taking the time to comment guys, I have taken the plunge, & will have the new speaker on Friday... :T
                                                  Good! I love your room and cant wait to see pics!
                                                  B&W

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Wise choice. I echo the (unanimous) statements made by the others. With a pair of 800D there is no other consideration other than the HTM1D for a timbre matching center. The HTM1D is literally an 800D mounted horizontally from the surface area of the bass drivers to the quality and construction of the crossover network.

You will be amazed by the seamless integration you'll achieve across the LCR, especially at floor level. No need to raise it off the ground (unless you prefer the look that way). It's a big nasty center that will rock your AV world. A substantial upgrade that you'll have no regrets making. It's really that good. The envelopment from this arrange is so good in fact that you could almost drop the surrounds in a 5.1 system.
                                                    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                                      • Feb 2008

Given the investment you have already made in your system, the HTM1D would bring everything into line. If you can afford it, just do it.

The HTM1D is an excellent speaker, I've heard it many times, tops the HTM2D by yards.
                                                      SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                                      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• style
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Feb 2006

Hallo,

i have a Htm2D and the htm1D yes, great but is toooo big, make no sense...

I prefer have 3 x 802D if you muss upgrade from my htm2D but a Htm1D no thank.

this is MY pesonal opinion.

Style

Comment

• beden1
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by style
                                                          Hallo,

i have a Htm2D and the htm1D yes, great but is toooo big, make no sense...

I prefer have 3 x 802D if you muss upgrade from my htm2D but a Htm1D no thank.

this is MY pesonal opinion.

Style
                                                          I agree. It's shocking how big the HTM1D is when you see it in person.

Comment

• ninja12
                                                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by beden1
                                                            I agree. It's shocking how big the HTM1D is when you see it in person.
                                                            Yes, the HTM1D is a monster; but, after you get it in place, it just blends in. I would strongly suggest that you layout where you want to put your speakers and make sure that's where you really want them to be. Once you put the HTM1D in place and sit down and listen to it, it's well worth the effort. Please believe me on that. It's a AWESOME speaker. Like nothing I have ever heard for a center channel. Trust me, you will not regret it if you decide to get it.

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                              • May 2008

The HTM1D is huge, but fits in my room:

I am loving it...like Rebelman described, I now have one huge solid soundstage. I didn't think my old system was lacking, but the difference is considerable. I am still tweaking positioning etc. but am thrilled i pulled the trigger!

Thanks again everyone for your input! :T
                                                              Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

I am loving it...like Rebelman described, I now have one huge solid soundstage. I didn't think my old system was lacking, but the difference is considerable. I am still tweaking positioning etc. but am thrilled i pulled the trigger!

Awesome setup and room. It looks like it sounds great! :T

Comment

• William
                                                                  • Aug 2006

Originally posted by style
                                                                  ...I prefer have 3 x 802D if you muss upgrade from my htm2D but a Htm1D no thank....
                                                                  3 802D's (801D's in the OP case) would be the best sound quality (SQ) option (BTW the 802D's (801D's) are "toooo big" also) but it must also fit under his display. So if SQ is a priority then the HTM1D is the next best option. If size is more important than SQ then a Bose Acoustimass would be an even better choice.

Comment

• William
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2006

....I am loving it...like Rebelman described, I now have one huge solid soundstage. I didn't think my old system was lacking, but the difference is considerable. I am still tweaking positioning etc. but am thrilled i pulled the trigger!

How is the fit with your screen lowered? Does your screen bottom come to just above tweeter level?

Also glad to see you have moved your subs. They were differently in ineffective positions. :T

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                      • Mar 2005

I love your setup, that whole room looks so cozy. ;x(
                                                                      B&W

Comment

Working...
                                                                      😀
                                                                      😂
                                                                      🥰
                                                                      😘
                                                                      🤢
                                                                      😎
                                                                      😞
                                                                      😡
                                                                      👍
                                                                      👎
                                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                      Search Result for "|||"