X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian Steeves
    • Nov 2000

Suggest a DIY main speaker....

I am researching DIY main speakers and would like to hear people's experiences with different brands and models. ACI, Shamrock, northcreek, BESL, Speaker-city, etc...
    I have no experience with designing mains and crossovers, hence the kit route. But I do consider myself an accomplished woodworker, so complicated cabinets aren't really an issue.

I am already familiar with Adire's 281's so other speakers are really what I'm interested in hearing about.

At this point I am considering all price ranges. I would be using them for both HT and Music. More than likely I will build floor standers, but bookshelfs aren't out of the question if bass response is good enough.

I have an all Mirage "Omnipolar" setup now. Mains are OM-10's. The OM-10's are very transparent but lack the midbass I like, and have a somewhat laid back midrange. I know this is to be expected with a bi-polar speaker.

So any experience with DIY kit speakers would be greatly appreciated.
    She said,"you're gonna put that thing WHERE!"
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Brian,

No one that I'm aware of makes a di/bipole kit, except for surround speakers. And these are to small. And I wonder if you'd be happy with a "regular" speaker after living with the soundstage created by the Mirages. So what are your thoughts on that issue? If you don't care, then there are plenty of good kits available. But if it is something you want then we'd need to create a new speaker, using doubled kits/side. Not all that difficult, just more work. Larger bipolar speakers can have plenty of "punch"

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Well there's always the route Thomas suggested for me...buy Maggies instead. If you want to keep the dipole sound what about buidling something using one of the ribbon tweeters?

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"