X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RedRock
    • Jan 2010

HTM3s or new HTM4 Diamond?

Hello,
    I'm new to the forum and would like some advise on which B&W center speaker would best match the new 804 diamonds. My choices are the HTM3s, new HTM4-diamond, or the new HTM2-diamond. It seems that the HTM3s may be a good match based on the configuration (3-way) and equivalent size of the drivers. Also, I can still purchase the HTM3s new. It represents the best value, considering the recent price increases associated with the alternatives. My only concern with this setup is combining the "standard" tweeter in the HTM3 center with the new diamond tweeters in the 804 fronts. Would this configuration work out, or would the difference be noticable and undesirable?

The new HTM4 diamond is obviously a viable choice but it still has only 1 combined mid-base driver. Will I get full, satisfying sound from the mid-base driver as compared to the full range of the 804's?

I believe the new HTM2 diamond would be a bit excessive (in size and cost) to combine with the 804's.

BTW, I'll be using 2 SCMs speakers for surround channels.
    B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
    B&W HTM4Di (center)
    B&W SCMs (surround)
    Arcam AVR-600
    Arcam DV-137
    Arcam irDock
    Velodyne Optimum-10
    Furman Elite 15 PF
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

I would suggest staying away from the HTM3S. If you just antied up the coin to get the Diamonds on the 804 then you must find a noticeable improvement over the 804S. And there should be!

If you go with a non-diamond center, you will not have a nice match. I would prefer the HTM4di to the HTM3S. But of course you really ought to get the HTM2Di if cost is not an issue and a best match is desired..

It really ticks me off that B&W dropped two 800 series centers...
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• jamesdaman
      • Apr 2008

Htm4Di all the way

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by jamesdaman
        Htm4Di all the way
        What are your reasons?
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• style
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2006

hi,

i have a 803D & Htm2D. is a great match.

with the new linie with don't have a compare but the 804D and Htm2d will but sure the better solution.
          of couse the dimension from a htm2D are "notable" but if you go now with a htm4d and in a pair year the 804D goind as rear you most replayce the center too.

the htm3s is sure nott bad but is you have the Diamond i prefer go with the
          D serie ffor the center too.

room dimension, only or more music vs. movie? you use is too important.

Style

Comment

• jamesdaman
            • Apr 2008

Well the htm4di is new will match anything in d line up better so it's more future proof and the old htm4 was cracking with a diamond tweeter I'm having to guess but I'm sure it's going to Rock

Comment

• RedRock
              • Jan 2010

You've all confirmed what I knew was the right answer - keep the diamonds consistent across the front. Due to my available budget which is already stretched way beyond intial expectation (since B&W dropped the 800 "S" models), I'll probably have to go with the HTM4-Diamond center initially. Hopefully this will be adequate since the dimensions of my listening space are 18'x16'x9'. I can always upgrade to the HTM2-Diamond center later using my dealer's 1-year upgrade program. Thanks for the feedback.
              B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
              B&W HTM4Di (center)
              B&W SCMs (surround)
              Arcam AVR-600
              Arcam DV-137
              Arcam irDock
              Velodyne Optimum-10
              Furman Elite 15 PF

Comment

• dan87951
                • Nov 2005

Redrock honestly I wouldn't even consider the 804. For the kind of money your spending a good used set of 803D's will be a much better buy and twice the speaker ($5500-6k). I have never been a fan of the 804's and I expect the diamonds not to be much different but a sweeter top end but for $7500usd there are better deals to be had. Good Luck. As for centers the only was to go would be the HTM2D. If moneys an issue get one used.
                dan87951
                audio guru

Comment

• RedRock
                  • Jan 2010

Dan,
                  You made some good points and I will look into the used 803D's. However, considering the new 800 series, the price difference between the two configuations (i.e., 804D/HTM4D and 803D/HTM2D) will be ~$4,300. Would the 803D's sound be significantly better as to justify the increased price? Keep in mind I don't have a huge room (16'x18') - would the 803D's be overwhelming in that size space?
                  B&W 804Di (L/R mains)
                  B&W HTM4Di (center)
                  B&W SCMs (surround)
                  Arcam AVR-600
                  Arcam DV-137
                  Arcam irDock
                  Velodyne Optimum-10
                  Furman Elite 15 PF

Comment

• stuofsci02
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by dan87951
                    Redrock honestly I wouldn't even consider the 804. For the kind of money your spending a good used set of 803D's will be a much better buy and twice the speaker ($5500-6k).
                    I would assume this is only a guess on your part as you have not heard the 804Di..
                    Main System:
                    B&W 801D
                    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
                    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
                    Oppo BDP-105
                    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
                    B&W CM7
                    Emotiva UMC-1
                    Emotiva UPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-83SE
                    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• dan87951
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by stuofsci02
                      I would assume this is only a guess on your part as you have not heard the 804Di..
                      "I have never been a fan of the 804's and I expect the diamonds not to be much different but a sweeter top end but for $7500usd there are better deals to be had."

As stated in my last post "I expect".

Either way law physics apply with things being reasonably equal and within reason. The older 803D's will be the better speaker! You get twice the cabinet (better bass) and bigger drivers (bigger sound stage). Sorry guys I don't buy into this round of marketing hype!

I really can't comment on the 804D's as no one has heard them. But my predictions above predicts they will sound similar to a 804S just with a diamond tweeter. Reason I say that is because the limiting factor of driver size and cabinet size. Don't get me wrong I'm sure B&W improved the 804D's but will it be worth it at a cost of close to double the original 804S price, probably not! You can buy a used set of 803D's (current model) for $5500 so 803D's would actually be cheaper than a new set of 804D's. If it was me don't even bother with the 804's go straight to a 803D but only your ears can decide that!
                      Last edited by dan87951; 29 January 2010, 19:45 Friday.
                      dan87951
                      audio guru

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

Hallo,

I agree with dan87951.

I don't have never listen (like all you) the new 80xD but a old 803D is a great speaker no word.
                        I don't think that the new comer can be so revolutionary: a 804D don't can paragonate with a 803d, from the new serie or old.

the new line CAN be better, or DIFFERENT vs. the old but is too possible that new D serie have a sound that dont like at the all people. a personal taste.

the center htm4Di is more perfomer vs. the old htm4 that's sure but is too much overpriced. a great Htm2D demo or with little live give you more satisfaction.

Comment

• Charlieu
                          • Oct 2008

I agree and disagree with dan87951. It really depends on your room. If you have the 804S now and are having issues taming the bass in your room, the 803D will only aggravate the problem. I have to plug the port in one of my 804S because of it's position in the room. If you aren't getting the room filling sound, then you need a speaker with bigger drivers.

The HTM3S may or may not be a suitable center for the 804 Diamonds. We won't know until some people try the combo. As it stands now, the HTM3S is not a perfect match with the 804S due to it being sealed while the 804S is ported. The difference in sound isn't really noticeable unless you are listening for it and using test tones. It might be the same result when combined with the 804 Diamonds.

Comment

• dan87951
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Charlieu
                            I agree and disagree with dan87951. It really depends on your room. If you have the 804S now and are having issues taming the bass in your room, the 803D will only aggravate the problem. I have to plug the port in one of my 804S because of it's position in the room. If you aren't getting the room filling sound, then you need a speaker with bigger drivers.

The HTM3S may or may not be a suitable center for the 804 Diamonds. We won't know until some people try the combo. As it stands now, the HTM3S is not a perfect match with the 804S due to it being sealed while the 804S is ported. The difference in sound isn't really noticeable unless you are listening for it and using test tones. It might be the same result when combined with the 804 Diamonds.
                            Wow, your the first person I have heard that says they have a problem with to much bass coming out of there 804S's. Just out of curiosity what is the size of the room you have these speakers in?
                            dan87951
                            audio guru

Comment

• timjclark
                              • Apr 2009

As it stands now, the HTM3S is not a perfect match with the 804S due to it being sealed while the 804S is ported. The difference in sound isn't really noticeable unless you are listening for it and using test tones.
                              Are you saying that the HTM4S is a better match to the 804S (and 803S for that matter) because the HTM4 is ported and the HTM3 is not? I find that my front three is a seemless soundstage even though the htm3 is the "recommended" center channel for the 803S. FYI - I bought the htm4 on a whim actually when they were being closed out.
                              -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
                              -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
                              -Rotel: RSP-1069
                              -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
                              -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
                              -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• Charlieu
                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by dan87951
                                Wow, your the first person I have heard that says they have a problem with to much bass coming out of there 804S's. Just out of curiosity what is the size of the room you have these speakers in?

It's 13' X 18' with a ceiling that slopes from 10' in the front to 25' in the back. It's not the room size, it's the speakers position that causes the problem. The left 804S has some serious peaks and dips below 100Hz a port plug settles these down. Room correction and crossover does the rest. I don't plug the other one.

Comment

• Charlieu
                                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by timjclark
                                  Are you saying that the HTM4S is a better match to the 804S (and 803S for that matter) because the HTM4 is ported and the HTM3 is not? I find that my front three is a seemless soundstage even though the htm3 is the "recommended" center channel for the 803S. FYI - I bought the htm4 on a whim actually when they were being closed out.
                                  I'm not saying that, but having not heard the HTM4S, I can't say whether or not the HTM4S would be a suitable center for 804S or 803S. The HTM3S has the FST driver like the 804S and 803S, as well as the aluminum tweeter. With the HTM3S being sealed, you lose some bass compared to the ported main speakers. Mids and highs are identical. Crossing to a sub will negate any major differences. It's only if you run your speakers full range that you might hear a difference in sound. As I said before, even running full range, I have to play pink noise before it's noticeable.

I imagine that your 4S will work quite well if you are crossing to a sub. I use 805S as my surrounds and they provide a very solid presentation with multichannel music. I used to have JBL's as surrounds and I could hear the instruments and voices change as they moved to the back.

Comment

• emig5m
                                    • Aug 2008

I'm not saying that, but having not heard the HTM4S, I can't say whether or not the HTM4S would be a suitable center for 804S or 803S. The HTM3S has the FST driver like the 804S and 803S, as well as the aluminum tweeter. With the HTM3S being sealed, you lose some bass compared to the ported main speakers. Mids and highs are identical. Crossing to a sub will negate any major differences. It's only if you run your speakers full range that you might hear a difference in sound. As I said before, even running full range, I have to play pink noise before it's noticeable.

I imagine that your 4S will work quite well if you are crossing to a sub. I use 805S as my surrounds and they provide a very solid presentation with multichannel music. I used to have JBL's as surrounds and I could hear the instruments and voices change as they moved to the back.
                                    I wonder why they didn't port the HTM3S and let you choose to plug the port if you wanted? I do notice the deeper bass doesn't match the ported 804S, I can't totally rule out placement as being a contributor as the mains are closer to the corner and the center is away from the side walls, but I did start using a little eq boost around 60Hz on the center to help blend with the front mains as I do use a lower 40Hz crossover. Say a helicopter panning from left to right does sound seamless with my final settings. Otherwise, the HTM3S is a kickass center speaker. Leaps and bounds better than my previous HTM61. The clarity...the airiness...the power...

Comment

Working...
                                    😀
                                    😂
                                    🥰
                                    😘
                                    🤢
                                    😎
                                    😞
                                    😡
                                    👍
                                    👎
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"