X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Obrut993
    • Jan 2010

804S Break In Period, Bass Cone Flex

Hi

General question regarding break in period. Just past about the 50hr mark with my new 804S. Running them with Classe CA-100s in mono. I have started to push the speakers abit more now, but do not notice much movement from the bass drivers, even with music heavy in bass, is this normal?.
  • emig5m
    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Obrut993
    Hi

General question regarding break in period. Just past about the 50hr mark with my new 804S. Running them with Classe CA-100s in mono. I have started to push the speakers abit more now, but do not notice much movement from the bass drivers, even with music heavy in bass, is this normal?.
    Yea, I notice they can handle a lot of power. They don't move as much or as easily as the 683 did. I can be playing at volumes where I can't hear my own voice and the woofers are barely moving. Strong little woofers.

Comment

• duketbrd88
      • Jul 2009

They will sound what they sound like and that is it. I would give them maybe a couple of days, like two. i have the same speakers and have never fell for the break in period stuff. Mine are hooked up to a classe ca2200 and sound just as good as the day i hooked them up and the woofers move plenty. That is just my opinion, you have great speakers, enjoy them and don't worry about how many hours your putting on them. if you want the woofers to move more give them more power or turn the volume up. Just sit back and enjoy!!!

Comment

• omar7631
        • Sep 2009

Do you have the speakers set to large in your processor, When I had my 804s in small mode all the bass went straight to the subwoofer, then I set them to large and made sure the processor was also in the LFE+main mode and I noticed a lot more movement from the woofers.
        B&W 804s
        B&W htm3s
        B&W dm601 s3
        Outlaw lfm-1 EX x 2
        Denon 2808ci
        Emotiva XPA-5
        Emotiva XPA-2
        Sony PS3

Comment

• Obrut993
          • Jan 2010

Thanks for the replies, I am not concerned with how many hrs logged on the speakers just more of a curious question thats all.

my previous OM-10s also had 2 6.5" drivers and used to move quite abit more, but at the same time the bass was not sounding as tight or focused as the 804s.

Comment

• altanpsx
            • Nov 2008

Try Fast and Furious Tokyo Drift race scenes. See how these woofers are acting!!

Comment

• WelshOne
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Obrut993
              Hi

They are designed that way, hence using stiff materials like Rohacell. Can you see the FST driver moving, nope!

Drivers moving aggressively is a sign of distortion approaching, and/or your running out of headroom.

IMO

Comment

• BWzes03
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by WelshOne
                They are designed that way, hence using stiff materials like Rohacell. Can you see the FST driver moving, nope!

Drivers moving aggressively is a sign of distortion approaching, and/or your running out of headroom.

IMO
                I wouldn't say that exactly, my 10" Alu/Paper/Kevlar long-throw cone inside my subwoofer can move quite aggressively, without any distortion ....

Comment

• duketbrd88
                  • Jul 2009

[QUOTE=omar7631]Do you have the speakers set to large in your processor, When I had my 804s in small mode all the bass went straight to the subwoofer, then I set them to large and made sure the processor was also in the LFE+main mode and I noticed a lot more movement from the woofers.[/QUOTE

good idea, i wasn't even thinking about that because mine is strictly two channel with the classe CP500 preamp and CA2200 amp. I would have them set to large, which you probably already do. They are great sounding speakers! What preamp/proc. are you using?

Comment

• WelshOne
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by BWzes03
                    I wouldn't say that exactly, my 10" Alu/Paper/Kevlar long-throw cone inside my subwoofer can move quite aggressively, without any distortion ....
                    Its a long throw subwoofer for a start, so its design is slightly different in principle to the OP's speakers.

However, if its moving 'aggresively', i.e. signs of reaching its max cone throw, then how do you expect to gain more SPL, or even lower hz's. That driver has to be able to start and stop efficiently, and fast enough, to correctly play each bass note 'cleanly'. A movie explosion on a typical X" sub at high SPL levels could actually be several distinct explosions, which 'generally' is only more audible on subs with better/bigger drivers and qaulity power. (the scene where the hospital blows up on TDK is a prime example, at ref level, its not one big explosion, its as least 3 individual, ' very distinct' explosions, as each level detonates)

If the OP's drivers are moving aggressively, then as I said in my previous post, "signs of distortion 'are' approaching and/or your running out of headroom."

If they are not moving aggressively, but are still producing good qaulity bass at reasonable SPL's, as the OP states, then that is a good thing. There is more left to come so to speak, whether more power is needed is another thing again.

The OP is trying to identify if his cone movement is related to his bass capabilities. This is why speakers such as the 800's are designed with strong, stiff materials to help reduce unnecessary cone movement and distortion, and in particular is why the 800's have such an articulate, tight bass, but require such good amplification. They are not uber low bass performers, unless were talking 801/800D's, even then............

Using action movies as an indicator of bass performance relative to the cone movement on the 804S is sure to quickly run into possible distortion or clipping at high spl's, whether it be audible or not.

Sorry, I may stand corrected, and would happily be corrected if I were wrong, but these are the things I have learnt over the years, distortion and colouration really affect the sound, whether we think its right or not. :takecover:

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"