X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewM
    • Oct 2000

How much magic can a BFD do?

Ok, so I finally made the dive into front projection what has cleaned up the front of my room considerably. However the single low Q sealed Tempest which used to be a minor part of the room is now a major eyesore (a 32"x23"x23" box will do that).

So it needs to shrink in size, but because it's a Tempest that may be hard to achieve. The .7Q sealed design is looking OK, but is still a little large, so I was looking at something like a q of .9 (which shrinks the box down to the mid 60L range) without adding to much of a spike in the response. Can the BFD add a bit of boost to the low end and smooth out the response without to many negatives? The system is used primarily for HT use, although the system does get the occasional music workout.

Thoughts?
    Andrew
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I use 20 Hz lift from a Behringer and don't have any issues with sound quality.

You might consider selling the Tempest and grabbing something with a lower Vas.

The BluePrint BPD1503 $175, and still available from www.audioliquidators.com has a Vas of 132L, that's much smaller than Tempest.

Another option is the AV-15 from Stryke Vas 140L.

Final option is getting a second Tempest and going with an isobaric. They sound really good but there the issue with the clamshell mounting = not too pretty

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• sfdoddsy
      • Sep 2000

I also use the BFD to boost the very low end for my sealed sub as well as for room correction and the changes seem all to the good to these cloth ears.

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"