X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antonkk
    • Jan 2010

800, 801 or 802 for my room?

Hi, I'm a new guy here and this is my first post. I'm thinking about building a McIntosh/B&W system for both stereo and HT. Of course it starts with fronts. Now the room is 50 sq.m but it's a studio and the listening area is not as big. I can give 800 and 801 appox 60 cm (2 ft) from the back wall, slightly more with 802s as they are not as deep. The distance between the centers of the speakers is approx 2, 3 meters anf the distance between the speakers and my ears is 3,8 - 4 meters (that can be adjusted by moving the sofa). I'm used to big sound of my current vintage JBL L150 with their 2 12 inch woofers so I'm worried that 802s may sound a bit tiny. On the other hand I'm worried that 801 or 800 may overload the room with bass. What do you guys think?
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Antonkk
    Hi, I'm a new guy here and this is my first post. I'm thinking about building a McIntosh/B&W system for both stereo and HT. Of course it starts with fronts. Now the room is 50 sq.m but it's a studio and the listening area is not as big. I can give 800 and 801 appox 60 cm (2 ft) from the back wall, slightly more with 802s as they are not as deep. The distance between the centers of the speakers is approx 2, 3 meters anf the distance between the speakers and my ears is 3,8 - 4 meters (that can be adjusted by moving the sofa). I'm used to big sound of my current vintage JBL L150 with their 2 12 inch woofers so I'm worried that 802s may sound a bit tiny. On the other hand I'm worried that 801 or 800 may overload the room with bass. What do you guys think?
    I guess the first question is what are the WxL dimension of your room? Is it 7m x 7m or 5m x 10m.

Next, I feel that with the distance from you to your speaker, your speakers should be further apart for good imaging. Ideally you would want to make a equal triangle between you and your speakers if possible. I am not sure if a big speaker would respond negatively to being so close together.

Now I don't own any of the 802, 801 or 800 speakers, but I would imagine you would want a little more breathing room then what you can give the 800,801. I would imagine you would want to keep them at least 2-3ft from the back and side walls.
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

antonkk,

I have an 11' by 16' dedicated HT room (where I also listen to stereo). I have 802D's in a 9 foot equal triangle. They are also a couple of feet from the wall behind them. They sounded excellent in that room. I did not find anything really wrong in the performance. I have since incorporated acoustinc treatments in the room. That has only improved the performance.

Any of those main speakers you are considering LOVE current. I also have a Mac/B&W system. The combo does all things very, very well. Make sure to consider a stereo amp for the mains. They will love the current.

The 802D's do not sound small in my room at all.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by htsteve; 26 January 2010, 08:14 Tuesday.

Comment

• jamesdaman
        • Apr 2008

My rooms 15x15 and ive got 805s, i assumed being that size i couldnt fit anything like the 802d's in here??

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

My room is 15x16 and I have two N802s. Id go 800s if I could afford it.
          B&W

Comment

• Antus
            • Apr 2008

your room should be fine with any of the 8 series, 800D, 801D, or 802D will all sound good. however, there will be slightly difference between those three.

I have upgraded from Matrix 801 S2 to 802D. Although the bass "volumn" on both speakers are about the same, the M801 (with 12inch woofer) sound more "direct" and "impact". On 802D (with twin 8inch) the lowest sound come from the port which will spread across the room with bass "effect".

If money is not an issue, 800D will be the best overall amoung the three. but the new 800 Diamond is around the corner, i will get the new model if i am going to spend that much money.

801D is great if you want the bass to be "direct" and have an impact. BUT you will need quite powerful amp to drive the 15inch driver. At my dealer, they use Classe 400W mono and i think even that can't get the 15inch moving. (i would think Krell 400W should do the job, but i never heard that combination)

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Originally posted by htsteve
              antonkk, I have an 11' by 16' dedicated HT room (where I also listen to stereo). I have 802D's in a 9 foot equal triangle. They are also a couple of feet from the wall behind them. They sounded in that room. I did not find anything really wrong in the performance. I have since incorporated acoustinc treatments in the room. That has only improved the performance. Any of those main speakers you are considering LOVE current. I also have a Mac/B&W system. The combo does all things very, very well. Make sure to consider a stereo amp for the mains. They will love the current. The 802D's do not sound small in my room at all. Hope this helps.
              My room is 20 x 18 x 10 feet and the 802D are fantastic, I just need more power the CA-5200 does a great job!
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"