X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ebaran
    • Jan 2010

685 mains - center: 685, HTM61, HTM62 or HTMM4S

I've been reading this forum about a month now and this is my 1st post. Lot's of great info and experiences! I've had my HT for a year and am ready to move into B&Ws. I'm looking for your experiences and recommendations.

I've heard the 685's and was very impressed. I heard them with the HTM61 also, but not for long. After reading many posts, I'm a bit concerned over the dispersion pattern of the HTM 61, especially, since one couch is off to the side and that's where my wife sits! We'll be using this mainly for HT vs. music. We want to have very clear dialogue and sound from the center.

I can foresee trading up to maybe the 805s in the future, but not for the next year or two. So, I have chance on a used HTM4S and am wondering if that would be a good match for the 685's as front mains. I'm thinking it will satisfy our need for a a center for a long while. My next add after this will likely be surrounds, that will need to be mounted on the back wall.

Here is what I am working with :
    12'x14' living room, one wall opened to dining room. HT is positioned on long wall, with main seating up against opposite wall.
    Denon AVR-3805
    Klipsch sub.
    Pioneer Plasma

Thanks for you help and experiences!
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

The 685 would be the best match for the center with 685s but the HTM4S is a better sounding speaker. If you plan on upgrading to a pair of 805Ss in the future then I'd say to get the HTM4S now. Less upgrading later on.

Eric

Comment

• htsteve
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by hifiguymi
      The 685 would be the best match for the center with 685s but the HTM4S is a better sounding speaker. If you plan on upgrading to a pair of 805Ss in the future then I'd say to get the HTM4S now. Less upgrading later on.

Eric

ebaran,

Eric totally nailed it. As you are looking at the 805's later, I would get the HTM4S now. Plus you would get the benefit of a very good center channel now. The HTM4S would have excellent dialog, something you have noted as important. Also, these will be harder to get now that the 800 line has been replaced. I would grab that now.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

The HTM61 is a poor center.. Take it from someone who has one. I have had it matched up with the 683's and it is still a poor center. Go for the HTM4S or another 685. I found the CM Center was a nice match also, but then you might as well get the HTM4S.
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• ebaran
          • Jan 2010

Guys,
          Thanks for your feedback! I was leaning towards the HTM4S, but wanted to be sure i wasn't overdoing it.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"