X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WelshOne
    • Jan 2009

Has anyone bought a DB1 yet?

Im seriously thinking about ordering this new sub. I know its a little crazy having not even seen one but B&W have never made a bad sub, the size looks about right for my room, and I like the auto eq idea.

Does anyone have any real hands on experience with this subwoofer, or can share any info other than the obvious specs etc.

David
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

They haven't started shipping yet. It will be February for the first ones hit stores.

Eric

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Hmm - still thinking about it. Not sure if it should be the DB1 or the Vantage S....

The insiders will get the joke..

Comment

• WelshOne
        • Jan 2009

OK, cheers. Aston jokes aside though...... :W

I have asked B&W and this will be the flagship sub of the range.

From reading the B&W blurb, they claim quite boldly that this is the best subwoofer available :roll:

Now, not that im ever taken in by marketing blurb, but that is quite a big statement to make. However, my attention has recently been drawn to the Paradigm Signature 25, which price wise seems to be in the same ballpark, yet they are two completely different subs?

On paper my instinct tells me that the paradigm is the better, and the EQ system, developed by Anthem, should be better than most going by Anthems credibility.

B&W have never made an EQ system before, so how and where has this technology been attained.

Im not quite sure what my point is, lol, maybe im just looking to kick off some discussion on the design and philosophy of the new DB 1.

I know its a cliche thing to say, but you could buy two PB13 Ultras for that money, and maybe some change for an EQ system? Is this the mindset to take, or do you think the new DB 1 could be something special?

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Until the DB1 is available it's pretty tough to know what will be better. What you should get is the new Paradigm Sub2. That looks like a monster!! Here is a short video with a demo of it. It's only $7,500.00 US in cherry and $8,000.00 in gloss black .

A demonstration of the total output and vibration cancelling feature of the Paradigm Reference Signature Sub 2

Eric

Comment

• WelshOne
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by hifiguymi
            Until the DB1 is available it's pretty tough to know what will be better. What you should get is the new Paradigm Sub2. That looks like a monster!! Here is a short video with a demo of it. It's only $7,500.00 US in cherry and $8,000.00 in gloss black .

A demonstration of the total output and vibration cancelling feature of the Paradigm Reference Signature Sub 2

Eric
            8O

Even if I could afford that, I think the wife would put a stop to that bit of fun! :

Thing is, I could just about squeeze a PB Ultra into my current room, with some unflattering shifting of rack and centre speaker, but the next room is smaller again, so it doesnt look good.

Also, and maybe a surprise to some, im not too bothered with plaster crack inducing bass, I have a young family and its a quiet street. I currently have a 12" sunfire HRS. I really like it, it has oomph, but when the real heavy stuff starts I 'think' it may be showing its limits?

My thought process is that with a smaller room, my crossover could/should be higher to help reduce any reverb/boom from the 803D, HTM2D, 805S. Im currently crossed at 60hz, and there is a surprising amount of bass through just the speakers this way. Im also using a sub for music.

Therefore im trying to find a sub that suits my room and needs, yet give the best performance I can acheive? Im also in the UK if you hadnt noticed already, so importing concerns me with regards to warranty/back up, and this then greatly reduces my options.

This is why something like the DB 1 'may' be the right option?

Im a bit overwhelmed!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

If I were to win the lottery, it would be some 800Di's in Piano black and a pair of G213s

B&W

Comment

• Relentless
                • Jul 2007

edit
                Last edited by Relentless; 26 January 2010, 02:45 Tuesday.
                I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                Lou

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                  If I were to win the lottery, it would be some 800Di's in Piano black and a pair of G213s

http://home.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=370
                  Pair?

Why not 1 for each channel? 7 Signature diamonds and 7 of these subs.

Comment

• WelshOne
                    • Jan 2009

So none of you B&W fans thinking of buying one then?

Just me? :roll:

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by WelshOne
                      So none of you B&W fans thinking of buying one then?

Just me? :roll:
                      I have had a few B&W subs. While I liked the looks the ASW-855 did not impress me for the size/cost. This new one would have to be leaps and bounds better for me to consider one.

Ive had better sound with two 12" klipsch subs at a fraction of the cost.
                      B&W

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Nolan B
                        Pair?

Why not 1 for each channel? 7 Signature diamonds and 7 of these subs.
                        I figured Id leave some to be avail for fellow HTG members to buy.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rzpx1pQMDnU[/YOUTUBE]
                        Last edited by Race Car Driver; 26 January 2010, 14:17 Tuesday.
                        B&W

Comment

• emig5m
                          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by WelshOne
                          8O

Even if I could afford that, I think the wife would put a stop to that bit of fun! :

Thing is, I could just about squeeze a PB Ultra into my current room, with some unflattering shifting of rack and centre speaker, but the next room is smaller again, so it doesnt look good.

Also, and maybe a surprise to some, im not too bothered with plaster crack inducing bass, I have a young family and its a quiet street. I currently have a 12" sunfire HRS. I really like it, it has oomph, but when the real heavy stuff starts I 'think' it may be showing its limits?

My thought process is that with a smaller room, my crossover could/should be higher to help reduce any reverb/boom from the 803D, HTM2D, 805S. Im currently crossed at 60hz, and there is a surprising amount of bass through just the speakers this way. Im also using a sub for music.

Therefore im trying to find a sub that suits my room and needs, yet give the best performance I can acheive? Im also in the UK if you hadnt noticed already, so importing concerns me with regards to warranty/back up, and this then greatly reduces my options.

This is why something like the DB 1 'may' be the right option?

Im a bit overwhelmed!
                          I don't like big boxes regardless of room size anymore. If you're running out of oompf with the Sunfire HRS 12, maybe the Sunfire Signature EQ would be right up your alley. It goes 8db louder, and at low frequencies, that could seem like a lot. I picked one up pre-owned from a owner of a Dynaudio dealer for $950. I've seen them brand new for around $1200. How can you beat it's performance for that price? Not easy. And even if you could, how do you retain the small footprint? Probably not happening. Price/performance/footprint....in a league of it's own IMO.

HRS 12 Maximum SPL (inc. room gain) 108dB
                          SignatureEQ Maximum SPL (inc. room gain) 116dB

I say if you like your current Sunfire, go grab the Sig12eq and call it a day! I love mine! Small footprint, great power, reasonable price... Good deals to be had on both new and used...

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"