X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skyblue
    • Jun 2009

800D vs. S800

So I understand there are some very nice Signature 800 as well. Some even say it has a better midrange than the normal D series. What else is the difference? Do the S800 have a diamond tweeter as well? Do they upgrade it or is it an old model?
    B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

No, they do not have the diamond tweeter.
    the Sig 800s are about 8-10 years old. They are the same as the regular Nautilus 800 with a fancy finish.

I once got a fortune cookie that read, "Ask and ye shall receive. This includes trouble." A few years back, shopping for speakers, I inquired about reviewing the B&W Nautilus 802, but it was too soon after Wes Phillips had reviewed the Nautilus 801 for Stereophile. So, other auditioning and reviewing (and buying) other speakers, I asked again, and again was met with deferral. Recently, out of the blue, B&W offered the Nautilus 802—then, in the next breath, asked if I'd rather have the Signature 800s.
    B&W

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

The tweeter and midrange are a little different between the N800 and Signature 800. The woofers and crossovers are the same however.

Eric

Comment

• Skyblue
        • Jun 2009

Hmm from the reviews I've read, the S800 have a great midrange, whereas most critical reviewers think the 800D is mm midrange for its price. Maybe they do not like neutral?

I hope it's improved in this new revision, because that what I want. 802Di or 800Di, time and cash will show
        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• JargonGR
          • Feb 2009

There is absolutely no difference between the S800 and N800 apart from finish and no matter how hard I tried I found no mention of the opposite.

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

The tweeters and midrange drivers are not the same. You can even check the parts lists, the part numbers are different.

Eric

Comment

• Race Car Driver
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by hifiguymi
              The tweeters and midrange drivers are not the same. You can even check the parts lists, the part numbers are different.

Eric
              I believe that has to do with the "finish" of the pieces. The Mid has that gloss "finish ring" and same with the tweeter.

The "good stuff" is supposedly the same, the asthetics of the parts are what makes them different, thus making the part numbers different, lower production numbers, higher cost.

At least thats the impression I have been under this whole time, if there is something stating otherwise elsewhere I would love to see it. Because the only thing I have seen in print states the 2 speakers are the same, minus the looks.

(not trying to be argumentitive, just try and clear it up. If I am wrong I would like to be proven so. That way I dont go on thinking/stating falsely)
              B&W

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

I don't take it as argumentative. I'm not right all of the time (just most of the time :lol: ). I remembered from B&W training a while ago that it was stated they were different. Most of the focus was on the tweeter being an upgraded one. One of my coworkers at the time purchased the Signature 805 and and it sounded better than the N805 that was in the store. I'll try to confirm that with my rep, but that is what I remember.

Eric

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Good good, I know sometimes written words can "read/sound" different than the intention.

On that note, I would expect the S805 to sound different than the N805 because the N805 has "regular" B&W crossovers, the whole sig line & N800 had the upgraded crossovers from my understanding. Thanks for lookin into it.

Chris
                  B&W

Comment

• JargonGR
                    • Feb 2009

Every review I have seen states clearly that they are exactly the same minus the looks, however if there is any formal info stating otherwise I would also like to hear so.

Comment

• worldys
                      • Dec 2005

i have owned the 800d and listened to the Signature 800 in a store

800D, no question, the sigs look pretty but don't have a substantially different design than the nautilus series, the 800D benefit from the diamond tweeter and lighter bass drivers, so better highs and faster bass, i did not appreciate a big difference in the midrange

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                        • Jun 2006

The S800's do have a different tweeter that is shared with the Signature 805. I do not know if it is just cosmetic or iof it is different.

I think that it is basically the same tweeter as the "S" speakers, hence the name "S" on the 805 to 803's.

Comment

• worldys
                          • Dec 2005

the "s" tweeters have a little rubber surround, check you your sig and see if it is just an aluminum dome, or an aluminum dome with a little rubber surround, that should answer the question

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"