X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karri
    • Apr 2003

Best Gauge for subwoofers.

Good day,
    I'm going to be building a couple of Shiva Sonotube Subwoofers and was wondering whats the best gauge of speaker wire to use. The Sub woofer amp I'll be using will be built seperately, and will be controlled via a remote control. Therefore positioning will not be a factor. Do I run 16 gauge to the sub amp and than go down to 12 or 10 gauge after the sub amp to the sub woofers. Or do I use the same gauge all the way through to the Sub woofers?
    One more question? I've gone to alot of Sonotube web sites and there all great but I haven't seen to many people use bracing for the sides. I've seen dowels used between the end caps as bracing. Is this enough or do I require bracing for the sides?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Karri I wouldn't use 16 gauge wire anywhere in my HT given that 12 or 14 isn't much more expensive and takes the worry out of the equation.

The big advantage sonotube has over a conventional box is that due to its round shape any pressure exerted on a wall will be equally spread around so the net result is that you do not need to brace the side walls as the pressure will remain even. The top and bottom end plates however will flex if the pressure is strong enough which is why many people add bracing to them...though if they're thick enough and the diameter isn't that high its likely not required.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

When it comes to wire, this is one situation where bigger is always better.

As Andrew indicated do not put bracing on the walls of a tube sub. Doing that creates areas of unequal pressure, and that's not a good thing.

theAudioWorx
      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"