X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

800 Series - Which Black do you prefer?

There seems to be a lot of turbulence on the direction B&W has chosen for their new black finish of the new 800 Series. I created this Poll out of curiosity to see which finish is more popular - Black Ash or Piano Black.

If the results for Black Ash are overwhelmingly positive, maybe even B&W is listening and would once again offer this finish. :B

I have personally seen the new Piano Black at CES and IMO the quality is not up to the same level as the Black Ash. From certain angles one can see that the finish is not entirely smooth and flat, and on some models the edges were clearly not sharp and clean, but slightly jagged. This may be that these were prototypes, but we will wait and see if this is isolated to these speakers' or if it is inherent with the finish's manufacturing. Of course, these little quality issues would not be picked up from photos, but would have to be witnessed in person. These issues may be bothersome to others as they were to me!

I too wish B&W kept the Black Ash finish as the Piano Black is just not practical for a HT environment. Also, I hate seeing swirl marks and any imperfections on the finish are highlighted x1000 times. The dust is a whole other issue and one would have to dust these daily, and oh the swirl marks from all that dusting! :E

If everything is equal, besides the finish, which finish do you prefer and why?
    Black Ash
    49.21%
    Piano Black
    50.79%

The poll is expired.

• aarsoe
    • May 2004

To be honest I have never been a fan of the black ash look and as I haven't seen the new piano black in real life it is very hard to pick one over the other.

Like the idea of the poll, but think it is a bit early - so no vote from me yet..

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

I vote piano black, only because for years its been asked for and black ash dates back to the 80s in the 800 series.

Do I wish they offered both? Sure, but if I had to choose one it would be Piano black all the way.
      Last edited by Race Car Driver; 20 January 2010, 14:19 Wednesday.
      B&W

Comment

• 1oldguy
        • Dec 2008

Black Ash for this old Guy.For all of the same reasons you stated.Also because I prefer seeing wood not plastic.I feel like the Black Ash is more organic,pleasing to look at.
        piano is great for the wow factor but over the long therm piano will look like an eye sore.
        A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• scanido
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by aarsoe
          To be honest I have never been a fan of the black ash look and as I haven't seen the new piano black in real life it is very hard to pick one over the other.

Like the idea of the poll, but think it is a bit early - so no vote from me yet..
          Agree. I'll keep the poll open for longer than the 30days i set it for. :T

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Not to sidetrack the thread, but something I really would like is the same attention to the wood as say the Sonus Faber lines. Give me real wood with a deep lacquer any day..

Comment

• numberoneoppa
              • Sep 2009

Piano black. I've always liked the other wood finishes of the 800 series, but never cared too much for black ash.
              -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Skyblue
                • Jun 2009

So far 10 votes.

I voted black ash, but what I really mean is black ash for the lower models, and pianoblack for the 800d.

I still don't know why they don't just have both. It can't be that hard to keep the same production process they already got.
                B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Gremal
                  • Apr 2007

It's the wood that makes it good.

I have to wonder if the labor and cost that went into the wood finish made it easy for B&W to decide to nix the wood. The piano black is obviously a part of the teardrop midrange/tweeter portion of my black ash 802Ds, and it looks sexy. But I do enjoy looking at the texture of the wood finish on the main body of the speaker. I associate wood with musical resonances from various strings and woodwind instruments. It just makes sense to have a wood speaker, and if the 802D was all in piano black it might seem too futuristic if you know what I mean.
                  Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
                  Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
                  B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
                  VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
                  Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• 1oldguy
                    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Gremal
                    It's the wood that makes it good.

I have to wonder if the labor and cost that went into the wood finish made it easy for B&W to decide to nix the wood. The piano black is obviously a part of the teardrop midrange/tweeter portion of my black ash 802Ds, and it looks sexy. But I do enjoy looking at the texture of the wood finish on the main body of the speaker. I associate wood with musical resonances from various strings and woodwind instruments. It just makes sense to have a wood speaker, and if the 802D was all in piano black it might seem too futuristic if you know what I mean.
                    I know exactly what you mean and couldn't agree more infact.Music is organic in nature, so I like my speakers to reflect that, not the lights.When it comes to the previous 800 series B&W had the right look and feel to their product.That is all gone visually for me now.
                    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

Just from looking at the pictures I think the piano black is real sharp and flashy looking. Seeing them in person I might have a different perspective (like someone mentioned above, reflections on the finish in a HT environment.) Now the black ash I like a lot already, I had a hard time deciding between rosenut and black ash for my 804. But then again, I could be happy with all the finishes as the cherry 804 I demoed looked real good in person too, much better than you can tell from a photo on here. Heck, I wish there was an easy way to change their color on a whim with just a push of a button like you can change your themes and colors on your computer, lol. Cherry, rosenut, black ash, they're all good IMO. Piano black? Looks sharper and flashier in photos, but really couldn't vote until I seen it in person.

Comment

• RebelMan
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Black Ash works well in HT applications because they don't draw attention and thank goodness for that. In rooms where ambient light is plentiful they look like a poor man's attempt at passing paint for stain - they look pitifully cheap. The Piano Black isn't without its challenges but they don't look cheap and anyone who doesn't like Piano Black ought to stay clear of the Marlan heads because they scream the color and I LOVE IT.
                        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Gremal
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by RebelMan
                          In rooms where ambient light is plentiful they look like a poor man's attempt at passing paint for stain - they look pitifully cheap.
                          It's cool to be excited about the new piano black, but you just basically told about 40% of the B&W 8XX owners here their expensive speakers look "pitifully cheap".

My buddy once told me the 802Ds look like garbage cans, so I can appreciate the trashing here. :T

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

I doubt 40% of 800 series are ash black.
                            B&W

Comment

• Nolan B
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2005

purely subjective, but I really like the piano black.

Comment

• beden1
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Oct 2006

Whether black ash is favored or not, B&W should maintain this color option for those who already have black ash, and would like to continue their upgrade paths without having to replace their current speakers.

Actually, I have both cherry and black ash finishes, and think the cherry finish looks cheap in any lighting condition. The black ash is a very defined raised grain, and the cherry has a smooth finish (at least on my 803Ds versus my 703s)

Comment

• emig5m
                                  • Aug 2008

Originally posted by beden1
                                  Actually, I have both cherry and black ash finishes, and think the cherry finish looks cheap in any lighting condition. The black ash is a very defined raised grain, and the cherry has a smooth finish (at least on my 803Ds versus my 703s)
                                  Huh... The cherry 804S's at the dealer looked just as good as my rosenut, just a lighter color. Definitely didn't look cheaper than the rosenut to me!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Not the first time B&W has got rid of a color, I still wish they offered the Dark Cherry (red). That was replaced with the rosenut. I do agree however they should continue to offer the black ash along with the Piano black.
                                    B&W

Comment

• bnieman
                                      • Jun 2006

If you took all the colors B&W has offered, personally I would put piano black second last and black ash last... So my vote is piano black.

I just don't like when you take such a nice wood veneer and stain it black! IMHO.

Cheers
                                      Guide: Ripping DVD-Audio Discs (DVD-A) to FLAC in Windows

Comment

• Gremal
                                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bnieman
                                        If you took all the colors B&W has offered, personally I would put piano black second last and black ash last... So my vote is piano black.

I just don't like when you take such a nice wood veneer and stain it black! IMHO.

Cheers
                                        I actually agree with that, but in the case of the higher models with the marlin head, the speaker looks too schizophrenic with black midrange/tweeter unit, black grilles and then a different color body. Black also makes things look smaller than they are, which is a benefit in my room. The wood grain is still very visible.

Comment

• JustinGN
                                          • May 2009

I hate Piano Black finishes on anything; it's a b***h to keep looking clean and nice. I really dig the Black Ash finish since I'm a fan of neutral colors (Blacks, Whites, Grays), but it looks like I'll have to turn to audiogon to get it now. Ah well.

Comment

• crytklmass
                                            • Dec 2008

I owned a pair of piano black Mirage speakers, I enjoyed the color and had no issues with keeping them clean. How often do you touch your speakers in a day? and dust in your house. ummm, maybe replace your air filter. I owned a pair of cmd7nt in black ash and enjoyed them as well, but when you get into $10,000+ for a pair of speakers, they are no longer "just speakers" they are "ART" and should be presented as such. Like Sonus Faber's wood finish.
                                            When I purchased my 802d. I chose rosenut because im not trying to hide my huge ART work, rather I want it to be seen and enjoyed. I wish B&W would have offered more color finishes like Wilson Audio. They can keep wood, but why not offer more options, let the customer choose. They can make a smaller batch and custom make the hottest sellers later. I don't like the piano black finish with a white base on the new 800. bla, what were they thinking? should have left it black like the 802d.
                                            One thing's for certain, the sales figures will tell B&W if it's a HIT or MISS!
                                            BOB

Comment

• arube1
                                              • Dec 2009

the piano black will show everything.. fingerprints, scratches and dust like crazy...

Comment

• MikeFL52
                                                • Oct 2007

The results of this poll is quite a a surprise to me and the question I would ask is how many of the voters for gloss black actually have (or have had) piano black speakers. The answer is probably very few. I would suggest that most of them chose "natural veneers" and therefore do not have black as a preference at all as indicated in the posts above. I have black 803Ds prefer them since they blend better with the cover and tweeter and the wood veneer means that it is not reflective and therefore distracting.

Further I think they need to seperate the model lines and the classic wood veneers are associated with the 800 line whereas I would associate the piano finish with the CM line.

I do have piano black subs (2 SMS PB13 Ultras) and I do wich they had been available in wood veneer, but that was not a choice.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by MikeFL52
                                                  The results of this poll is quite a a surprise to me and the question I would ask is how many of the voters for gloss black actually have (or have had) piano black speakers. The answer is probably very few. I would suggest that most of them chose "natural veneers" and therefore do not have black as a preference at all as indicated in the posts above. I have black 803Ds prefer them since they blend better with the cover and tweeter and the wood veneer means that it is not reflective and therefore distracting.

Further I think they need to seperate the model lines and the classic wood veneers are associated with the 800 line whereas I would associate the piano finish with the CM line.

I do have piano black subs (2 SMS PB13 Ultras) and I do wich they had been available in wood veneer, but that was not a choice.
                                                  The piano black speaker I have are a decade old and were donated to a school. Read not taken care of. They look DAMN good for the age and the way they were treated. I find all this fuss about the speaker funny. The marlan heads of the original nautilus speakers are a "piano black"..
                                                  B&W

Comment

• caberxx
                                                    • Jan 2010

I have a piano black centre channel by Mirage. It's quiet beautiful, but a real pain to keep clean. Every spec of dust, finger print, etc. is extremely obvious. One of my kids also put a small scratch on it - no way to fix a scratch with piano black finishes. So when it was new and when it was clean, it looks spectacular. I now keep it inside my cabinet where you can't see it simply because I can't be bothered to clean it three times a day to keep it looking good. Hence, I would never get a glossy black speaker again - or car, motorcycle or anything else for that matter.

Comment

• BBibber
                                                      • Jan 2010

I have my 803S in Black Ash and it's my most favorite finish. I prefer that speakers blend with the environment. I’m also afraid that the piano lack needs a lot of cleaning and will show all small scratches and other little damages. The best would be that they leave the choice to the customer…

Comment

Working...
                                                      😀
                                                      😂
                                                      🥰
                                                      😘
                                                      🤢
                                                      😎
                                                      😞
                                                      😡
                                                      👍
                                                      👎
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"