X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Freddie40
    • Jun 2009

Matrix 802s2, thinking of rewiring

So,

I just ordered the North Creek crossovers for my Matrix 802S2 speakers. Which of the following is it best to do?

1) Install the Northcross crossover as they recommend, leaving in the old wire?

2) Rewire the 802's from the drivers to the connectors on the back of the speakers?

3) Rewire the 802s from the drivers to the crossover, using a hole on the bottom of the speaker to pass the wires?

My other question would be, how should I run the wire to the tweeter. The tweeters have a wire sticking out of them with a special connector. Should I leave the connector on and try to get a new connector for the new wire. Should I solder the 2 wires together (not my first choice. Should I use some other type of connector?

Thanks for your help,

Dave
    Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

In general all wire gets "old" over time as oxygen interacts with the metal. This process takes a long time and in general the better the cable, the longer it will take.
    However your speakers are not that young any more, so you could do it. I do however not think it will be worth while to be honest.
    If you decide to do it, it will most likely be a hobby project where the only reason for hearing any differences will be the many hours you worked on doing it.

Having said that I would not change the connector on the tweeter - but just clean it.

Very interesting in hearing how the new cross overs will sound. How much did they charge you for them?

Comment

• Freddie40
      • Jun 2009

The new crossovers were $2250. Why would I do this. Love for my old 802s. They fit my room perfectly, they are paid for and I like the sound. I am hoping that new crossovers and sound will improve the quality of sound. I have thought of upgrading to the new 802Ds, but they are a bit tooo big and $2250 sounds better than $15k.

Dave
      Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 20 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable, Crystal Clear Music Power Cords

Comment

• madisonears
        • Nov 2008

Congrats on buying NC xovers. They will make a substantial improvement in the sound of your beloved 802's.

I wouldn't bother with internal speaker wiring at all. What will make a further improvement to the sound, however, is to replace the crapola binding posts used in the NC xovers, especially for the mid/tweet circuit. The other thing I did to mine that made a huge difference was replace the tweeter/mid wiring inside the xovers, and remove all of the cheap tin-plated crimped lugs used inside and solder everything. The internal wire is stranded silver-plated copper. This works well for the bass portion, but it sounds awful on tweeters. I used solid core UPOCC copper with teflon insulation, and it really smoothed out the highs without any loss of detail.

Peace,
        Tom E

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"