X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robertwb70
    • Oct 2003

pics of my new rack and stuff

well I don't have a digital camera so I got a CD at eckerds with my last roll
    here-- http://groups.msn.com/robertwb1970/shoebox.msnw?Page=1

also put some pics in the gallery here

In the pics you can see my new flexy type rack,room lenses,speaker stands and a pic of the IB sub vent--all DIY-(pay no attention to the experimental baffle treatment on the speakers)

now I'm working on a subwoofer -as well as refinishing my old stands and rack for the step daughters christmas present

then I'll have to make myself some new stands and finish the room lenses

------------------
    +=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
    "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston
    =+=+=+=+=+=+=
    "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Robert, nice job on the flexy! I like the storage compartment and the varying thickness on the individual racks. Nice finish color, too.
    :T

Are you using the IB and the floor-standing subs? Did you have any trouble integrating them sonically?

What's the scoop on the room lens? I haven't really looked into them at all.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• robertwb70
      • Oct 2003

thanks--the IB still needs an amp really-I have a plate amp that I used with it,but now it has to go into the step daughters sub for christmas
      I did use them both for a while and didn't notice any problems though

the room lenses are from the jon risch recipe (with some modifications I found at AA)they are basically a copy of the commercial ones) -I think mostly the are similar in effect to diffusers but placed close to the speakers instead of on the wall-and each tube is stuffed to varying degrees so there may also be some resonance control/hemholtz effect-but I think not much

=+=+=+=+=+=+=
      =+=+=+=+=+=+=

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Very nice job with the flexy. The drawers are especially impressive

Is that the TC-Sounds closeout 15" woofer?

As always IB rule....... :righton:

David

Basically there are 2 ways to control sound, diffusion and absorption. Using a combination of them usually creates the best sound.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• robertwb70
          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by ThomasW

Is that the TC-Sounds closeout 15" woofer?
          yep that's the one

=+=+=+=+=+=+=
          =+=+=+=+=+=+=

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Thomas, I've looked into absorption and diffuser panels for Cinemeek and will probably wind up going with those options, but I'm curious about the room lens system from a "how dat work?" perspective. Guess I'll have to go visiting Mr. Risch's site.

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

David

Noodle lenses (aka tall tuned sections of 3" pvc pipe) are diffusers. They break up and scatter the waves hitting them (= decreased comb filtering problems).

BTW there a zillion different diffuser configurations including ones that are wall mounted panels. One of the more interesting items being used are large artificial Ficus trees...... 8O

Note that planar (dipole) speaker owners are more frequently in need of diffusers than those using systems containing conventional dynamic drivers.

theAudioWorx
              Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

The DIY de Elegante'... very nice work indeed!

Interesting about the noodle lenses.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide

Comment

• John Holmes
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Very nice job!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                  "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Robert, I've been wanting to make a rack like that for my bedroom. any pointers or details you could give on your construction and materials would be muchly appreciated!

CHRIS
                    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• robertwb70
                      • Oct 2003

well I could just about write a book-mostly it's just as straight foward and simple as it looks-mine cost about $125(but I was saving up materials for it for a while whenever I found a deal)

it's MDF with oak edges and plain old zinc coated steel hardware(polished with a drill and compound kit from sears) painted with gloss black and poly mixed(oil based) on the MDF and semi gloss poly(oil based)on the wood

I made my own rubber washers out of old bike innertubes-cut out with sharpened pieces of pipe and a hammer

drill the holes with a spade bit-works best for MDF

I'd be glad to answer any more questions you might have-let me know

=+=+=+=+=+=+=
                      =+=+=+=+=+=+=

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"