X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

Add 2nd Subwoofer or buy new model?

Hi gang.

I'm using a single B&W 675 sub with my Rotel 1570/1077 combo.
    Musically, I really like the subtle bass it adds. However, when it comes to the slam and explosions on movies, its a little lacking IMO. Plus, its difficult to get linear bass in my room.

I've been debating adding a 2nd B&W subwoofer or getting a new one.
    Since the 675 is replaced and 2nd hand models are hard to come by in Canada, I was thinking about auditioning the 610XP. The plan would be to use it WITH the 675. However, I would be nervous that they wouldn't sound that great together and would cause even more issues.

Or, would I be better off selling the 675 and replacing it with an SVS pb12-plus or similar model.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
  • worldys
    • Dec 2005

what speakers are you using them with?

in general, my preference is for two smaller subs vs. one bigger sub, particularly if you are using for stereo, you can get plenty of low end extension with the 2 x the air being moved, but you keep the bass fast and tight, bigger subs just seem slow and boomy for music imo

Comment

• chanlon
      • Sep 2003

Thanks for your response.

I'm using a set of PSB Stratus Silver i's that are crossed over at 80hz.
      I agree... I like smaller subs. How much of a difference would it make if it wasn't the exact same model I wonder? It would be the ASW 675 replacement.

Comment

• Opus007
        • Nov 2007

Two subs are always better than one .The problem is if you are looking for that slam and big boom you are not going to get it with your current subs.Even if you add a second sub.The SVS is a fine sub and would give you what you want for Movies.Two SVS would be better.And should blend well for stereo if setup right.
        I use to run one B&W sub but since I liked the boom in movies (I like the house to shake when something blows up) it just would not get me there and I was always bottoming out the subs.So I bought a indentical 2nd sub and even though there was a improvement ...I was now bottoming out two subs.
        So I sold them and came across some subwoofer cabinets which held 15" woofers that needed repair and now am running 2-15"subs powered by a seperate amp.For Stereo they blend in very nicely and for Movies I rock the foundation of the house and at times think my windows may blow out.
        Moving to woofers that will push more air is always a plus.Hope this helps.

Comment

• Top Cat
          • Jan 2010

As far as evening out the bass in your room multiple subs are a good idea. That being said you can build your own and get much more for the money. For what you pay for one good sub you can make two that would give you better performance.

Comment

• chanlon
            • Sep 2003

Thanks everyone for your response. My preference is a smaller sub for room space and tight bass reasons. I know a lot of people don't like the sound of the b&w subs or think there are better values out there - Personally, I think they sound great. They are very musical.

The problem is the ASW 675 I own is discontinued.
            I'd like to get a 2nd. However the replacement 610XP doesn't appear to be the same unit.

Here are some key differences - 610XP VS 675 respectfully:

1) Frequency response ±3dB 25Hz – 40/140Hz adjustable (EQ at A)
            VS ±3dB 22Hz – 31/110Hz adjustable (EQ at A)

2) Drive unit ø250mm (10 in) paper/Kevlar® cone long-throw
            VS f250mm (10 in) composite aluminium/paper/Kevlar® cone long-throw

3) Net weight 15.5kg (34.4 lb)
            VS 25.5kg (56.1 lb)

Comment

• wettou
              Ultra Senior Member
              • May 2006

Try JL Audio Fathom F113 and you will feel the bass
              Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• mrsagibit
                • Dec 2008

If you intend to run stereo subwoofer, its best to get identical ones.

Comment

• ray5
                  • Dec 2008

I recently got the JL Audio Fathom F112, it is amazing! The bass is literally visceral!

Comment

• theblue
                    • Dec 2009

my concern reading this is your crossover. It's a lot for work to ask any sub to go all the way up to 80 and you'll never really get clean, deep, low bass. Plus your speakers are very capable to running lower than 80 so you're running them with one arm tied behind their back.

Try letting your speakers run full range and cross your sub at 50 and see what you think.
                    Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
                    rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
                    B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
                    a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• sc2
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by chanlon

The problem is the ASW 675 I own is discontinued.
                      Even though they have been discontinued, there should still be some in warehouse stock.
                      Steve

Comment

• emig5m
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by theblue
                        my concern reading this is your crossover. It's a lot for work to ask any sub to go all the way up to 80 and you'll never really get clean, deep, low bass. Plus your speakers are very capable to running lower than 80 so you're running them with one arm tied behind their back.

Try letting your speakers run full range and cross your sub at 50 and see what you think.
                        I've actually been learning this over the past couple months playing with crossover settings trying to find the sweetest spot for the most seamless integration and sound quality. The thing is my 804S does most of the bass frequencies so much cleaner and tighter than my Sunfire True Sub Signature EQ does. I started out at the THX standard 80Hz but have been slowly working my way down. I dropped to 60Hz for a while, liked the results better, then dropped down to 40Hz now for the past week. This sub is nice and really powerful for a small box (which honestly even if I had more space right now I like smaller footprint gear anymore). Heck, even the Sunfire owners manual suggests 60Hz as the crossover point and not 80Hz which suggests that even they think it's better to have a lower crossover.

Originally posted by worldys
                        what speakers are you using them with?

in general, my preference is for two smaller subs vs. one bigger sub, particularly if you are using for stereo, you can get plenty of low end extension with the 2 x the air being moved, but you keep the bass fast and tight, bigger subs just seem slow and boomy for music imo
                        So far this has been my exact experience. My Velodyne MiniVee had much tighter musical bass and could really be set at a much higher crossover point over my Sunfire and stay clean and tight (I've had it set up to 100Hz before). The Sunfire is noticeably "slower and tubbier" as the frequency goes up, but the MiniVee just couldn't go low and loud. I view it as a powered woofer for adding extension and weight to bookshelf speakers - it just couldn't keep up to my 683's. The Sunfire....goes waaaaay further down, and scary power for it's size! My first impression using it with a movie is now I know why they call it a "true sub". Finally a garbage truck crashing off a bridge feels and sounds like the sub-sonic impact of a garbage truck crashing off a bridge and not just a bass drum....hehe. :lol: But not musical at all at the upper frequencies non-the-less. Mate it with some nice towers, lower the crossover as much as your towers can handle, and enjoy the best of both worlds. :T

For the original poster- if you're cool with going lower on the crossover, have the power to drive the bass drivers in your mains cleanly, and want a real powerful sub with the smallest footprint possible.....I really recommend the Sunfire True Sub Signature EQ (their flagship model). For smallest footprint, pure power, and price to performance ratio (you can normally find some good deals on them for nearly half price brand new - I got mine pre-owned from an owner of a Dynaudio dealer for less than half price complete with all packing)...really, hard to beat the bang for the buck of the Sunfire (considering small package) and I imagine it would totally destroy the B&W 675 sub for what a "sub" is actually suppose to do....

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by ray5
                          I recently got the JL Audio Fathom F112, it is amazing! The bass is literally visceral!
                          Yes I agree you feel it in your guts, I watch Fame the other day, not a great movie but the sound was unbelievable especially the bass, I felt like I was in a night club except I did get out with a headache because of the smoke and pounding :T
                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                            • Oct 2009

I have the SVS PC Ultra and LOVE it for Home Theater. For music it is good, but I would prefer a 10" or 12" Sealed. Depends on what you want to do with it. I don't think one sub would do everything I want it to do. The best compromise for me was the SVS PC Ultra. You can tune it how you would like by plugging one, two or three ports. I have plugged two of the three which sounds the best to me for a combination of music/home theater. Good hunting.
                            "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
                            -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• theblue
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by emig5m
                              I've actually been learning this over the past couple months playing with crossover settings trying to find the sweetest spot for the most seamless integration and sound quality. The thing is my 804S does most of the bass frequencies so much cleaner and tighter than my Sunfire True Sub Signature EQ does. I started out at the THX standard 80Hz but have been slowly working my way down. I dropped to 60Hz for a while, liked the results better, then dropped down to 40Hz now for the past week. This sub is nice and really powerful for a small box (which honestly even if I had more space right now I like smaller footprint gear anymore). Heck, even the Sunfire owners manual suggests 60Hz as the crossover point and not 80Hz which suggests that even they think it's better to have a lower crossover.
                              THX and dolby specs are good for beginners but once you really think about why the specs exist, the more you go against them if you're smart.

with bookshelf speakers it makes total sense to cut them off at 80 or 60 and let the sub do the dirty work down low. But once you get into some nice towers like my 683s or your 804S (some day for me), you really just want to let them run wild (no cut off). Then slowly integrate your sub into the picture to fill in the bottom and cross it off wherever makes sense.

What I've done with my 683s is to half plug the port (just the outer foam ring) because I find this gives the tightest overall bass for my room, and next when I buy a sub I'll possibly even fully plug it and let the sub run up to wherever the speakers fall off (I expect this to be no higher than 50 for me)

hope this makes sense, the moral is that the higher you cross the sub, the more you cripple it from doing it's main job.
                              Marantz SR5002 (music fed by apple airport express via optical)
                              rotel RB-985 THX (4 channels bipowering fronts, 1 for the center)
                              B&W - 683, CDM-CNT, CDS3 (sides), DM601 (rears)
                              a combo of haveflex and audioquest cables.

Comment

• emig5m
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by theblue
                                What I've done with my 683s is to half plug the port (just the outer foam ring) because I find this gives the tightest overall bass for my room
                                Ha! That's exactly the configuration I wound up with the 683's when I had them- using the half plugs (tested every which way, half, full, and no plugs.) No plugs was a little too boomy and sloppy (sound of the bass was a little distracting and unbalanced), full plugs took away too much impact for me, but the half plugs where just perfect. Strangely the 804S doesn't even have the half plug option. They're solid plugs and the center doesn't pop out like the 683 plugs....(even my 685 has half plug option). But the bass is much different in the 804 though (much quicker from start to stop, tighter, and more leveled out with no boominess at all and zero cabinet noise) I don't think you'll need to mess with the plugs when you get the 804. :T

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"