X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Relentless
    • Jul 2007

discoloration on new FST

I have this smudge on my new FST driver strait from B&W. Hard to tell if it is a scrape, a smudge of dirt, the angle of the grain reflecting different. Should I contact B&W or am I out of luck?
    I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
    Lou
  • kking168
    • Jan 2008

My 803D diamond tweeters have blotchy gray discoloration. B&W said that's normal and doesn't affect the sound. Not sure what they can do for you.

Comment

• 1oldguy
      • Dec 2008

Do you have a picture?
      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Relentless
        • Jul 2007

I will try to get a pic of it if it is possible. I know I doesn't effect the sound but it is the center speaker and the smudge is distracting to me because I am always looking at it. If I smudged it I would be upset but would have to live with it but it should not have came that way for the kind of money they charge.

My dealer said to try warm water and mild soap but I am going to wait to hear what B&W has to say.
        Lou

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Relentless
          If I smudged it I would be upset but would have to live with it but it should not have came that way for the kind of money they charge.

My dealer said to try warm water and mild soap but I am going to wait to hear what B&W has to say.
          And in the 800 Series DVD they said something to the effect of- "nothing leaves the factory until it's perfect." Personally, if you bought it brand new I would request a new driver. Like you said, for the price...they SHOULD be perfect. Did they specify what type of soap to use? Personally if it was me I would use something that dries real fast and removes stains well like a automotive interior upholstery cleaner such as Blue Coral or Turtle Wax Power Out in the aerosol spray cans and use as little as possible with the plushest soft brush you can find. Both of those brands work equally as good, buy based on the scent they use (I prefer the Blue Coral). :

Another idea that really does well with loosening stains and cleaning "what shouldn't be there" that I use for annual speaker grill cleaning (a little overkill for dust removal but I love the smell, hehe) is Shout stain remover (and much better smell than those two upholstery cleaners). But I just don't like the idea of getting the mid cone too wet... I would try to thin it down with warm water so that it could spray out of a Meguiars spray detailer bottle (ultra fine even spray mist) and again, use the plushest soft brush you can find.

I do like the automotive upholstery cleaner idea better because it dries so fast as well as taking out stains.

Or you can take the driver out and take it to the dry cleaners. :rofl:

Comment

• Relentless
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by emig5m
            the plushest soft brush you can find
            B$W just got back to me and said to try a new wire brush and if that doesn't do it to wet the brush mildly. If that doesn't do it they will replace the driver.
            Lou

Comment

• Ken49r
              • Dec 2007

A wire brush? Maybe a toothbrush or similar brush would be better to start out. I would think a wire brush would fray the kevlar.

Comment

• duketbrd88
                • Jul 2009

I would call B&W and tell them that you tried everything they said and have them send you the new replacement speaker. A wire brush WTF! I wouldn't touch it with any solvents. Just my two cents...............

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by duketbrd88
                  I would call B&W and tell them that you tried everything they said and have them send you the new replacement speaker. A wire brush WTF! I wouldn't touch it with any solvents. Just my two cents...............
                  And then when they do what they advised to do after the unit arrives back to them and the mark comes out, you get charged for a new driver.

I would do exactly what they say (as long as you remeber who said it). If it messes up the driver then so be it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Relentless
                    • Jul 2007

Yea guys thanks, I grossly misinterpreted the message from my dealer. After writing the post I immediately called the dealer to confirm. He said that they said to use a soft paint brush first and if that doesn't work to put a little windex??? on the brush. I asked him to repeat the windex part. I also felt that a soft tooth brush may work.... Thanks
                    Lou

Comment

• emig5m
                      • Aug 2008

I noticed when Windex puddles and dries it leaves blue spots (I actually use Windex for applying window tint). I think there's dye in Windex. Stoners Invisible Glass is a superior glass cleaner to Windex
                      (if not the best glass cleaner period). No dye's in Stoners.... I'd be worried about discoloration with Windex on a bright yellow cone....

How about a picture of the problem?

Comment

• Relentless
                        • Jul 2007

Just the brush did not get rid of it. Still afraid to use Windex h:
                        Lou

Comment

• 1oldguy
                          • Dec 2008

Windex on my speakers?Never.When paying top dollar you deserve better IMHO.

Comment

• Relentless
                            • Jul 2007

another pic, flash may have hit it different
                            Lou

Comment

• Ken49r
                              • Dec 2007

Just the brush did not get rid of it. Still afraid to use Windex h:
                              I would try the upholstery spot remover emig5m recommended and forego the windex.
                              And a definite no vote on the wire brush.

It looks like a dye came in contact with it and not dirt, so I don't think it is going to come off anyway.

Comment

• dan87951
                                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                And then when they do what they advised to do after the unit arrives back to them and the mark comes out, you get charged for a new driver.

I would do exactly what they say (as long as you remeber who said it). If it messes up the driver then so be it.

Kevin D.
                                Now thats customer service. :roll: They should have replaced this for you ASAP for the kind of money they charge! No way I would have been trying all that crap since its not my job to do so. You paid top dollar and should get a replacement right away thats perfect!
                                dan87951
                                audio guru

Comment

• duketbrd88
                                  • Jul 2009

dan87951, agreed. That's what i'm saying. The dealer, if there is one involved should be taking care of this. I know my dealer would......

Comment

• Relentless
                                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dan87951
                                    Now thats customer service. :roll: They should have replaced this for you ASAP for the kind of money they charge! No way I would have been trying all that crap since its not my job to do so. You paid top dollar and should get a replacement right away thats perfect!
                                    I am sure they will replace it but now I have to open up a $9000 speaker and call upon my soldering skills. They should send out a Tec to solve there issue and not put it on the customer, so we shall see. Soldering is something I can do but don't want to have too. I wont hear from the dealer until Tuesday.
                                    Lou

Comment

• Ken49r
                                      • Dec 2007

I am sure they will replace it but now I have to open up a $9000 speaker and call upon my soldering skills.
                                      The dealer will probably ask you to bring the whole cabinet in. I don't think DIY is covered in the warranty.

Comment

• emig5m
                                        • Aug 2008

Yep, exactly. You're paying the premium price for the premium product. The driver should be replaced no questions asked if it came that way from the factory. How do they determine if it was from manufacturing or the owner accidentally spilled something on it? Depending on how soon from the time it was bought till someone makes the complaint could be a tricky grey area.

If I remember correctly from the B&W 800 series DVD these cones are lightly spray painted to be yellow. Could it be that the driver got smudged during the painting process before the paint was dry and what you're seeing is the Kevlar's natural color? Or is the smudge obviously on top of the yellow?

Comment

• Relentless
                                          • Jul 2007

hard to tell by the picture
                                          Lou

Comment

• style
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Feb 2006

Hi Relentless,

I had posed this question to my friend. He work by Classe/B&W Swirtzerland.

the color from the FST is very normal: I think that you listen music from the B&W without the grill from the speaker: the color changing don't have any influence to the speaker/performance!
                                            the sun, air, smoke???is ou smoke,...and a lot of other possiblity can make a changing color on the FST.

the MUCH MORE IMPORTANT is the TWEETER: o te tweeter you don't muss have any "strange color or others!: i have received 2 new tweeters (garantie!!) but the FST is very normal..
                                            dont worry.

Style

Comment

• Relentless
                                              • Jul 2007

Using a magnifying glass you can see it is a scrape. The Kevlar is frayed at the edge of the cone right there. The grain is lightly scraped and from a distance it gives the illusion of a shadow or a smudge when the light bounces off of it.
                                              Lou

Comment

• style
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Feb 2006

ALL B&W serie 8 FST have this "problem/proprety"!!!!

with they are new -> great, perfect!
                                                but after 6 month (ex.) every person with B&W have the same!!!

this a "low point" bt only optical over the B&W!!!

nobody have aperfect FST !!! I have too a little "imperfection" but is so: if you don't agree this point you must choice another speaker!!!

Relentless, I you t 200%: I have posed and colled B&W ffor this point.
                                                "a speaker from 10k $$$$" and I have this FST???" Is not expectable.
                                                B&W say that is very normal, every speaker have the same FST optical condiction: this FST don't vhange the performance from the speaker! is you will change the FST (and NOT is garantie) after a pair month they will be like the actually FST today on your speaker.

I dont like this point from B&W but is so!

Style

Comment

• duketbrd88
                                                  • Jul 2009

My FST's are perfect STYLE, anyone else out there with perfect one's? I wouldn't expect anything less.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                    • Dec 2008

This man deserves better as I've once said and still say it.

Relentless what is the model of the speaker?

Comment

• scanido
                                                      • Apr 2006

The fraying on the FST is normal. You can usually notice this around the edges where the kevlar meets the foam. If you look carefully at the FST from an angle will will notice even more fraying from the surface of the FST. I noticed this right away on my 804s and 803s and have just labeled it inherent with the manufacturing/material.

On the grey smudge you have, that definately is not normal, as i don't have it on any of my speakers. If it is worth the hassle for an exchange, I would opt for a replacement rather than opening up the speaker.

Comment

• style
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Feb 2006

Hi duketbrd88,

rear the post from scanido.
                                                        I agree 100%.

for the
                                                        On the grey smudge you have, that definately is not normal,
                                                        I agree too.
                                                        but duketbrd88 you have sure the same like every other FStheT on the seie 800.

only this "smudge grey" is strange but the other is normal and the little
                                                        You can usually notice this around the edges where the kevlar meets the foam. If you look carefully at the FST from an angle will will notice even more fraying from the surface of the FST
                                                        another member have the same!

the "smudge grey" can you speak with you dealer... but "normaly" this point have not a sound changing....if your dealer have the opportunity to give you 2 new FST you are very lucky... :P :P ....in this point is too "how much are important for your dealer: a customer who spends a lot of money and it is important for the dealer can be treated better than a customer who buys small things!

well, duketbrd88 if your FST dont have
                                                        You can usually notice this around the edges where the kevlar .........
                                                        you are reallly very special!!!

how much ime have your speakers?? -> s new are perfet but with the time is really very normal!

Relentless:you have a 800d! or ???

Style

Comment

• duketbrd88
                                                          • Jul 2009

Style, i see what you are saying. i have 2yr old 804s's in natural cherry. Every kevlar speaker is going to have a little fraying and of course you will notice it more with a magnifying glass. It is a woven cloth type material. It is hard to tell from those pictures, it almost looks like a smudge from a dirty fingerprint, but it is not my speaker and not in front of me and if he is not happy with it and it is under warranty then by all means get it fixed. If i saw something wrong with mine and it bothered me i would have to fix it, it would drive me frickin crazy.

Comment

• Relentless
                                                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by style
                                                            Relentless:you have a 800d! or ???

Style
                                                            The FST's on my 800D's are not in front of me. The smudge hurts resale value. Not that I am looking to sell but if I have to take a hit on resale I want to be the one that damages the HTM1D, I don't want to receive a damaged one from the factory. It is starting to not bother me so much but I have owned 6 B$W speakers with FST drivers and this is the only one that sticks out to me.
                                                            Lou

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                              • Dec 2008

HTM1D hey,wow B&W need to do better,Clearly.That smudge isn't dirt more like an ink of some sort.I'd certainly want better for that very high end center.

Comment

• emig5m
                                                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by scanido
                                                                The fraying on the FST is normal. You can usually notice this around the edges where the kevlar meets the foam. If you look carefully at the FST from an angle will will notice even more fraying from the surface of the FST. I noticed this right away on my 804s and 803s and have just labeled it inherent with the manufacturing/material.
                                                                Yup, my 683 and 804S both had the same fraying. Not really noticeable unless you really get up close. I actually expected 100% pure perfection with the 800 series, right down to the fraying along the edges of the FST since you're supposedly paying the premium for the premium build quality, but I guess the slight fraying is just how the material is. But I can see how a smudge would be an eye sore with a bright yellow background (the color on mine is perfectly consistent) and the fact that they cost so much it should just be replaced if it in fact came out of the box brand new that way. No questions asked....this isn't home theater in a box gear at home theater in a box prices. My worry with trying to clean it is you have a chance of making an even bigger eye-sore than you have now (some materials permanently stain just from plain water). I have no idea how Kevlar reacts to various cleaners... Auto detailing...you have a pro on board. :P

Comment

• beden1
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2006

According to this article, Kevlar is yellow (not painted or dyed), and it says not to wash it. http://savvysurvivor.com.cnchost.com/body%20armor.htm

Care of body armor: Maybe it's not a good idea to leave the dust covers off, if sunlight degrades Kevlar?

Some things that shorten the life of body armor are water (including excessive salty sweat), sunlight (do not leave armor laying out in the bright desert sun), mold and mildew. Do not wash Kevlar with any kind of detergent. Old vests can get stinky and I know guys who have washed their military vests. Do what you have to do I guess. If you have to wash a military vest. Use warm water and a mild soap. Wash the vest by hand in a tub and use a scrub brush. Try to avoid submerging the vest in the water. The outer nylon is not part of the ballistic protection, the yellow stuff inside is the Kevlar, at least go easy on it. Do not wring the vest to dry it and avoid bending or wrinkling it. Do not iron the vest. You can wash a police style vest more easily by removing the panels from the carrier and washing the carrier in a washing machine. Do this frequently enough and the panels will never get stinky. On civilian vests, you can replace the carrier from time to time.

Treat police style body armor like an undergarment. Wear it over a thin t-shirt but under your outer clothing. Only prisoners and journalists wear it on the outside of normal clothes. The idea is not only to conceal the body armor, but to protect it from dirt and grime since the stuff is very difficult to clean and cleaning usually degrades service life. That is why cops usually wear a t-shit under the armor - it can get smelly pretty quick. They usually never wash it and dispose of the armor by the time it smells really bad.

One thing that can help a little is to wash and replace the carrier garment, although cheaper armor has an integral carrier. Most 'refurbished' armor on the market is made with old panels with new carrier garments. As a last resort, cut the panel open and remove layers of Kevlar that have been damaged by mildew or dry rot. This will degrade the vest, but you can combine sheets of Kevlar from two panels to make one decent serviceable panel and it will smell better.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Dec 2008

I agree cleaners could really make a mess of it.I would rather live with the stain then seeing the effects of being rubbed away through cleaning but that's just me.

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2007

The new driver is on its way. My dealer is under the impression that it is connected with tension clips so there will be no soldering involved.
                                                                      Lou

Comment

• dan87951
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2005

Man B&W quality is really starting to suck! A buddy of mine just bought a pair of 803S's speakers and when he got them unboxed one of them was missing the tweeter diaphram...WOW. Quick call to the dealer and that was resolved but boy was that uncalled for on a set of $6k speakers!!!
                                                                        dan87951
                                                                        audio guru

Comment

• 1oldguy
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2008

Man B&W quality is really starting to suck! A buddy of mine just bought a pair of 803S's speakers and when he got them unboxed one of them was missing the tweeter diaphram...WOW. Quick call to the dealer and that was resolved but boy was that uncalled for on a set of $6k speakers!!!
                                                                          Not a good sign at all.I hope this isn't the way of of the future.

Comment

• Obrut993
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Jan 2010

One of my 804S sealed from the factory was missing the foam for the bass port and accessory pack for the spikes/rubber feet.

Not a huge deal for me, but this is not what I would expect from a premium brand.

Comment

• Relentless
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2007
                                                                              • 317

#39
                                                                              I received the new driver. Now the problem is that my dealer gave me the driver and told me he was out of business. He has been limping along for the last two years and said he could of continued to get by but now he has been forced to upgrade the speakers on the floor to the new 800 series and banks are being tight with slow business. Well I feel bad for him and all of his customers because he was generous and a great guy to deal with. Now I am on my own with this install. I figure you just have to loosen the big nut on the back and the driver will come out?
                                                                              Lou

Comment

Working...
                                                                              😀
                                                                              😂
                                                                              🥰
                                                                              😘
                                                                              🤢
                                                                              😎
                                                                              😞
                                                                              😡
                                                                              👍
                                                                              👎
                                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                              Search Result for "|||"