X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TatoTato
    • Jan 2010

805 capacitors

I would like to first welcome. I'm new here.

I have a b&w 805. Already have about 10 years. I think I started missing treble. Should I replace them on the new capacitors? Will there be a positive influence to the sound of my speakers?

Sorry for my spelling but I'm using google translator.

• aarsoe
    • May 2004

In theory these capacitors should not dry out - but you can get a lot better ones than the ones in your crossover.
    Do a search for Mundorff or find something similar and then decide if you want to pay the price to do it - but you should be able to hear a difference for sure..

Comment

• SoundEngine355
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by TatoTato

I have a b&w 805. Already have about 10 years. I think I started missing treble. Should I replace them on the new capacitors? Will there be a positive influence to the sound of my speakers?

Hi TatoTato,

Now you are talking my language! I love upgrading crossovers, B&W are very easy to do.

Depending on how much you want to spent;

You need 4 capacitors 2x4.7uF and 2x6.8uF

Mundorf Supreme (Cheap)
      Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil (Expensive)
      Jantzen Superior-Z (Cheap)

Keep them the same brand and since their are only 2 capacitors per speaker the same series too.

If you want to get a better idea on the brands check out Tony's website:

Humble Homemade Hifi - Very high quality loudspeaker kits, components, upgrades, modifications and custom solutions.

I think you will find the sound of the speakers will improve heaps!

Shouldnt take more then 15mins per speaker to do and you will have a new pair of speakers!
      SoundEngine355

-------------------
      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

I have successfully used Teflon capacitors with very good results in my old 801's.
        Try to find something like this:

They are old east block capacitors and sounds so sweet you would not believe it.

Comment

• TatoTato
          • Jan 2010

I checked the price a set of capacitors, which gave SoundEngine355.

Mundorf Supreme – 220$
          Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil - 1040$
          Jantzen Audio Z-Cap Superior – 80$

If I understand the capacity of 10uF capacitors do not have to change?
          The most I like Jentzen - prize. Only if not worse than the factory?

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Is it what they use in the new 802Ds ?
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Antus
              • Apr 2008

what currency is that? it can't be US dollar.

I think at least, you should use Mundorf Supreme. That's what B&W use in the CM series. Since you have 800 series, you shouldn't use anything lower.

I also like Mundorf Silver/oil and Mndorf Silver, it is a lot cheaper than silver/gold/oil.

Mundorf Supreme – 220$
              Jantzen Audio Z-Cap Superior – 80$

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

How hard is it to replace capacitor?
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• TatoTato
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Antus
                  what currency is that? it can't be US dollar.
                  Can not write clearly that the rates are based on 4 pieces.

Please see the website of our distributor. Price is given in PLN.
                  ->KLIK<-

Comment

• sc2
                    • Feb 2008

Would it be worth the upgrade?
                    How would it improve the sonics?
                    Has anybody done this?

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

$309.85 for each
                    2+ $278.87

Madisound# MSGO-10.0
                    10.0 mfd Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil Capacitor
                    The MCap® SUPREME silver/gold/oil is definitely the top-of-the line model of our oil impregnated capacitors. In comparison with the Silver/Oil version, it technically features a further extended lifetime. More importantly, sonically the Silver/Gold/Oil version stands out due to its wonderful natural singing and exceptional micro dynamic, same time.

Technical specifications

Dielectric: Polypropylene

Metallization: 99.99% silver, 1% gold

Purity of silver: min. 99.97% typ. 99.99%

Purity of gold: min. 99.97% typ. 99.99%

Dielectric strength: 1 200V DC

Loss factor tan ∂: 0.0002@1 kHz, 0.0001@10 kHz
                    Steve

Comment

• sc2
                      • Feb 2008

Make sure you have the room to upgrade to larger caps before you buy them.
                      Steve

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

There's no guarantee upgrading the caps will improve the treble in speakers with 10 year old tweeters.

Before spending a ton of money on extremely expensive caps you should probably have the tweeters and your hearing checked.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• tyreman
                          • Dec 2009

Make sure that is indeed the issue.
                          Make sure its not a receiver setting or damaged driver etc.
                          I sure wouldn't be buying a couple hundred dollars plus in add on capacitors for anything.
                          The factory crossover components used should be fine if they are not damaged.
                          Heck even the electronics people use with the speakers wouldn't have that expensive electrolytics in them

Comment

• emig5m
                            • Aug 2008

My father got some old used speakers and the tweeters sounded so muffled out. He repairs drivers and when he took the tweeter apart, the ferrofluid was dried out. He clean it up and applied new fluid and all was well. Another possibility why a speaker would lose it's treble...

Comment

• mrsagibit
                              • Dec 2008

Replacing the capacitors will result in changing the "characteristic B&W sound". Depending on preferences, you may or may not like it. I too have a old 602 series speakers which are about 13 years old. I changed out the original electrolytic capacitor to Obbligato capacitor and replaced internal wires with silver wires. The music is cleaner, more neutral and not so warmth.

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                • Apr 2008

Ive got some 805s if i buy the best Mundorf what ones do i need and is there a step by step guide to do it??

Comment

• Antus
                                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jamesdaman
                                  Ive got some 805s if i buy the best Mundorf what ones do i need and is there a step by step guide to do it??
                                  805S is easy, just get Silver/Oil, Silver/Gold, or Silver/Gold/Oil. take off the old one and replace with new.

the more expensive one doesn't always means better. i'd rather think it's a personal preference between those three.

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                    • Apr 2008

So it's a very easy thing to do?? Do I have to solder the new new ones on?? What's in the 805s at the minute then?? If probably go for the silver gold oil so they match the new ones. Is there a video on how to do it on the web anywhere, god I'm not good at this sort of thing but I want to be

Comment

• sc2
                                      • Feb 2008

Use lead-free solder though...
                                      Steve

Comment

• Antus
                                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by jamesdaman
                                        So it's a very easy thing to do?? Do I have to solder the new new ones on?? What's in the 805s at the minute then?? If probably go for the silver gold oil so they match the new ones. Is there a video on how to do it on the web anywhere, god I'm not good at this sort of thing but I want to be
                                        YES, you need to unsolder the old one and solder the new one. When you buy capacity, u can also get some Mundorf solder which will be higher quality.

however, if this is ur first time using solder, i'd suggest you do some practice somewhere else before attempt to do it on ur expensive speaker. although it is not hard to do, things can go wrong, too. (like using scissor to cut a straight line, some people can cut it super straight, some will need more practice to do it right)

Comment

• jamesdaman
                                          • Apr 2008

If i got for the silver oil gold ones which ones do i need theres bloody loads of them lol

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                                            • Jun 2006

Capacitors should last much longer than 10 years. After 20 years the ESR usually starts to deteriorate to where you need to replace them.

I had a loss of treble on my S800's and the tweeters eventually failed. It was not the caps, apparently the previous owner had driven them somewhat hard.

You are also somewhat shooting in the dark with new caps. I used Clarity Caps for my B&W DM3000's and other old speakers like Klipsch with very good results. Read Tony Gee's website to at lease get a flavor for what each cap sounds like if you still think that new caps are necessary (probably not).

As far as caps that are $250 each, the Nautilus series used what looked like Bennic caps, which are pretty inexpensive. You usually don't see really expensive wire and caps inside of speakers unless the manufacturer uses it as a selling point. If you only need 2 6.8 uF's and 2 4.7's, you should be able to get very good quality caps for about $100 total (or less) - Check Tony Gee's site for his reviews.

Just make sure that the flavor imparted by the cap does not ruin the speaker.

Comment

• george_k
                                              • Jan 2004

Capacitors should last much longer than 10 years. After 20 years the ESR usually starts to deteriorate to where you need to replace them.
                                              Agreed, even with vintage audio equipment from companies like McIntosh, you seldom hear about people replacing capacitors on equipment under 20 years of age...I'd look elsewhere for a root cause first.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"