X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildmda
    • Jan 2009

Piano black and HT

In the new 800 line, do you think there are any significant issues with this gloss look and home theater?
  • 1oldguy
    • Dec 2008

Significant..mmmmm

That would depend upon ones tolerances.For some I'm sure it will be.Now that you can't see the wood grain I'm sure the need to have beautiful grain is no longer needed since you can't see it.I'm old school in the belief that more work goes into things that are seen.
    And please remember folks they will will be a gloves only affair in piano black.One nick and it will be an expensive ouch.
    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

My issue with piano or gloss black is all the reflections if they are infront of the screen.

I like the look of it though.
      B&W

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
        My issue with piano or gloss black is all the reflections if they are infront of the screen.

I like the look of it though.

I totally agree. I like the look of the piano gloss. I had a Velodyne DD18 in gloss black. Loved the looks. But the reflection of my projection screen was annoying. I recently replaced the DD18 with a JL Audio F112 in SATIN black. Looks and sounds great.

In my room, if the front three were piano gloss, that would defintely be too reflective.
        Last edited by htsteve; 09 January 2010, 09:57 Saturday.

Comment

• timjclark
          • Apr 2009

I'll bet the new speakers will look fantastic when they are all sparkly and clean. Not practical for my life (dust). To each their own, but I don't think I'd buy piano black speakers or subs. I do wish they would still offer the satin finish - that is what my 640's are and 19 years later, they still look excellent. Like 1oldguy said "One nick..." and I'd be seeing that nick from across the room. 8O

It seems like they went to add some zazz to the diamond series with the gloss finish, the chrome ring around the drivers and funky terminals. I'm sure they will look awesome at the dealership, but I'm soooo happy with the looks of my 803S's instead.
          -B&W: 803S, HTM4S, M-1
          -Proceed: CDD, PDP, PRE, AMP-2, AMP-3
          -Rotel: RSP-1069
          -Sony: PS3, KDF-E42A10

Office system:
          -Arcam DV-89, AVR100
          -B&W LM-1, AS-1

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Originally posted by wildmda
            In the new 800 line, do you think there are any significant issues with this gloss look and home theater?
            I like the wood myself
            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Hammie
              • Oct 2005

I'm a wood type of guy. I wouldn't even buy my piano in gloss black. It would be Mahoghany. :shrug:
              Panasonic TC-P65VT30
              Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
              Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
              Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
              B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
              Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
              My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
              Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                • Apr 2006

I am not a fan of piano black either. I never could own one of the awesome Pioneer Elite plasmas for that reason alone. I always liked Runco's brushed aluminum flat panel bezels. Satin or "black ash" is the way to go if you do not want a colored wood IMHO.

Comment

• wildmda
                  • Jan 2009

Better resale on black ash or piano black?

Comment

• wildmda
                    • Jan 2009

[QUOTE=wildmda]Better resale on black ash or piano black?[/QUOTE

Make that... is it likely better resale on current 802d black ash or new 802d piano black?

Comment

• aquaanox
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by wildmda
                      if you accidently ding the finish on the piano black, it is impossible to repair first hand experience here.. wont buy again.. plus it swirls like crazy after a while.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                        • Dec 2008

Piano black after a couple of years of cleaning will look horrendous.But if you like swirls and can live with the build up of micro-scratches that will show up on piano black every time you clean them,your in luck.Sometimes, Somethings shouldn't be glossed over.Pun intended :W .
                        A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• scanido
                          • Apr 2006

Piano black looks great when new and shiny, but they can't stand the time as well as the wood finishes IMO. The inherent swirl marks of the finish would annoy me as mush as the reflections from the plasma.

Here's hoping the drivers/x-overs are compatible with the older line.

Comment

• emig5m
                            • Aug 2008

My Sunfire sub has a gloss finish and it had swirls when I purchased it (used). The key thing is to use automotive quality microfiber rags to clean/dust (not all are created equal - make sure to research a good quality brand). Automotive polish such as Meguiars swirl remover 2.0 will take the swirls completely out, which was the first thing I did to my pre-owned sunfire when I got it home. DO NOT EVER USE PAPER TOWELS!!! ON ANYTHING!! lol. :E Plush automotive detailer quality microfiber towels only! :T :B

Comment

• wildmda
                              • Jan 2009

curious, what was has been better selling, rosenut or black ash and by about how far?

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"