X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arube1
    • Dec 2009

New 804d or prior version 803d?

if i can get the new 804d at the approx same price as the 803d previous model what would you get? i like the smaller size of the 804d but is the older 803d still a better speaker? thanks....
  • audiofiel10
    • Nov 2009

I don't think anyone will be able to tell you until auditioned, but just on the basis of the old 804s, 803s and 803d, I would say the old 803d is the better deal if you can get those at a good price. The 803s was always substantially better than the 804s, more bass punch, broader soundstage, just a better speaker, the 803d added diamond to that, although a little heavy on the bass. But still, I think the new 804d might be better than the old 804s, but due to smaller cabinet, will still not be as good as the old 803d.

But those are just my thoughts...

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

If it's between the "old" 803D and the "new" 804D, then the "old" would be my choice. I felt the 803D did a better job with the midrange and bass on 2-channel listening when I was demoing my 804S's. I doubt that they changed much with the 804D.

So, my pick is the "old" 803D.
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30
      Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
      Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
      Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
      B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
      Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
      My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
      Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• dan87951
        • Nov 2005

No doubt 803D will be the better speaker. Law of physics apply.. as you get a bigger cabinet and more bass drivers. Sound stange should be dramaticly improved as well as over lower end punch. As another poster said even the standard 803 was a big improvement over the 804 and I have to agree.
        dan87951
        audio guru

Comment

• emig5m
          • Aug 2008

This is his/her second post about this so size must be a real issue. I would just get the 804D and crossover to a decent sub. And you might be surprised that the new 804D might have better crossovers and revised driver internals that might make it have more subtle detail than the previous generation 803D. I thought I read the Diamond tweeters have been revised to make them sound more open? Just get the 804D, you obviously want the smaller footprint and I doubt the 804D is going to disappoint in the sound quality department.

Comment

• arube1
            • Dec 2009

thanks for the replies ( i am a him ) you are right i did post the question twice- once before the new launch and now afterwards after i thought someone may have seen the new speakers , etc.. i saw the older version 803d yesterday again and now think it is not really much bigger than the old 804s and what i think is the exact same size new 804d....so now leaning to just grabbing the 803d's and moving on with life

Comment

• duketbrd88
              • Jul 2009

Grab the 803d's and run if you have the money and never look back. They will hold there value and they still have the diamond tweeter. They old version will be hard to get, i would grab them if i had the cash. I like the new look, but for the price difference i can't imagine the sound difference would justify the huge price increase.

Comment

• William
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by duketbrd88
                Grab the 803d's and run if you have the money and never look back. They will hold there value and they still have the diamond tweeter. They old version will be hard to get, i would grab them if i had the cash. I like the new look, but for the price difference i can't imagine the sound difference would justify the huge price increase.
                Ditto, the 804's just don't have the punch or present's that the 803's have. The old saying: "there's no replacement for displacement" rings 100% true in this case.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                  • Dec 2008

Sound advice:}
                  A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• htsteve
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

arube1,

Excellent choice. You will enjoy them. What are you running today for main speakers? Also, what are you driving them with. 803D's really need an external amp to drive them, not a receiver. The more current you throw at them, the better the performance.

Hope this helps?

Comment

• KyaDawn
                      • Mar 2008

Without having head the new 804 Diamonds, I still think the current 803Ds would be superior, for all the reasons already stated. However, if it was between the choice of the current 803S and the new 804 Diamond, I think that's a different story... :B

Comment

• Antus
                        • Apr 2008

i think the old 803D will have a better overall sound from top to bottom. however, the new 804 diamond might have better top end due to the upgraded crossover.

also depends on your room size. if you have a smallish room, (say 300 to 500 sq/ft) i'd say 804 diamond will work. if you have a larger room, you may need 803D to fill the space.

another thing, if you like the piano black or magnet attaching speaker grill, go for 804 diamond.

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Antus
                          i think the old 803D will have a better overall sound from top to bottom. however, the new 804 diamond might have better top end due to the upgraded crossover.

also depends on your room size. if you have a smallish room, (say 300 to 500 sq/ft) i'd say 804 diamond will work. if you have a larger room, you may need 803D to fill the space.

another thing, if you like the piano black or magnet attaching speaker grill, go for 804 diamond.

I bet good money the crossovers are almost the same and no-one would be able to pick the old or new one in a blind test.

old 803D over new 804D (Extra woofer)
                          new 803D over old 803D (If they are the same price, otherwise whichever is cheaper)

bottom line is 803D will sound "fuller" due to the extra woofer than the 804S/D

Another thing on the "upgraded" crossover its probally the same crossover just they have changed capacitor brands. Don't sell out to marketing!
                          SoundEngine355

-------------------
                          [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• Briz vegas
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Sorry but this tbread sums up what is wrong with much of the advice that is given out on audio forums.

This is all just guess work.

Crossovers and drivers are the big difference between the 802D and the 800D. Many forum members in the past who compared the two happily payed the price difference.

The changes that B&W have made have the potential to improve the all important midrange. In addition my dealer has warned me of the difficulty in driving the 803D at its potential, even with my amp which is rated at 300W into a 4ohm load. It is quite possible that the 804 diamond may sound better depending on the amp being used, or regrdless of the amp (within reason)

You can't even go with the speakers that looks best as no one has seen the 804 Diamond yet. If it is the 803s cabinet it may look better in the piano finish than an 803D.

Buying based on the advice in this thread is probably no better than just flipping a coin.
                            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Briz vegas
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Just seen the photo on the other thread - so it is possible to pick based on looks.
                              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• emig5m
                                • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                                The changes that B&W have made have the potential to improve the all important midrange.
                                That's exactly what I was thinking. Any improvements to the drivers and crossover can make the new 804D perform and sound better on the top end than the older 803D. Crossover to a good sub or two (which most people already have one) and the bass capability of each speaker is less important.

Just seen the photo on the other thread - so it is possible to pick based on looks.
                                I think the 804D in piano black is one sharp looking speaker! If I can get 50% off I'll take a pair. :rofl:

Comment

• dan87951
                                  • Nov 2005

As another posted sugguested don't give into marketing. Simple law of physics apply if you are looking for big full range sound.
                                  dan87951
                                  audio guru

Comment

• emig5m
                                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by dan87951
                                    As another posted sugguested don't give into marketing. Simple law of physics apply if you are looking for big full range sound.
                                    Well then blow away B&W's law of physics for $1200 a pair then. :lol:

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

I would have once agreed with the bigger speaker arguement partly because my 804s setup was bass shy.

With improvements to the system power helping my components (dedicated line etc) and the addition of bass traps in my room it is no longer an issue (the other side of the "its just physics" arguement).

The 804s is not bass shy if you can get the bass to your listening position.

That being said I think there are many camps in the hifi world and for some bass is king, For others balance and tranparency is where it is at, and there are a thousand shades of grey in between.

Comment

• emig5m
                                        • Aug 2008

I would have once agreed with the bigger speaker arguement partly because my 804s setup was bass shy.

With improvements to the system power helping my components (dedicated line etc) and the addition of bass traps in my room it is no longer an issue (the other side of the "its just physics" arguement).

The 804s is not bass shy if you can get the bass to your listening position.

That being said I think there are many camps in the hifi world and for some bass is king, For others balance and tranparency is where it is at, and there are a thousand shades of grey in between.
                                        Very, very well said.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

If i were to choose without hearing either I would get the 803D over the 804Di.
                                          B&W

Comment

• Mark_NZ
                                            • Apr 2007

Well said, although tonal balance can favour the larger loudspeaker.

I previously owned the 804S and replaced them with the 803D. I liked the 804S, but prefer the 803D in my large room due to much better bass weight and overall tonal balance.

Comment

• bombayteddy
                                              • Oct 2008

Having heard and compared the old 804S, 803S and 803D, I thought the 803S was actually the most satisfying of all; and am sorry to see them go. The 804S sounded "small"....which they are....to the extent that large-scale works seemed "squeezed", as though out of a tube of toothpaste. :-) The 803D, on the other hand, was somewhat overblown with an exaggerated "lush" midbass....seductive to some but not at all neutral.
                                              If the new 804D has a cabinet approaching the size of the 803S, it may well be the perfect solution!

Comment

• Hammie
                                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by bombayteddy
                                                Having heard and compared the old 804S, 803S and 803D, I thought the 803S was actually the most satisfying of all; and am sorry to see them go. The 804S sounded "small"....which they are....to the extent that large-scale works seemed "squeezed", as though out of a tube of toothpaste. :-) The 803D, on the other hand, was somewhat overblown with an exaggerated "lush" midbass....seductive to some but not at all neutral.
                                                If the new 804D has a cabinet approaching the size of the 803S, it may well be the perfect solution!
                                                The old 804S and the new 804 Diamond are the same size at 40.2x9.4x13.8 inches:

Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                                                Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                                                Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                                                Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                                                B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                                                Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                                                My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                                                Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Pricing is not as bad as many have suspected.
                                                  I do miss the 801D and the HTM1D from that lineup though
                                                  Not a fan of the new subwoofer style however. I wish it looked like the 855.
                                                  B&W

Comment

• Ken49r
                                                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                    Not a fan of the new subwoofer style however. I wish it looked like the 855.
                                                    Looks as if there is no other color option to the gloss black.
                                                    Last edited by Ken49r; 15 January 2010, 18:54 Friday. Reason: deleted portion not belonging to this thread...oops

Comment

• bombayteddy
                                                      • Oct 2008

Thanks Lou!

Comment

Working...
                                                      😀
                                                      😂
                                                      🥰
                                                      😘
                                                      🤢
                                                      😎
                                                      😞
                                                      😡
                                                      👍
                                                      👎
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"