X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alaraz
    • Oct 2003

need help/input - center channel

the last few days i've been delving myself into reading up on building myself a center channel. the more i read the more stupid i realize i am. I am more clueless now than before I got this crazy idea

the problem: I have an armoire with a shelf above the tv. it is only 5.5" high, therefore not allowing for a large (good) center channel. the wife has laid down the law...if it doesn't fit there, too bad....no speaker.

I was thinking of an enclosure with two or four 4x6 woofers with a 2.5 mid and tweeter in the center. is this feasible? i am unable to find any 4x6 speakers for sale on parts express and other places. the speakers i read about from yall don't offer this type of speaker (or i haven't found it). only ones i can find are car speakers.

If i can get this solved plus an enclosure type, then i'll worry about crossover mumbojumbo later

I'm no expert on this, pretty much an electronic newb, but am determined to get a good center channel that will fit in there.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Rectangluar shaped drivers aren't a good idea. And the only kind you're going to find are cheap car models.

You'd probably be better off making a MMTMM with shielded dual 4"/5" drivers on either side of a shielded tweeter.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• alaraz
      • Oct 2003

thought so.

is it possible to fit a 5" driver in there with only .4 leeway total on top and bottom of the box? or should i just try for a 4.5 inch driver?

I would like to use the same driver in all of the satellites, same tweeter also. Not many places around here for me to audition different types of woofers (aluminum vs paper etc) so am unsure what I would like...

I listen to a lot of classical music so clarity on brass instruments is a must. I read somewhere that metal woofers would fit this mold, and also for the tweeter. is this a correct assumption?

suggestions on MTMMTM speakers and on the 2way satellites are welcome, assuming i must keep each speaker in the 200$ range (each) except for the center, which of course will be more.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

It's a good idea to build a couple of kit speakers, before entering the world of designing speakers from scratch.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

It's a good idea to build a couple of kit speakers, before entering the world of designing speakers from scratch.
          I strongly suggest you take Thomas' advice, largely because of this black magic topic:
          crossover mumbojumbo
          That requires voodoo dolls, eyes of knewt, knees of bees, batwings, garlic, a black cat and a large cauldron, most of which is unavailable at Radio Shack. :E

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"