How to get a Target Curve for Equalizing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • intelonetwo
    • Jan 2003

How to get a Target Curve for Equalizing?

Hello All,
    Now that I have completed my diy 3-way speakers, I can now begin wit the equalization process using the Behringer UltraCurve Pro DEQ 24/96.

Among the many features on the UltraCurve (UC) are auto room eq, and correction. However, it best used with a target curve. I do not know much about them. Maybe someone here knows more than I do and can elborate on how to construct one and use it to start the equalization process.

Thanks.

MI-II-CENTS
    • Aug 2002

Look at Steve's measured curves for his dipoles. That's pretty much ideal for a pink-noise RTA curve. Quasi-anechoic MLS curves may measure flatter than that on the high end but the RTA (like the Behringer) measures the ambient in-room response which will be rolled off on the high end due to room absorption.

Comment

• sfdoddsy
      • Sep 2000

I'm not sure if this is the one Dennis means, but it works for me. The squiggles at about 5K have been flattened.

I also have a slight boost below 60Hz or so down to 20Hz.

Basically, it is a gentle roll-off from 20Hz down to 20kHz. But it is measured at the listening position, with an RTA as Dennis said.

Your Behringer allows you to dial in your desired response, and has a suggested one believe which from the manual is a 1dB octave roll-off from 20Hz which is about right.

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
      Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• intelonetwo
        • Jan 2003

Thanks for the info. Is there a reason why one would want a 1 octave roll off from 20 hz ending at 20khz? Is this to compensate for room absorbtion of higher frequencies?

MI-II-CENTS

Comment

• sfdoddsy
          • Sep 2000

A response taken from the listening position should naturally show a roll-off due to HF absorption. If you EQ it flat it will probably sound too bright.

Many people also feel music sounds more natural with a bit of a 'house curve' in the bass, ie a boost as you get lower in frequency.

Cheers

Steve

Steve's DIY Dipoles
          Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• intelonetwo
            • Jan 2003

I want to measure the in room response of my speakers at the listening position. Is there a way to do this with the UC and mic?

The Behringer piece is nice, however I do wish I had better printed support about how to use the features, because they are virtually non existance. The unit has a Feeback Destroyer Automatic calibration and I can not even operate it. No literature exist on how to operate this function.

Does the dbx provide better printed support?

MI-II-CENTS

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"