• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Hooking up car audio to my N802s..

:E

I figured that would get your attention.
    With the lady out of town for the next 2 days I have some free time to play with some of my car audio gear thats been playing closet duty for some time now.

Round 1 was getting a Pioneer Priemer copper chassis head unit and some old school Priemer ODR (Optical Digital Reference) Class A amps hooked up. These have no RCA inputs, they use optical inputs. I was very impressed with the sound! Not the first time I have dabled with hooking up some nice car audio gear to the 802s, but the first time I decided to get a stereo setup goin. The ability of the amps to drive the 802s sounds right on par with any of my home amps I have used.

Round 2 was hooking up my straight from Japan, Carozzeria (Pioneer) head unit. This is a 3rd gen version of the first one used, however it was never sold in the states. Again, I used the ODR amps, sounded very similar. This wasnt a head unit critical listening comparison. Rather seeing what ODR amps sound like and what kind of EQ adjustment they allow. The ODR amps have built in EQ that is adjusted the a proprietary Pioneer Cable. They do not use RCA inputs rather optical in and out. You can daisy chain up to 8 together and the head unit has optical in and outputs.

After seeing the difference in the 2 head units I moved on to a high end Sony amp from the same era. This was Sony's top amp of the time with no built in crossover. With this I added the Carozzeria network EQ as the Sony has RCA inputs (like 99.9% of every other amp on the market)
    Once again, the amp drives the 802s just fine. It sounds wonderful with as much bass and clarity as I have heard with other home amps. I am very pleased with this amp and hope I can use it in a car some day soon.

Some pics of the goodies

And random pics of the type of adjustment this headunit and eq have.

Some of the amps next up to bat. 8)

B&W
  • Ken49r
    • Dec 2007

Chris,

Just noticed the beer can used to reference the size of those amps. Those things belong in a rack.

Nice job.

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

That's one of those 4oz pony cans, right?

Very interesting experiment.
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30
      Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
      Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
      Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
      B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
      Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
      My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
      Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Race Car Driver
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

And tonights listening is brought to you by my recently aquired Sony reference Z50. It took me 3 years to track one down that didnt cost an arm and a leg. (it still was not cheap!)

This bad boy is from 1997. Sony wanted to build a "cost is no object" system to celebrate their 50th anniversary. The complete CD sytem consisted of this player setup. (looks are deceiving!) It weighs about 25lbs, just the CD player and tuner! Its all metal, machined aluminum with copper insides and was $8,000.

The entire "package" was about $17,000 plus custom install for the CD changer, 3 amps, 2 ribbon tweets, 2 woofers and 2 subs. It took over 3 years but I aquired the entire setup 2nd hand.

Not mine, but this is what it looks like

And here is mine

Right now I am listening to DSOTM, the 802s sound amazing. There is a depth I havent heard in along time... if ever? Its nice hearing a matched system. Wish I had a matched home system to compare it to just for shits and giggles. This is the fun stuff, comparing all these goodies that rarely if ever see use in the home.

All I know is right now I should be in bed but I cant convince myself to step away from the couch.
        B&W

Comment

• duketbrd88
          • Jul 2009

Very nice!

Comment

• jamesdaman
            • Apr 2008

How the hell do get car audio to work in a home environment lol???

Comment

• BlueSander
              • Apr 2008

wow, what kind of car was those belonged to?

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"