X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikesclee
    • Jan 2010

800d

I used to own the 802N driving with 2 pairs of BelCanto Ref.1000Mk2 as a bi-amp system. The sound is good but find the bass not very tight like the Wilson Audio Puppy series. Was told the 800D can produce that kind of bass as I listen mostly those Audiophile female voices discs (Jennifer Warnes, Linda Ronstadt,Salena Jones, Diana Krall, etc.) and Dire Straits, BB King and Stanley Clark kind of music with lots of bass. Someone told me to get the Krell (CX700) as the 800D crave for hi-current amps. The showroom usually demo with Classe amps which isn't that impressive. Frankly, I feel my 4 pieces of Ref.1000 should work fine with my Transparent Audio Wall Super. May change to Nordost Frey as the bass is much faster and tighter.

Can someone using the 800D comment their experience and I would like to know what amp/s they're diving it with.

Ps. I am not using it for HT, purely for hifi.
  • JargonGR
    • Feb 2009

I am driving the 800Ds with two Electrocompaniet NEMO monoblocks and the bass is tight full and really strong.

Yet, I believe that an even stronger amp would be even better and since we are talking serious money here insist on demoing them before you buy.

Comment

• Relentless
      • Jul 2007

I am finding that to get the incredible bass out of the 800D's you need a 600W amp. I have a very good pair of 400w monos(400,800,1600) hooked up to them and I can get the same bass out of the 800D as I can get when I have the 600w amp hooked up but the 400 has to be pushed harder to get it. Easier way to explain is it seems the more power you have you get a tighter bass with more punch at lower volumes. The 600w amp is having an easier time controlling the bass drivers so the top end sounds more relaxed at the level you need to be at to get that bass attack you are looking for. It very well may be that this is just my perception of what I heard between the two identical but different powered mono block amps but it was enough to make me upgrade to the 600W amps.

The room plays a MAJOR part in the bass of any speaker!!
      I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
      Lou

Comment

• stuofsci02
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2009

If you can I would give the Chord SPM-4000 a listen. I haven't heard it on the 800D, but I have on the 801D and I found the speed, clarity and tightness on the bass to be the best I have heard.

I listen to the same type of music as you it seems and also prefer a fast tight sound. Lots of Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler etc.. I am not at the same level as you in terms of setup, but I found the Chord SPM-650 the best sound for me in my price range.
        Main System:
        B&W 801D
        Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
        Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
        Oppo BDP-105
        Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
        B&W CM7
        Emotiva UMC-1
        Emotiva UPA-2
        Oppo BDP-83SE
        Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• jericho
          • Dec 2004

Give the McIntosh 1.2 KW a try on those 800D's

Comment

• aarsoe
            • May 2004

Not being an owner of a pair of 800D's I don't know if this is valid input - but I suspect that my observations on the 802D's will be similar on the 800D's anyway.
            Don't think this about the amount of power - but more the ability to deliver a lot of current at low resistance - and at odd frequencies.
            Sure - the bigger the amp, then normally also the better ability to deliver current, but that is not always the case. If so a PA amp should do wonders and most people would agree that it does not do so in general.

Comment

• Eliav
              • Jul 2005

I drive the 800d with Classe CAM 400 x 2. Bass is tight, loud and refined. I have heard the 801d driven by a Levinson 350x2 amp, which sounded great and warm. Please note that bass production is an integration of your system and room acoustics. I spent substantial amounts of time and money on acoustic treatment for my room . It is still much cheaper to treat the room than to upgrade to a higher output amplifier, which IMHO may not necessarily going to improve the results.
              :T Socrat

Comment

• Relentless
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by aarsoe
                Not being an owner of a pair of 800D's I don't know if this is valid input - but I suspect that my observations on the 802D's will be similar on the 800D's anyway.
                Don't think this about the amount of power - but more the ability to deliver a lot of current at low resistance - and at odd frequencies.
                Sure - the bigger the amp, then normally also the better ability to deliver current, but that is not always the case.
                Agreed. It is not always about wattage. Evolution One is 450w of class A power and it is clearly better than the Evo 600 and a toss up against the Evo 900.
                I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death...
                Lou

Comment

• mikesclee
                  • Jan 2010

800d

Originally posted by Relentless
                  I am finding that to get the incredible bass out of the 800D's you need a 600W amp. I have a very good pair of 400w monos(400,800,1600) hooked up to them and I can get the same bass out of the 800D as I can get when I have the 600w amp hooked up but the 400 has to be pushed harder to get it. Easier way to explain is it seems the more power you have you get a tighter bass with more punch at lower volumes. The 600w amp is having an easier time controlling the bass drivers so the top end sounds more relaxed at the level you need to be at to get that bass attack you are looking for. It very well may be that this is just my perception of what I heard between the two identical but different powered mono block amps but it was enough to make me upgrade to the 600W amps.

The room plays a MAJOR part in the bass of any speaker!!

The BelCanto Ref.100 Mk2 is rated at 500wpc meaning I'm having 1000wpc to drive each speaker at 8 ohm which is more than what most speakers ever need. I used to play with Krell driving the Apogee speakers and it works perfectly. Reason to get the BelCanto Class D amp is for practical reason as it can be left on permanently in the cabinet and it is still doesn't get hot. I'm also using BelCanto latest Pre3 and CD player. Room wise, I have a 18x22 ft hall with no acoustic problem even for my current huge Snell Type B which can go down to 20hz and still no boom. I've even once tried to use my previous 802N with my Triad Platinum (18" sub) which is used in my HT system and it is ok even setting to 18hz. But for hifi, I prefer no subwoofer at all unless one start adding active crossover. Only want speakers that goes down to 20hz and the 800d does and also have one of the best mids and highs.

As for cables, I still think Nordost is ok (expensive though) as it is still the best for fast and tight bass. Transparent Audio goes lower and more laid back. So it depends on what's your preference.

Will be going to Vegas next week and hope that B&W will be there and check if there's a new 800 coming this year. Good thing about B&W, it's resale value is much better than other speakers. Quad 2905 was still my 1st choice, but due to high humidity in Singapore, it is not practical and the panels need to be change after a few years to get optimal sound. Imagine 12 panels (6 for each 2905) to change and what it will cost. Had bad experience when using the ESL63 in high humidity room.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"