X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewMediAroused
    • Jan 2010

Help with B&W Setup in New House

Hi everyone - I'm new here. We just moved into a new house in Austin, TX and I'm looking for some ideas on finishing up our home theater setup. The speakers in the main room are the B&W CDM 1NT center and surround speakers (no sub or towers). Below is a description of the system that came with the house when we moved in. I am definitely a novice when it comes to AV setups, but am trying to pick it up as I go here. We are looking for something that is high quality but probably not the most high end setup available - the sort of setup that you can tell is really well designed, but not going to break the bank.

Based on what is already in the house, I believe we still need to purchase:

1. HDMI switching receiver (6 channel)
    2. Power amp
    3. Sub

The equipment in the house includes:

1. Main room: B&W CDM 1NT surrounds (2)
    2. Main room: B&W CDM 1NT center
    3. Main room: In wall speakers (2)
    4. House: In wall speaker pairs in 5 different rooms

I'm not sure of the in wall speaker brand or models, but feel it's safe to assume they were a good speaker when the house was built in 2001 (when the B&W's were installed in the main room).

Any thoughts on what specific models of equipment I should be looking at? Or advice about tips and things to watch out for when hiring a contractor or trying to tackle this myself?
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

NewMediAroused,

First of all, welcome to the forum!

It's quite nice to have that kind of speaker in the house.

I think you have already assessed your needs pretty well. A receiver to run it all. A sub for low end and a distribution amp (for the speakers in the other rooms).

You will definitely get recommedations from the forum. However, if you are comfortable sharing a budget for any item or all items, then we can focus in on really good suggestions.

The CDM series at B&W was in the middle of their range at that time (a decade or so ago). It's quite good. I used to own the same center channel as you have. A good match with B&W is Rotel. They have receivers and small multi-channel amps. There are lot's of good subs to choose from.

Are you open to buying good used equipment? You can find good equipment at good prices on www.audiogon.com. Also, have you found a local dealer to talk to? I'm sure some forum members in that area can make recommendations. A dealer will have new equipment, often have used gear and they can help with setting up the whole system (at additional cost of course).

Finally, how big is the main room? Vaulted ceilings? Any open 'walls'?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• BassThatHz
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by NewMediAroused
      4. House: In wall speaker pairs in 5 different rooms
      Does each room require its own music and do these 5 pairs of in-walls have their own amps built inside them?

Do all those existing speakers have the wiring already in place?

If you post a picture of the in-walls, maybe someone can identify the make and model of them. (or a detailed description of what they look like)

How many players/sources do you have/require? CD, DVD, Blu-ray, a Media Center, IPod, Radio/XM, LP?

By 6 channel I assume you mean 5.1 (5+sub)?

How far away are people sitting and how loud/deep do you want the sub to go?

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"