X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dan87951
    • Nov 2005

Ok this is weird. N805 Phase Plugs

I have a buddy that just bought a beautiful set of red cherry Nautilus 805's however when we took out the phase plugs the bottoms of the plug were melted. Its almost like the phase plugs got hot and were disformed. Has anyone ever seen this? The speakers sound fine but both phase plugs are melted at the bottom. Very weird...
    dan87951
    audio guru
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

I sounds like the speakers were played pretty loudly for a long period of time. Long enough for enough heat to build up in the voice coil to deform the phase plug. I'm surprised the woofers aren't blown. I suppose they could have been replaced however.

Eric

Comment

• audiofiel10
      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by hifiguymi
      I sounds like the speakers were played pretty loudly for a long period of time. Long enough for enough heat to build up in the voice coil to deform the phase plug. I'm surprised the woofers aren't blown. I suppose they could have been replaced however.

Eric
      Do these things normally get hot? I mean, if I remember correctly, they're in plastic on the older Nautilus series, so I guess that melts relatively easy, whereas the newer S and D series have metal phase plugs.

Does anybody know what they are for anyway???

Comment

• dan87951
        • Nov 2005

Interesting..I would have thought the speaker would have gave out long before it started to melt the phase plug? Guess B&W really does over build these things or they have been replaced?

Boy is that red cherry finish hot. Eric by chance do you know a place that can rebuild the B&W drivers? I'm sure he would like to get them looked over or replaced after hearing this.
        dan87951
        audio guru

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by audiofiel10
          Do these things normally get hot? I mean, if I remember correctly, they're in plastic on the older Nautilus series, so I guess that melts relatively easy, whereas the newer S and D series have metal phase plugs.

Does anybody know what they are for anyway???
          They don't normally get that hot. Anytime I've seen a thermal issue on a speaker that bad, it had failed. I saw a dust cap on a woofer from a Linn Nexus that had partially inverted due to thermal failure. You could also see discoloration on the magnet from heat. The worst one I saw was a customer of a store I used to work at (Classic Stereo) actually caught a Klipsch KG.5 on FIRE!! He brought it in and was hoping for a warranty replacement.

Phase plugs do a couple of things. One of the major reasons I hear is to minimize the amount of turbulence that gets trapped under a normal dust cap to smooth out the drivers frequency response at higher volumes. They also help minimize the mass of a driver so the motor has a easier time getting the driver to start and stop.

Eric

Comment

• dan87951
            • Nov 2005

Holy Cow caught it on fire? How did that warranty conversation go? ha ha

I will tell him to replace both drivers. Cant seem to find a place on the net that can overhaul these.
            dan87951
            audio guru

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

I don't know of a place that will rebuild B&W woofers. I'd check with B&W on replacements and also if the woofers have been replaced already. If they have been, B&W should have the serial numbers on file.

Eric

Comment

• ckunstadt
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by dan87951
                I have a buddy that just bought a beautiful set of red cherry Nautilus 805's however when we took out the phase plugs the bottoms of the plug were melted. Its almost like the phase plugs got hot and were disformed. Has anyone ever seen this? The speakers sound fine but both phase plugs are melted at the bottom. Very weird...
                Why did you want to take them out? and how do you take them out? You are talking about the black bullet-shaped protrusion, yes?

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"