Slight hiss in diamond tweeters of 800d - normal?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FALCODEAN
    • May 2009

Slight hiss in diamond tweeters of 800d - normal?

Dear all,
    I have recently - more by accident noticed a very slight hiss coming from the diamond tweeters of my 800d which increases when turning up the volume. I get the same with both my ssp300 and the cp700 as preamps on the cam-400. The others drivers of the speakers dont have this noise, the overall sound is fine, I am just puzzled by this hiss - does anybody have any ideas, thoughts on further diagnostics?
    FALCODEAN
  • Space
    • Aug 2009

Every electronic device emits a little noise--amplifier, preamp, CD player, etc. The noise is at a high frequency so that's why you hear it from the tweeter. Unless it's audible from a normal listening distance, this isn't a problem.

Note that when an amplifier or a preamp gives a spec for S/N ratio, that's how far down the noise is relative to the signal. As turn up the volume, the noise rises as well. There may be one component in your system that's noisier than the others, and you could try turning things off one by one and checking the noise level.

Comment

• Eliav
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by FALCODEAN
      Dear all,
      I have recently - more by accident noticed a very slight hiss coming from the diamond tweeters of my 800d which increases when turning up the volume. I get the same with both my ssp300 and the cp700 as preamps on the cam-400. The others drivers of the speakers dont have this noise, the overall sound is fine, I am just puzzled by this hiss - does anybody have any ideas, thoughts on further diagnostics?
      FALCODEAN
      I have minimal hiss from my speakers. as long as it is not audible from your sitting position when the system is on yet not playing, you're fine.
      Eliav
      :T Socrat

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Much better to have a little hiss from your speakers than an angry reptile hiss from your winters wood pile.

The more sensitive your speaker the more likely you will hear the hiss from your components.

It can be annoying when you first discover the little hiss but you soon forget it is even there.
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by FALCODEAN
          Dear all, I have recently - more by accident noticed a very slight hiss coming from the diamond tweeters of my 800d which increases when turning up the volume. I get the same with both my ssp300 and the cp700 as preamps on the cam-400. The others drivers of the speakers dont have this noise, the overall sound is fine, I am just puzzled by this hiss - does anybody have any ideas, thoughts on further diagnostics?
          FALCODEAN
          It sounds to me that you have ground loop problems

After having a dedicated 20 amp line installed, I cannot hear anything even with the volume all the way up it is dead silent

Before I had major hiss problems ops: especially at high volume with no source playing.

Cable TV, Dimmer switches will cause all noise in the line
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"