X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dean-P
    • Sep 2003

Speaker rebuild questions

I’ll start of with a story followed by some questions:

I picked a pair of Sound Dynamics 100s speakers(10″ woofer & cone tweeter) from a friend. The woofers needed refoaming, and after another posted question as to replace or refoam, the refoaming was the better option (thanks to ThomasW), so off they went. (still waiting for them to return).
    I own Athena speakers, asb-2 (fronts) asc-1 and now these SD 100s, which will go to the front and the asb-2s to the back. I want to build new boxes to match my Athena line…

Questions:
    1) Is it okay to change the box shape as long as I keep same volume?
    2) The vent is located in the front top left corner next to the tweeter; can I change it to the lower bottom centre below the woofer?
    3) If I increase the volume size to accommodate the new tower design; what size would be a safe increase?
    4) The vent is 3″x 14″ non-flared; if I could/would increase the volume how much would this decrease?
    5) As stated above for the vent size and shape, how much shorter could the vent be if it was flared at both ends?
    6) The 100s uses fiberglass insulation for dampening; could I use polyester battening instead and where should it be installed? Sides,bottom?

Thanks in advance…Dean

Just me and my Athenas
    Just me and my Athenas
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1)it's possible that the XO has baffle step compensation that's specific to the dimensions of the box. So changing those dimensions can necessitate a change in the XO
    2)Yes
    3)Depends on the T/S parameters of woofer.
    4)You could download Unibox or some other box design program. With it and the T/S parameters from the woofer you'll be able to calculate the effects of the changes you propose.
    5)see answer to question #4
    6)Yes, add damping materials to your taste.

You'll benefit from reading a book or two on loudspeaker design. It's pretty difficult to learn how to design, engineer and construct a loudspeaker by asking questions on a forum. I recommend starting with

"Great Sound Stereo Speaker Manual" by David Weems and G. R. Koonce

It's important to understand there's reason that loudspeakers are referred to as a 'speaker system'. There is an interdependent relationship between all the components involved. So changing one thing almost always causes a change in something else.

theAudioWorx
    Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dean-P
      • Sep 2003

Thanks once again for your info!
      I will probably just change the box volume from 12.5"x9.5"x20" to 10.5"x9.5"x24". I will add enough bottom material to make it stand 40" tall but keep the enclosure the same volume if you understand what I mean.
      This way it will look like a tower but still will be a large bookshelf.
      I checked into API support desk and they had not a clue as to what the specs were for the woofer but the guy who is doing the refoaming is going to see what he can find.
      Do you know where I might find the specs?

Just me and my Athenas
      Just me and my Athenas

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Nope I don't have a clue about the specs. There are some websites that post lists of specs but they are usually for the 'brand name. drivers. I imagine that your woofers were custom made by some OEM mfgr

If a person has the proper test equipment the T&S parameters of the woofer can be measured.

A ported box can be tuned by using just the box and port size alone.

theAudioWorx
        Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"