X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FALCODEAN
    • May 2009

800d in HT without center speaker?

I seem to remember a while ago having read a comment on using the 800d as front speakers without a center channel - in other words an HT system with front and back speakers only. Does anyone have experiences with such a 4.1 setup?
    FALCODEAN
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

The movies are not mixed 4.1 though.

Over the last 5 years Ive gone from no center, to baby center, to mid center, to large center to no center, to baby center, to mid center, to no center and back to large center once again.

I have used 3 different Klipsch Centers, Blue Room center, NHTM2 NHTM1and a HTM2D.

I can say without a doubt watching movies has been most enjoyable with the best center. No and small center, no thanks.
    Last edited by Race Car Driver; 27 December 2009, 16:14 Sunday.
    B&W

Comment

• Hammie
      • Oct 2005

The Center channel is the most important channel in an HT environment. I would prefer no surrounds to no center. I would always recommend the biggest and best center. I have gone from a small Polk center to the B&W HTM3S center and the difference is night and day with dialog and details from the center channel.
      Panasonic TC-P65VT30
      Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
      Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
      Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
      B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
      Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
      My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
      Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Skyblue
        • Jun 2009

I'm in a similar position as the OP. I might have to choose between a pair of 800D and no center, or 802D's with a HTM2D I would think.

What to do ..
        B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• Hammie
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Skyblue
          I'm in a similar position as the OP. I might have to choose between a pair of 800D and no center, or 802D's with a HTM2D I would think.

What to do ..
          I guess it depends on what you want in the long run. If you go with the 800D's, what center would you eventually want with it? If it's the HTM1D, you may only be able to find a used one within the next month or so. Otherwise, you will need to settle for the HTM2D.

The next question is whether you plan on waiting for the new version of the 800 Series or you are trying to get in on the current model before the price increase.

I know it is a tough decision, but I would probably go with the new 800D's and then get a center next year.
          Panasonic TC-P65VT30
          Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
          Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
          Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
          B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
          Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
          My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
          Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by louhamilton

I know it is a tough decision, but I would probably go with the new 800D's and then get a center next year.
            8)
            Id make the same decision. If I had the means to get 800D and had to wait for a center, Id go that route for sure.

If you "settle" you will always want more.
            B&W

Comment

• Skyblue
              • Jun 2009

Hmmmmmm...

There seem to be a unanimous agreement to advice for a center. But is it just me that thinks that the HTM1D and HTM2D are huge mf... ?

I might.. might.. well, probably not, .. convince the wife to get the HTM2D, but the HTM1D? I rather doubt it... :/

So, then the question is to get a HTM2D or nothing at all...

I see others have previously discussed it:

They too dislike the HTM1D's huge look. :/
              B&W 800 Diamond, B&W805S, B&W DB1, Classe SSP 800, DIY Icepower ASX2 600W monos, Ayre QB9, JPlay.

Comment

• 1oldguy
                • Dec 2008

Trust me ........Even the HTM2D is huge indeed.But if you have the room and cash to go with it(And your not moving anytime soon) I'd go with the HTM1D without doubt.You see I have a thing for the Bold and Beautiful.Always have.
                A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Imho the centre speaker is most critical with respect to multichannel sound. If you have the space and finances permit you might like to consider a setup such as mine, being an identically matched front end. Not only is sound not compromised but additionally there is a sonic advantage to having a centre with vertically aligned drivers. I have found there to be a significant upgrade in audio quality between my present setup (3 x 802D) and the previous (2 x 802D + HTM2D). This is not for everyone though as pragmatics do not always allow.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Comment

• Skyblue
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by 1oldguy
                    Trust me ........Even the HTM2D is huge indeed.But if you have the room and cash to go with it(And your not moving anytime soon) I'd go with the HTM1D without doubt.You see I have a thing for the Bold and Beautiful.Always have.
                    Fairnuf. Me too. I just don't think the HTM1D is beautifull. And the missus cringed in fear when she saw it

Comment

• 1oldguy
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Skyblue
                      Fairnuf. Me too. I just don't think the HTM1D is beautifull. And the missus cringed in fear when she saw it
                      Quite Impressive:}Nothing better than making a woman cowl in fear.lol.
                      :B :T
                      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• JargonGR
                        • Feb 2009

My wife still stares at my HTM1D and gets into "skeptical mod"!
                        I love that speaker and I hope B&W does not stop producing it!

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

If I could get the HTM1D I would love to have it. For wow factor more than anything else. LOL. Something about a 200lb center channel with 3 woofers...
                          B&W

Comment

• Antus
                            • Apr 2008

the HTM2D is bigger than i thought. the first time me and my gf saw it, the first response from my gf was... does it necessary to have that size of a center to have a good sound?
                            I have never seen a HTM1D in person. i would expect it to be really something.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Antus
                              the HTM2D is bigger than i thought. the first time me and my gf saw it, the first response from my gf was... does it necessary to have that size of a center to have a good sound?
                              I have never seen a HTM1D in person. i would expect it to be really something.
                              I agree, I have an HTM2D and it is indeed bigger than my HTM1's I have had. The cabinet is bigger the woofers are bigger. It is heavier.

I would love to come across an HTM1D for a good price just because its such a badass center. But wouldnt mind a matching 802 center if I were to go with a projector.
                              B&W

Comment

• JargonGR
                                • Feb 2009

Just a note guys since I hear a lot of you mentioning that by going with a projector an 802 can be used etc.

This is not optimal and unless you have a huge screen and seating distance placing a tall speaker at the center and raising the screen that high is bad.

You either install an acoustically transparent screen and place the center behind, slightly compromising video quality (my view), or you compromise your vertical viewing angle by placing the screen to high.

By all standards (THX, SMPTE) placing the screen above the speakers is wrong and you should not exceed a 30-40 degree viewing angle. The subtitles should be around eyesight height from viewing distance.

The ideal integration of picture/sound calls for speaker tweeters being placed at about half the height of the screen (and behind) so sound dialogue etc comes straight from subjects/objects in the picture. Since sound is directional apart from bass below 80Hz I hope you understand why is that so.

And this is why I consider the HTM1D the perfect speaker to match a pair of 800D/802DS if you don't want to use an AT screen for video reasons. Just raise it as much as you can with a custom base and then a tilt and all is nice.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"