X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeBob
    • Dec 2009

803s vs 685 for rears

I am wondering if it makes sense to upgrade my 685s in a 5.1 with the 803s. Any thoughts on what this would do for me in sound and surround and whether it would be overkill?

Or would it make sense to go 7.1 with 802d fronts, HTM2d center, 803s and 685s for surround?

Thanks for the advance
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by JoeBob
    I am wondering if it makes sense to upgrade my 685s in a 5.1 with the 803s. Any thoughts on what this would do for me in sound and surround and whether it would be overkill?

Or would it make sense to go 7.1 with 802d fronts, HTM2d center, 803s and 685s for surround?

Thanks for the advance

JoeBob,

With the advent of the HD audio formats, I definitely recommend towers in the back if the budget allows. The modern HD soundtracks have quite a bit coming out in the rears. I am also a big believer in system synergy. Having all the 5 speakers from the same line of the same make is worthwhile (800 series vs. 600 series). I have the same front three as you list. I upgraded this year to the 804S. I am very happy with the total system synergy.

I also believe in discrete channels. In other words, I believe a 5.1 system, well buit and executed (speaker placement, room treatments), is better than a 7.1 system with less attention to the full system execution.

So in your situation, the 803S's as rears would be quite excellent.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• 1oldguy
      • Dec 2008

I say keep it simple ...5.1 is the way I'd go as well.
      A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• specialized
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
        JoeBob,

With the advent of the HD audio formats, I definitely recommend towers in the back if the budget allows. The modern HD soundtracks have quite a bit coming out in the rears. I am also a big believer in system synergy. Having all the 5 speakers from the same line of the same make is worthwhile (800 series vs. 600 series). I have the same front three as you list. I upgraded this year to the 804S. I am very happy with the total system synergy.

I also believe in discrete channels. In other words, I believe a 5.1 system, well buit and executed (speaker placement, room treatments), is better than a 7.1 system with less attention to the full system execution.

So in your situation, the 803S's as rears would be quite excellent.

Hope this helps.

Which speakers are then better in my case.. I have front 803s/HTM3S and for rears thinking between 805s or CM9?

Darko

Comment

• htsteve
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by specialized
          Which speakers are then better in my case.. I have front 803s/HTM3S and for rears thinking between 805s or CM9?

Darko
          An excellent question. I like the FST midrange of the CM9 matching the front three. And that it is a tower. However, the 805S would provide pretty good system synergy. If the choice is between these two only, the FST midrange gives the CM9 an advantage with the fronts, so that is where I would most likely go.

The ideal solution would be an 804S (or the 803S is perfect). Matches the fronts and is a tower. A used 804S could by a good idea to keep the cost in line with the other choices.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• specialized
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by htsteve
            An excellent question. I like the FST midrange of the CM9 matching the front three. And that it is a tower. However, the 805S would provide pretty good system synergy. If the choice is between these two only, the FST midrange gives the CM9 an advantage with the fronts, so that is where I would most likely go.

The ideal solution would be an 804S (or the 803S is perfect). Matches the fronts and is a tower. A used 804S could by a good idea to keep the cost in line with the other choices.

Hope this helps.
            I tried to order 804s but not on stock anymore

So my solution is 805s or CM9.. I have to decide until tommorow..

Comment

• htsteve
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by specialized
              I tried to order 804s but not on stock anymore

So my solution is 805s or CM9.. I have to decide until tommorow..

Understood. I'm still leaning to the CM9's. Towers with the FST driver are more alike to the 803's than I think the 805's would be.

Either way, you will have excellent rear speakers.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"