X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • specialized
    • Apr 2008

Classe SSP-800 vs McIntosh C2300

Hi there.. I decide to sacrifice my self for the community and to give the answer the question which i ask my self, and i find a lot in the forums on the net..

In stereo which one is better preamp: All Around Classe SSP-800, or dedicated McIntosh C2300.

Speakers: B&W 803s, B&W 805s
    Amps: Rotel RB-1080 in biamped mode or normal stereo mode.
    Cables: Van Den Hull CS-122
    Interconnects: Audio Quest King Cobra, Van Den Hull D-102 III, Mogami, Van Den Hull Thunderline..

To be continued...

Greetings from Macedonia

Darko

p.s. When u expect snow in this time of year, and there is 15 degrees outside, seem that i'll replace skiing with something else
  • 1oldguy
    • Dec 2008

Please keep us abreast.
    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• mjb
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by 1oldguy
      Please keep us abreast.
      What help is that to the OP? If you're interested in following this thread, subscribe to it.
      - Mike

Main System:
      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• mjb
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by specialized
        In stereo which one is better preamp: All Around Classe SSP-800, or dedicated McIntosh C2300.
        My choice would be the SSP-800. As you say its an all rounder, but most people agree its two channel performance is excellent. And as an all rounder, it can grow with your system. I'm saying this having not heard the C2300 though.
        - Mike

Main System:
        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
        Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• specialized
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by mjb
          My choice would be the SSP-800. As you say its an all rounder, but most people agree its two channel performance is excellent. And as an all rounder, it can grow with your system. I'm saying this having not heard the C2300 though.

I wanted to upgrade mu stereo setup and becouse i have listen few mcintosh configurations i ordered c2300 without listening. And yes.. It's very nice.. Made big improvement in my setup.. In that period i found out that i'm almost not using surround at all.. But if SSP-800 is very close in stereo , then it's maybe better choice becouse it can do anything.. Anyway, i'll repost after i give them real chance each against other. In last few months i bought a PS3 as blue ray player, and also started to get movies/music in true hd.. So my interest is again bigger and bigger in surround also.. Again.. if SSP-800 is close to McIntosh in stereo, its definitly best buy in let's say high end preamps/processors.

Greetings

Darko

p.s. First few minutes on listening (still not critical), i had a feeling that mcintosh have better depth and more dinamics. Classe sounded like more gentle and more soft with very nice highs, but a bit laid back.. Anyway dont get this like real comment becouse i definitly need time to have the opinion.. I hope in next month while it would be at my place i'll have enough time to make a nice test..

Comment

• daniel-a
            • Dec 2009

If you plan to browse to used market, than forget the ssp-800, it never shows up. If that's brand new, it's another story.

Comment

• 1oldguy
              • Dec 2008

How much is the Mcintosh C2300 that your using?
              A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• specialized
                • Apr 2008

After listening few hours yesterday, and today this is the first impression.

Seem that Classe sound more sofisticated, more transparent not harsh at all..
                I like the highs which are not agressive and very natural, the vocals are so clean it's almost unbeleviable.. McIntosh is more harsh and more agressive , and missing some details.. So it's strange that ssp-800 it's more detailed, and in same time not fatiguing at all.. The same impression got other peoples (my girlfriend and my friend who is long time in the hi fi and have a lot of listening experinece (have big collection of music), and also different setups at home ).

This is for pure stereo. .So all other things in Classe seem that are for free (McIntosh C2300 and SSP-800 are similar priced).

This words coming from C2300 owner.

Greetings

Darko

Comment

• specialized
                  • Apr 2008

And after listening SACD seem that i like this SSP-800 more and more.. If i have to choose few words to describe the sound: Very sofisticated, very detailed, not hars, very sweet... Seem that as much as i turn up the volume there is no harshness.. (if there is some bad caracted of sound as louder the volume as more pronunt is that negative side.. Seem that i cant discover negative sides).

In stereo i was suprised that ssp-800 sound better to me then C2300.. But maybe becouse i use Rotel amps (which are under same house), and b&w speakers, maybe are more compatible each other then C2300 with the rotels..

Anyway, if u are thinking of buying a new preamp u should seriosly consider this classe

Darko

Comment

• Hammie
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by daniel-a
                    If you plan to browse to used market, than forget the ssp-800, it never shows up. If that's brand new, it's another story.
                    There is an SSP-800 on Audiogon right now for $6300.00. If only I had the money.
                    Panasonic TC-P65VT30
                    Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508 | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
                    Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR | Pioneer PL-670 Turntable
                    Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
                    B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8 | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
                    Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
                    My Bowers & Wilkins 800 Series Setup
                    Next Upgrade: Cables

Comment

• daniel-a
                      • Dec 2009

Originally posted by louhamilton
                      There is an SSP-800 on Audiogon right now for $6300.00. If only I had the money.

I was looking at it few seconds ago. Same reaction. Maybe by the end of January if it's still available.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"